closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Watchfinder website - Any tips?

Journeyman

Buying from Watchfinder website - Any tips?

I'm looking at a couple of watches on the watch finder website, around £3k to £4k range. Whats the crack with RRP vs making an offer, are they expecting customers to haggle a fair bit or is RRP fairly firm? There are a few of the items I'm looking at listed on there so I don't think they are super rare watches. Also paying by CC, rather than finance if that makes any difference?

Any advice much appreciated.

Andy

Craftsman
    I've P/X'd with Watchfinder before.

There was definitely room for maneuvers on the RRP of the watch I was interested in (Tudor Pelagos).

It never hurts to ask =)

However, when I went to PX the watch I'd got from them...

...They offered me 1/2 of what I'd bought it for.

That sucked.

Fortunately, I got a much better deal from another dealer.

Craftsman
    All depends on the brand & watch your after.

Rolex, AP & PP. there will be little to no movement on price

SydR
    I offered them 5% less on an Omega they had and was told to jog on.

Eventually bought one elsewhere.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've made several offers over the years. Only one resulted in money off and I bought it. All the others they refused to budge and I bought elsewhere.

FWIW I've never had a good offer from them when selling.

Journeyman
    Think I`ll give them a miss !!!.

Ive sometimes had a decent offer with them for a Part ex. Ive always asked for a better price though.

Some of the prices they offer you though...are extremely low!

I appreciate they are a business, and have staff and overheads etc..

Could be worth trying Parkers jewellers?

Ive dealt with them a few times, "usually" their prices are better....depends though on what you are buying/trading etc. etc"

Master
    i deal with someone in there directly, he generally can get me something off, i tend to always haggle with them.

worst case you cant agree a deal but its always worth a shot,

if you pm me i can send his email address.

Master
    Make sure you get all the spare links if you do buy from WF...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post

Exactly - massively over-state your wrist size on the order form.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Exactly - massively over-state your wrist size on the order form.
    Exactly!

Im a 20 to 21 cm wrist when I get a watch from Watchfinders!

Once bitten and all that...One time they offered to size the watch for me, great, 18cms please...It came back to me sized for 18cm...but no spare links!

Journeyman
    Thanks to all who replied, sounds like there's not much room to haggle. The zenith pilot chrono and PAM 00029 I've been looking at seems to be a few 100 lower than others online, so prices look decent ish. Just need to decide which to go for.

Craftsman
    If you've got something to part exchange, they may offer you more on your watch. In my experience, they have a floor price which they will absolutely not budge from. One of the sales reps accidentally showed this to me once on their system. So you could ask them what's your absolute best price and see if that fits your budget.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recently pxd the gold zenith ultra thin they are selling, they gave me 3k and retailed a smidge over 5k. Initially miffed but I couldn't get a sale on SC at 3, and I had bought the watch in 2012 for low 3s so wasn't losing much and never serviced it etc, so I don't think it was a rubbish offer in hindsight.

Bought a Zenith HW and traded down so that also probably affected the prices. Trading up is expect more room to play.

I spoke to them about probably 6 watches and some were fixed while others had hundreds knocked off easily, I think a lot depends on how long it's been there.

Hope you get the result you want.

Journeyman
    I’ve only bought from there once a couple of years ago and got a decent price. They matched a price on chrono24. Don’t know what they are like now but this was in the blue water store.

Be careful with non mainstream brands. Their 'careful authenticity check' ain't all it is cracked up to be.

Journeyman
    Thanks,

wasn't there something recently where a guy got caught selling hundreds of stolen watches in London, and watchfinder were reported to have been caught out by him on a lot of watches. What would happen if a company sold you a stolen watch unknowingly? full refund no questions etc?

Master
    It was a little while ago, but Nadeem Malick was found to have sold 535 watches to BQW and Watchfinder in just a couple of years. 56 were identified as stolen, but it’s not unreasonable to imagine there were many more.

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

If you had bought a “Malick” piece from either, I wonder if they would have actively made contact to alert you to the possibility….or would they wait just to see which watches were subsequently spotted during service etc and deal with them then?

If you had paid them £12,000 a few years ago for a steel Daytona that now turned out to be stolen, what would they refund you today?

I am told that Malick is “back in business.” Heads up.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 11th August 2022 at 13:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    If you had bought a “Malick” piece from either, I wonder if they would have actively made contact to alert you to the possibility….or would they wait just to see which watches were subsequently spotted during service etc and deal with them then?
    As I'm a cynic, I would suspect reactive - they'd just wait until a claim was made and deal with it. Makes sense financially that spreads the cost even if it's not the way they *should* deal with it.

It was a little while ago, but Nadeem Malick was found to have sold 535 watches to BQW and Watchfinder in just a couple of years. 56 were identified as stolen, but it’s not unreasonable to imagine there were many more.

If you had paid them £12,000 a few years ago for a steel Daytona that now turned out to be stolen, what would they refund you today?

