closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice from any runners here

Master

Advice from any runners here

So, I feel a little like coming to a confessional...

I was always very active in my younger years. I haven't run for 15 years or so but recently (I've been out once a week for the last 5 weeks) started again and can't fathom why I'm finding it so difficult. 2.5 miles is taking me about 18 mins 30 secs. But I find it very hard. On one incline my heart rate increases to 190. Seems too high.

I am 52 and have recently lost 5 kg to my current weight which is 80 kg. I need to be closer to 75. No underlying health issues. Blood pressure if anything slightly low.

So, any tips or advice?

And sorry if this comes across a little Mumsnet. I'm genuinely interested to receive any advice.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Biggest tip I can tell you is one that helped me......

It's not the time it takes it's the fact you got out running that matters

Mac

190 seems a bit high, even more than I'd imagine you maximum should be. Is that accurate?

Your pace suggests you are running a 23 minute 5k, which isn't bad if you haven't run regularly. Are you expecting too much? That's a 7:24 min mile pace...I'm a regular runner and from experience, not many people on the roads do that. For example, my running club has 13 groups on a weekly training run and only the top two groups pace faster than that on a training run. Maybe back the pace off a bit to 8:30 min mile.

Try to build slower for longer rather than go all out for a shorter distance. Also, build the distance slowly to avoid injury.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th August 2022 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    190 seems a bit high, even more than I'd imagine you maximum should be. Is that accurate?

Your pace suggests you are running a 23 minute 5k, which isn't bad if you haven't run regularly. Are you expecting too much? That's a 7:24 min mile pace...I'm a regular runner and from experience, not many people on the roads do that. For example, my running club has 13 groups on a weekly training run and only the top two groups pace faster than that on a training run. Maybe back the pace off a bit to 8:30 min mile.

Try to build slower for longer rather than go all out for a shorter distance. Also, build the distance slowly to avoid injury.
    Exactly this. ^^^

A 7:24 pace for a 52-year-old is WAY fast!

I would also check your HR monitor...190bpm should blow up the heart of a guy your age. According to the American Heart Association, the average heart rate for a 50-year-old is 170. That's MAX, not target.

Keep running! Set a pace you can maintain for at least 30 minutes for now.

Grand Master

Advice from any runners here

Personal and professional advise is that I would be very cautious running. Limit it to below 15 mile a week as its a very injury prone and demanding activities for anyone over 50 without a lifetime athlete status.

Ps your Heart monitor is probably a but pissed.
    RIAC

SydR
    I would not say 7:24 pace was way fast on a 2.5 mile run for a 52 year old.

I’m 53 and only been running since 2016, though I was bike fit before that.

My recent 5k parkrun times are 7:15 a mile, average HR usually around 155, peak 162, and half marathon, in the last 6 months of 7:30 a mile. I’m pretty average for my age group in events.

OP, you need to build up your fitness. It may be a bit basic for you, I don’t know your history, but possibly look at couch 2 5k and build from there.

Craftsman
    I think you’re running too hard, too fast, too soon. Also your HR is way off per age and theoretical max.

Train for distance. Then for speed.

Try to run 5k in 30 mins. Can you?

If not genuinely do a Drake and start from the bottom with the run walk couch to 5k program.

Get it wrong and you’ll have plenty of time to think about it injured, so spend the time actually running now but slowly!

I go thorough stages of running and have done for the last 20 years.
    Started up again a couple of months ago and I don't go with any devices; no headphones, no phone, no running watch.
    I've slowed my pace right down and couldn't care less how long it takes me to run.
    I love it, so much more enjoyable as I'm not checking my pace or time over and over again.
    So my tip would be just go for a run at a pace you're comfortable with and don't worry about how fast and how far. Just enjoy it.

My gaffer told me last week to "run slower to run faster". I need to investigate that...

p.s. Injury warnings above are worth heeding. I took about ten years off, bought some new running shoes, then treated myself to a grade 2 medial collateral ligament sprain. No fun.

Grand Master
    OP needs to run 2-3 times/ week to make progress. Build up slowly and forget about times/ pace, aim to run for 30 mins without busting a gut. Fitness will cone back but it won’t happen overnight. Buy some good shoes and try to run on softer ground.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I would not say 7:24 pace was way fast on a 2.5 mile run for a 52 year old.

