closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good God Impressive Roughing CNC Cycle.

Master
    Blog Entries

Good God Impressive Roughing CNC Cycle.

Master
    I know it sounds strange but I love watching these engineering videos. I used to work in a business where the lads were creating tool paths on Mazak? CNC machines. I remember visiting Hope Technology, a pallet full of blanks were loaded into a 5 axis machine. The doors close and 4 hours later perfect machined brake components ( calipers) came out.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I know it sounds strange but I love watching these engineering videos. I used to work in a business where the lads were creating tool paths on Mazak? CNC machines. I remember visiting Hope Technology, a pallet full of blanks were loaded into a 5 axis machine. The doors close and 4 hours later perfect machined brake components ( calipers) came out.

Steve
    You've possibly seen this video before, but the machining Hope do just to make the moulds for their carbon track frames is in itself marvellous. Let alone the frames! ( careful mind, this type of video has been classified as "crappy" by forum experts ;-) ) I have various Hope bits on a couple of my bikes.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post

Excellent, thank you!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You've possibly seen this video before, but the machining Hope do just to make the moulds for their carbon track frames is in itself marvellous. Let alone the frames! ( careful mind, this type of video has been classified as "crappy" by forum experts ;-) ) I have various Hope bits on a couple of my bikes.
    Magirus, I have been fortunate to go around Hope a number of times. On two occasions we had the full factory tour in the evening when it was quiet. Its so obvious the place is run by cyclists for cyclists. There are staff bikes everywhere. At my last visit they were just getting into wheel building with Hope Hoops and no where near the carbon expertise they now have.

They were doing a lot of rapid prototyping, at the time their bike lights were popular. Using three 3 d printers they were developing components in the morning, printing them and fitting them to bikes pm , then testing them over Pendle Hill or the Trough of Bowland in the evening. Then the next day armed with feedback, the process develops.

Many years ago I spoke with a Hope senior manager about providing apprenticeship services. Their response was, we wait until Rolls Royce trains them ( at that time literally next door) then we offer them a job! I was told when making an appointment, they would see me , but if it was a nice day they could be out on their bikes!

Funniest takeaway for me was the crushed nut shells being used in a polisher for final finish.

Lastly my mtb is bedecked with Hope bling, BB , Hubs and of course their beautiful 4 piston calipers and rotors.

A great company run by some really nice folk.