Just sending you a PM of something that happened in the last month so all is still not well. Edit I tried but inbox is full

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just sending you a PM of something that happened in the last month so all is still not well. Edit I tried but inbox is full
    Thanks Ryan,
    I would be very interested to hear about that.
    My inbox here will never be cleared after the horrid correspondence I had from some tz-UK members (among them Mr LV Bezel Insert…..you know who you are).
    Please just send a message through the miltonaires site and marked for my attention. I’ll see it just as fast :-)
    H

Thanks Ryan,
    I would be very interested to hear about that.
    My inbox here will never be cleared after the horrid correspondence I had from some tz-UK members (among them Mr LV Bezel Insert…..you know who you are).
    Please just send a message through the miltonaires site and marked for my attention. I’ll see it just as fast :-)
    H
    OK email sent. A bit of an eye opener as I'm sure you will agree!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    OK email sent. A bit of an eye opener as I'm sure you will agree!
    Well, you sent an email to a site with the name Milton in it, but it wasn't Miltonaires or one of my others. My cousins are friendly and passed it the right way :-)

Thanks for sharing the details. Watchfinder has always had its problems and your experience would indeed shock many. You wonder how many similar watches they must have sold --- as well as the Malick / stolen watches --- which are out there in unknowing owners' hands.

I will never forget the fake President bracelet they had sold on a footballer's Day-Date. When I identified it and we spoke with them, the astonishingly naive response was "Why would anyone fake just the bracelet?"

H

Well, you sent an email to a site with the name Milton in it, but it wasn't Miltonaires or one of my others. My cousins are friendly and passed it the right way :-)

Thanks for sharing the details. Watchfinder has always had its problems and your experience would indeed shock many. You wonder how many similar watches they must have sold --- as well as the Malick / stolen watches --- which are out there in unknowing owners' hands.

I will never forget the fake President bracelet they had sold on a footballer's Day-Date. When I identified it and we spoke with them, the astonishingly naive response was "Why would anyone fake just the bracelet?"

H
    Oops! Thank goodness your cousins were more on the ball than I was ;)

Is there a reason the story can't be shared in the private members area of the forum?

I personally wouldn't buy anything from WF on principle. I don't particularly like their business practices, e.g. removing links to sell on later, I don't trust them and I definitely don't like their prices. Why would anyone in the know go near them?

Journeyman
    I used them once in March 2020 and bought a op red grape 39mm. They matched a price on chrono 24 and paid 4250 for it. Things were not as mad then as they are now Rolex but I was happy with that. It was 3 years old at the time so still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is there a reason the story can't be shared in the private members area of the forum?

I personally wouldn't buy anything from WF on principle. I don't particularly like their business practices, e.g. removing links to sell on later, I don't trust them and I definitely don't like their prices. Why would anyone in the know go near them?
    they can be good value for non hype watches as it goes.

Journeyman
    Maybe a better chance of deal if go in store rather than online

After my last couple of experiences with BQW, I won’t ever deal with them again !!! Watchfinder Are OK just don’t expect spectacular outright sale offers

Master
    I won’t be buying anything from WF again.

To answer the question - yes you can get a better price if you ask BUT beware what you purchase. I picked up a Linde Werdelin moonphase which turned out to be a frankenwatch. The paint was being worn off the moonphase disc which made for a contrast in colour that stood out. LW refused to touch it or even open it as the movement did not match the serial number and it seems someone put one of the LW moonphase movements into a double date case (poorly at that)

WF did a full refund once the problem was identified but it took some time and effort.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post

To answer the question - yes you can get a better price if you ask BUT beware what you purchase. I picked up a Linde Werdelin moonphase which turned out to be a frankenwatch. The paint was being worn off the moonphase disc which made for a contrast in colour that stood out. LW refused to touch it or even open it as the movement did not match the serial number and it seems someone put one of the LW moonphase movements into a double date case (poorly at that)

WF did a full refund once the problem was identified but it took some time and effort.
    When did you know about the issues with the LW as you offered it to me in a trade?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    I found out after I traded it and the new owner noticed the dial issue (which was getting progressively worse). It was then sent it to LW. That’s when we both found out. It was quite a shock to be honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyPP View Post
    Thanks to all who replied, sounds like there's not much room to haggle. The zenith pilot chrono and PAM 00029 I've been looking at seems to be a few 100 lower than others online, so prices look decent ish. Just need to decide which to go for.
    Just use the enquiry form for that particular watch.....(Hi, etc... What's your best price please....?)

With the 2 you're looking at, there may be a better price they'll give you, Rolex usually no discount.

For what it's worth, I was able to get 10% off a 2022 Omega Railmaster by just emailing them.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Interesting. I’d forgotten but, a few months ago, I saw a Rolex listed on WF which quite clearly had a replacement dial. No idea how that would be expected to affect the price but it wasn’t mentioned in the listing. I emailed them politely about it and got no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post

Journeyman
    I’d try elsewhere first.

Craftsman
    WF are very pricey - Subdial.co are much more reasonable on price. I’ve flirted with WF in the past, there was movement on the price of an Omega Seamaster, not a sausage on a Rolex Submariner.

Subdial, in spite of having very reasonable prices, entertained my haggling too. They didn’t give me a lot off, but I did get something - enough to feel happy I’d asked.

WF felt quite sterile to deal with, Subdial felt more engaged.