closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laptop advice pl - i5/8GB Vs i7/16GB

Craftsman

Laptop advice pl - i5/8GB Vs i7/16GB

Looking for some advice from someone more tech savvy than me please.

I need a new laptop for some light Powerpoint, Excel, Email, Browsing and a bit of Youtube/ Netflix. No gaming / video editing / 'content creation' etc at all and the 14" size is what I have at work which seems to be a good fit. Huawei seem to have some great reviews (all metal body and good screens) and the prices are really good. I'm considering this:
    https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/lapto...k-14-2021/buy/

For the i5/ 8GB version, it costs £450 and £600 for the i7/ 16GB version. Would the latter be overkill? The touchscreen on the i7 version would be nice but I'm concerned that over engineering the processor would cost me battery life and cause unnecessary heat / the fan coming on all the time...

All advice gratefully received!

Master
    For your use case I can’t see a justification to move to the i7.

In general it’s also worth noting that it’s not just the i5 vs i7 question that should be considered but also what generation the CPU’s are, in this case it seems gen11, the current latest gen is 12 so it’s a resent generation.

8GB was ok 10 years ago and the industry has tried to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers that it is still good today but in reality 16GB should be standard in 2022

Master
    If you can I'd go for i5 & 16GB. Check the screen quality as well - you'll be looking at it a lot.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, i5 and 16GB is not a combination that's available :(

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    8GB was ok 10 years ago and the industry has tried to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers that it is still good today but in reality 16GB should be standard in 2022
    I agree 16GB should be the norm now, but with the availability of various chips there is no rush with the manufactures pushing this forward, however given what the OP is running 8GB should suffice.

Personally I was try and find something with 16GB or at least something that I could easily upgrade in the future.

B

Blog Entries
    I ran a 4gb work laptop was fine for a year until I downloaded teams and it eventually fell over and the IT bloke moved it to 8gb…. As someone who runs multiple largish files that does the trick for me

My daughter runs a 4gb laptop and has zero issues for her needs

It’s very easy to overspec. V our real requirements

Is the ram in upgradeable slots? Could you add it yourself?

Edit, it is not upgradeable. I would not buy an 8gb machine without the ability to upgrade
    Last edited by ernestrome; 9th August 2022 at 09:58.