closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Panerai And Other Things

New Panerai And Other Things

Hi all. I haven't been very active on the watch front for a while as, after I received my Bremont from the company when I painted their airplane back in 2018, I felt content. During the pandemic I think I wore a watch maybe once a month, if that, and usually the G-Shock. I tend to assign emotional importance to things, so buying a new watch during the pandemic didn't appeal. Anyhow, a big part of my work life is travel, so returning for the first time to San Diego Comic-con in three years, seeing friends I missed so much, feeling like normal life is resuming finally, put me in a mood to get a watch I've been putting off getting for a long time. I spent about an hour in the Panerai boutique in Beverly Hills trying about 10 different watches, only to end up with the one I wanted in the first place, the 44mm GMT, 72h Power Reserve. I wanted to take the car buying advice and try as many as I could before buying, and for a moment I was quite taken by a blue faced Submersible, but in the end nothing compared to this classic design. I was especially taken by the 12h GMT hand which can be hidden behind the hour one, so when not in use, it completely disappears. I always use the GMT function, so for me it was worth the extra to have it, but I couldn't make the same case for the 8 day movement, 3 is enough.

Interestingly, they don't call these 1950 any more, as they have consolidated all models under Luminor, Radiomir and Submersible lines. Also, all of the new, sub-$20k, models I tried had steel case backs (this one is out of production now), and the sales guy said it was to keep prices lower, but he wished they added a few hundred to the price and retained them. I can't disagree. Useless, but beautiful feature.

Onto something else now... I actually had a watch based on my work. Citizen have the Marvel licence and they are doing quite high priced (for these kinds of watches) pieces inspired by Marvel characters. I did a promotional thing for them and they let me choose one to keep. This one was the most tasteful, but also based on elements from my designs for Black Panther in the movie, specifically the indices. It's not something I would wear, but as a thing to have it's pretty amazing.

And finally the state of the collection. Not a specifically spectacular one, but each watch has some kind of significance to me, except for the Omega, which I just like even if the bracelet is too small for me and it needs a new battery (can't bring myself to sell it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Hi all. I haven't been very active on the watch front for a while as, after I received my Bremont from the company when I painted their airplane back in 2018, I felt content. During the pandemic I think I wore a watch maybe once a month, if that, and usually the G-Shock. I tend to assign emotional importance to things, so buying a new watch during the pandemic didn't appeal. Anyhow, a big part of my work life is travel, so returning for the first time to San Diego Comic-con in three years, seeing friends I missed so much, feeling like normal life is resuming finally, put me in a mood to get a watch I've been putting off getting for a long time. I spent about an hour in the Panerai boutique in Beverly Hills trying about 10 different watches, only to end up with the one I wanted in the first place, the 44mm GMT, 72h Power Reserve. I wanted to take the car buying advice and try as many as I could before buying, and for a moment I was quite taken by a blue faced Submersible, but in the end nothing compared to this classic design. I was especially taken by the 12h GMT hand which can be hidden behind the hour one, so when not in use, it completely disappears. I always use the GMT function, so for me it was worth the extra to have it, but I couldn't make the same case for the 8 day movement, 3 is enough.

Interestingly, they don't call these 1950 any more, as they have consolidated all models under Luminor, Radiomir and Submersible lines. Also, all of the new, sub-$20k, models I tried had steel case backs (this one is out of production now), and the sales guy said it was to keep prices lower, but he wished they added a few hundred to the price and retained them. I can't disagree. Useless, but beautiful feature.

Lovely - I take it that's the newer 01321 as opposed to the 00321?

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Lovely - I take it that's the newer 01321 as opposed to the 00321?
    Yes, 01321. I know it has the newer movement, but I have no idea if it has any other differences.

Blog Entries
    Yes, 01321. I know it has the newer movement, but I have no idea if it has any other differences.
    I think the movement is a fraction slimmer but not sure the case is so visually, there should be little/no difference - I also think the newer movement has gained a jewel along the way. Awaiting a new Toshi strap over the next day or two to my 00321 a slightly different look so will post in the Panerai thread when it arrives. Enjoy your new watch.

Master
    Case is def slimmer, small seconds hand is blue. I love mine, don’t see too many 1321’s out there, here’s mine with the GMT hidden hidden……

[IMG] [/IMG]

That blue really makes it pop! I was offered a discount or two free straps. It already came with the leather and black rubber, so I took the discount, but seeing that makes me think I need to test some colours too.

Master
    Yes I went with the Blue for a bit of colour, matches the second hand perfectly- Then again I really haven’t found a strap that doesn’t go with it!

What is the engine in that photo? Looks serious.

Master
    What is the engine in that photo? Looks serious.
    Yeah it’s V12 (Ferrari 456) i took that pic when it had dumped its coolant and overheated….. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Yeah it’s V12 (Ferrari 456) i took that pic when it had dumped its coolant and overheated….. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Ow, sorry! But also, nice!

Onto something else now... I actually had a watch based on my work. Citizen have the Marvel licence and they are doing quite high priced (for these kinds of watches) pieces inspired by Marvel characters. I did a promotional thing for them and they let me choose one to keep. This one was the most tasteful, but also based on elements from my designs for Black Panther in the movie, specifically the indices. It's not something I would wear, but as a thing to have it's pretty amazing.

And finally the state of the collection. Not a specifically spectacular one, but each watch has some kind of significance to me, except for the Omega, which I just like even if the bracelet is too small for me and it needs a new battery (can't bring myself to sell it).

Nice PAM! Looks slimmer than the earlier generations. I seem to recall the 0321 which uses the same case was marketed at 18mm thickness..

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Nice PAM! Looks slimmer than the earlier generations. I seem to recall the 0321 which uses the same case was marketed at 18mm thickness..
    Just looked it up and it's 15.7mm, so a decent difference.