I’m 53 and only been running since 2016, though I was bike fit before that.

My recent 5k parkrun times are 7:15 a mile, average HR usually around 155, peak 162, and half marathon, in the last 6 months of 7:30 a mile. I’m pretty average for my age group in events.

OP, you need to build up your fitness. It may be a bit basic for you, I don’t know your history, but possibly look at couch 2 5k and build from there.
    Why would he need to do couch to 5k if he’s already running 2.5 miles at less than 7:30 pace?

OP I’d listen to Christian. Slow your pace down and lengthen your runs. Get yourself back into fitness, no need to go flat out.

Some good advice here, but some duff. I’d not worry too much about heart rate and focus on breathing, could you hold a conversation at this pace? It’s a damn good pace too. I would slow it down and stretch the distance as it will be easier on your body. If you really feel a need go out for some sprint and/or hill intervals; attack a short hill and jog slowly down to recover x10 or sprint from one lamp post to the next and slow jog the next two to recover x10. But pace everything and build in to it. The sprints and speed are optional, often best to just savour a steady long run and appreciate the scenery and distance travelled comfortably and safely. Out of distance and endurance comes speed. But well done buddy, keep plugging away.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I go thorough stages of running and have done for the last 20 years.
    Started up again a couple of months ago and I don't go with any devices; no headphones, no phone, no running watch.
    I've slowed my pace right down and couldn't care less how long it takes me to run.
    I love it, so much more enjoyable as I'm not checking my pace or time over and over again.
    So my tip would be just go for a run at a pace you're comfortable with and don't worry about how fast and how far. Just enjoy it.
    Just this, enjoy a pace that yes gets the heart beating but not trying to beat a clock. I'm 61 and my pace is way off compared to yesteryear , just love the wind, rain, snow or shine on my face, all the outdoor smells that go with it and enriching your mind body and soul once showered :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Why would he need to do couch to 5k if he’s already running 2.5 miles at less than 7:30 pace?

OP I’d listen to Christian. Slow your pace down and lengthen your runs. Get yourself back into fitness, no need to go flat out.
    Because physically he doesn’t have a structured training plan which supports that pace. That’s not training that’s testing your body to the absolute limit and is a recipe for a long term injury as foundational strength is not in place.

Given that or going back to basics I know which I would prefer!

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post

As jeepie says ^^^

I was bike fit when I started but not run fit , so did a somewhat expedited c25k. The body needs to adapt and simply going flat out, and stressing it, as the OP seems to be doing will bring longer term issues.

Master
    Thanks all for the advice. Really helpful. Will stick at it, try and run twice a week and slow it down a bit.

Cheers

H

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Stop worrying about the distance and times and just run for fun.

If you want to lose weight then its way easier to do that on an exercise bike, running kills your knees.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Stop worrying about the distance and times and just run for fun.

If you want to lose weight then its way easier to do that on an exercise bike, running kills your knees.
    Funnily enough, I'm going for a knee X-Ray today ... not been able to run since Dec/Jan.

Which is annoying as I was regularly running 5k & the occasional 10k... which resulted in me getting fitter & losing weight.

Since Jan I've put on a few pounds - despite getting out on my bike

z

Craftsman
    Strange thing for me, I've had both knees cleaned out (one really bad, other not as bad) and can only run on tarmac now. Of all the years of running fields and fells I can't do anymore as all the uneven ground, hidden divots etc really punish my knees albeit I have to have my knees wrapped in compression supports. I'm guessing I look a proper numpty whilst out there but as long as I can move, albeit slow pace, my lungs and ticker get a work out and lots of fresh air in my face I'm in a happy place. Might not be saying that in another 3-5 years when I'm maybe walking round on a zimmer :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Because physically he doesn’t have a structured training plan which supports that pace. That’s not training that’s testing your body to the absolute limit and is a recipe for a long term injury as foundational strength is not in place.

Given that or going back to basics I know which I would prefer!
    Which is why I said slow it down and gradually increase distance. Based on his comments, he’s not a beginner, he’s ran before and is still at a decent level of fitness.

Joining a club, getting proper advice and running with a group of a similar level will provide structure and allow him to progress.

