closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Mk II Case Refinishing

Omega Speedmaster Mk II Case Refinishing

Hi All,

I saw vervs thread about refinishing and wondered if anyone on the forum had experience in getting a Speedmaster Mk II case refinished.

I purchased a modern Speedmaster Mark II last year in the sale. It was the last that EJ had in stock and had a couple of marks on the case.

First one is a scratch on the shiny edge. It's too deep to Cape Cod, I think it could be reduced to practically invisible with a polish rather than needing laser welding. I have taken this photo at exactly the angle to make it appear as bad as it can be with a macro. The mark at the bottom looks a lot worse than it is and I could happily live with that.

The other mark is on the sunburst polished top at the 12 o'clock position. Again, almost invisible during daily wear and I have angled it to make it show up as much as possible.

I guess getting these refinished will require someone with expertise in radial finishing. Anyone had similar work done? Any recommendations?

STS seem capable or I could send back to Omega? I doubt Omega will offer any kind of warranty work on it because the marks were accepted by me at the purchase as I had no choice being the last model available.

Or maybe just stop being such a perfectionist and leave it?! Happy to take any opinions.

Master
    Personally, I don’t think the rubs on the radial finish merit a refinish. They are really prone to picking up rubs in that area… mine has a few small ones and I have babied it !!
    I think you’d end up with more marks on that within a couple of months wear, and due to the shape of the case there’s only so much refinishing you can do before you start interfering with the edge of the lugs.

Similarly, the scratch on the polished part I’d probably live with rather than polishing and affecting the profile.

Ironically, from your photos, it’s the damage to the bottom of the case side that would annoy me the most, so that’s the one I’d be looking to remedy. Hopefully you got it at a good price to account for getting it fixed.

Good point, think it might be best to leave the radial finish...to be honest, it is only in certain lights that it catches...straight on it is invisible...

The mark on the bottom looks way worse in the macro than in real life. In reality it's not as jagged as the macro makes out and is the least concerning mark to me...

Yeah I wouldn't worry about refinishing there as you don't want to be doing it unnecessarily even if a professional job does remove very little metal.

If you reach the point of really wanting it done then STS are probably your best option and are excellent.