The obvious thing for me is you think you’re fitter than you are. That’s why it’s “hard”. You appear to be caning a short run once a week, and over analysing your pace and HR.
    I think most recreational/club runners would be looking at a couple of runs a week minimum, and basing it on a weekly longer slow run, usually at the weekend, then what we always referred to as a “tempo” run maybe midweek, than an interval or hill session once week as well.

I don’t really know what current trends are but that formula served me well for years as a minimum.

Why not just leave your watch off and do three slow easy runs a week for a couple of weeks. Then if you feel like it have a crack at your “course record” and see where you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Strange thing for me, I've had both knees cleaned out (one really bad, other not as bad) and can only run on tarmac now. Of all the years of running fields and fells I can't do anymore as all the uneven ground, hidden divots etc really punish my knees albeit I have to have my knees wrapped in compression supports. I'm guessing I look a proper numpty whilst out there but as long as I can move, albeit slow pace, my lungs and ticker get a work out and lots of fresh air in my face I'm in a happy place. Might not be saying that in another 3-5 years when I'm maybe walking round on a zimmer :)
    Have you tried using a wobble board. Marvellous devices to “surf” watching the TV. Something like this bad boy.

https://www.decathlon.de/p/gleichgew...SABEgKDH_D_BwE

Craftsman
    Interesting contraption, I do lots of stretches for calf’s etc (mainly on stair steps) going to do some YouTube investigation, thanks

Master
    As said above just use the C25K approach as it is designed to gradually build your fitness but just as importantly condition your muscles etc to running so you don’t have pulls and strains. Start part way through if you feel you need to. But it is the slower runs that build fitness not the ones where you are pushing yourself.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Have you tried using a wobble board. Marvellous devices to “surf” watching the TV. Something like this bad boy.

https://www.decathlon.de/p/gleichgew...SABEgKDH_D_BwE
    I got something similar on advice from my physio when I had ITB trouble last year. Been very effective.

Blog Entries
    I have run regular for just over three years, training twice a week with our local athletics club and for 57 I am happy with what I have done and continue to improve.

Over 50 you should not be smashing quick run out after quick run, you WILL break. I would suggest 80% of your runs should be at a pace you can hold a conversation without gasping or out of breath. As a gauge I keep mine in Zone2 which is under 143bpm for me at 9:15-9:30 min/mile pace. As a guide my 5k is 7:04, 10k 7:22 and HM 7:58 so you can see how easy these easy runs are. My mileage is anything between 15 on a bad week and 30+ Miles on a good’un. I also drop a few strides in at the end of 10-14 mile runs.

So, slow it down, build a good aerobic base, strength exercises and after a couple of months it should come together. Note; if any muscles start fatiguing or straining, STOP and rest, roll and stretch.

Have fun

Pitch

I’m early 50s coming back from a bout of Achilles tendinitis caused by going too hard too soon after a prolonged outage with a chest infection. I’d recommend sticking to Zone 2 workouts, which basically are at a rate where you can hold a conversation easily, my max heart rate for this is 128bpm, so if I hit a hill I have to slow right down to walking pace sometimes. I’m gradually upping my weekly distance, used to be able to do 30-40K a week, I’m now at 3 x 5K but pushing on. I’d also recommend a good pair of well padded running shoes, loving my Hoka’s which have a memory foam Achilles support plus mahoosive cushioning.

Oh and a foam roller is your friend :)

Journeyman
    I think you would benefit from understanding some of the 'why', not just the 'what'.

I'd recommend googling "Jack Daniels physiological systems". Nothing to do with bourbon but he says that training to run involves 6 different systems - basically taking in oxygen, transporting it to the blood, getting blood around the body, removing lactic acid, developing muscles for speed and developing an efficient running style.

Smashing a hard 2.5 miles every so often probably trains a couple of these effectively but doesn't help the others. You need a range of training speeds, with every run having a clear purpose. As a couple of people said, for most people, most of the time, the biggest value is in easy aerobic runs at a conversational pace.

They might not help you lose weight instantly but they'll help you kepp running long term. Smashing out fast runs will get you injured within 6 weeks.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by martinupnorth; 10th August 2022 at 09:40.