closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 3 Phase, sparky question

3 Phase, sparky question

Im looking in to having a fast EV charger installed at work as I have 3 phase which powers ramps and a compressor. Is there a minimum KW that 3 phase will provide or is it all different depending on your set up? Im thinking about a 50kw charger as there is nothing else in the village but unsure if my supply would allow this?

You'd need to check your supply to see what the capacity is. How much power does all the existing equipment use?

See this page for reference: https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/el...ce-electricity

Note: kVA is roughly equivalent to KW, as far as we're concerned.

Master
    The speed you’d get from a 3 phase Type 2 supply would depend on the vehicle, the chargers are on board the car.

For most modern EVs, generally they can charge at 11kW on such a supply, but some vehicles with only one onboard charger might get only 3.6kW whereas they’d get 7.2kW on a single phase AC charger.

Some Zoe EVs can take 43kW from a suitable supply, which is the fastest I’ve seen on any commercial charge point.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    You'd need to check your supply to see what the capacity is. How much power does all the existing equipment use?

See this page for reference: https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/el...ce-electricity

Note: kVA is roughly equivalent to KW, as far as we're concerned.
    Thanks for the reply and tbh, I'm not sure. Its very rare to have all 5 units going at once, in fact it never happens so I'm assuming id be ok.
    Ive read that a normal house with single phase and a 100amp input can supply up to 24kw. So is there not the same maths of what potentially a 3 phase supply could provide?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The speed you’d get from a 3 phase Type 2 supply would depend on the vehicle, the chargers are on board the car.

For most modern EVs, generally they can charge at 11kW on such a supply, but some vehicles with only one onboard charger might get only 3.6kW whereas they’d get 7.2kW on a single phase AC charger.

Some Zoe EVs can take 43kW from a suitable supply, which is the fastest I’ve seen on any commercial charge point.
    Ive seen some well over 150kw now, scary quick charging in under 20 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Not from Type 2, that's 43kW max.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Thanks for the reply and tbh, I'm not sure. Its very rare to have all 5 units going at once, in fact it never happens so I'm assuming id be ok.
    Ive read that a normal house with single phase and a 100amp input can supply up to 24kw. So is there not the same maths of what potentially a 3 phase supply could provide?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but those are DC chargers, via a CCS plug.

Master
    Same as for the house, you’d need to look at what your business premises is rated to receive/supply in Amps.

In Europe where 3 phase electricity in domestic premises is more common, the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) that is fixed to your wall and that you plug the car into will be arranged at 3 phases X 16A per phase. 48A at a nominal voltage of 230v AC gives you a maximum output of around 11kW, and assuming your car has a suitable onboard charger arrangement (EV chargers are on the car for AC) that’s the maximum it could take.

32A per phase and you could be getting 22kW, again assuming the car has been designed to accept it.

AC EV charging is a combination of what can be supplied, and what the car can accept. That’s all an EVSE does, it ‘negotiates’ with the car to advertise what it can supply, and the car decides how much of it can be accepted. That’s why cars with single onboard chargers will still only charge at 3.6kW even on a 3 phase supply as they can only accept one phase.

Sorry if any of that is teaching you to suck eggs!
    Last edited by Tooks; 6th August 2022 at 08:29.

No, not at all and thanks. I think I need to research my connectors better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as for the house, you’d need to look at what your business premises is rated to receive/supply in Amps.

In Europe where 3 phase electricity in domestic premises is more common, the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) that is fixed to your wall and that you plug the car into will be arranged at 3 phases X 16A per phase. 48A at a nominal voltage of 230v AC gives you a maximum output of around 11kW, and assuming your car has a suitable onboard charger arrangement (EV chargers are on the car for AC) that’s the maximum it could take.

32A per phase and you could be getting 22kW, again assuming the car has been designed to accept it.

AC EV charging is a combination of what can be supplied, and what the car can accept. That’s all an EVSE does, it ‘negotiates’ with the car to advertise what it can supply, and the car decides how much of it can be accepted. That’s why cars with single onboard chargers will still only charge at 3.6kW even on a 3 phase supply as they can only accept one phase.

Sorry if any of that is teaching you to suck eggs!
    Are they using all 3 phases for the charger supply (ie - a 3 phase charger?) Normally the 230v load will utilise a single phase-phase, with the overall load being balanced by utilising different phase-phase feeds?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Are they using all 3 phases for the charger supply (ie - a 3 phase charger?) Normally the 230v load will utilise a single phase-phase, with the overall load being balanced by utilising different phase-phase feeds?
    Hey, I’m at the limits of my knowledge here, I’m just a user and not a sparky!

As I’ve said, the AC chargers for an EV are actually on the car, the thing on the wall of the house/office etc is just a fancy socket (EVSE) that can let the car know what it can supply when the car is plugged in.

Here in the UK, my home AC EVSE has a 32A single phase cable going into it, giving me a nominal 7.2kW available, which two of my cars 3 onboard chargers (nominally 3.6kW per charger) can use to accept the full 7.2kW.

It has 3 x 3.6kW onboard chargers, so at a 3 phase EVSE could accept 11kW or thereabouts. My wife’s Tesla has beefier onboard chargers so could accept 22kW AC from the same 3 phase EVSE, assuming it could supply that many Amps.

Hey, I’m at the limits of my knowledge here, I’m just a user and not a sparky!

As I’ve said, the AC chargers for an EV are actually on the car, the thing on the wall of the house/office etc is just a fancy socket (EVSE) that can let the car know what it can supply when the car is plugged in.

Here in the UK, my home AC EVSE has a 32A single phase cable going into it, giving me a nominal 7.2kW available, which two of my cars 3 onboard chargers (nominally 3.6kW per charger) can use to accept the full 7.2kW.

It has 3 x 3.6kW onboard chargers, so at a 3 phase EVSE could accept 11kW or thereabouts. My wife’s Tesla has beefier onboard chargers so could accept 22kW AC from the same 3 phase EVSE, assuming it could supply that many Amps.
    I found this - which could be useful: https://topcharger.co.uk/can-i-get-t...power-at-home/

(note, when I was referring to phase-phase, I was talking about Insulated Neutral systems where single phases don't use L-N, they have twin Lives - it's what I am used to in a marine environment.)

It looks like unless you have a decent 3-ph supply already there (like many farms, and small workshops on the house land) - it is a big expense.

I found this - which could be useful: https://topcharger.co.uk/can-i-get-t...power-at-home/

(note, when I was referring to phase-phase, I was talking about Insulated Neutral systems where single phases don't use L-N, they have twin Lives - it's what I am used to in a marine environment.)

It looks like unless you have a decent 3-ph supply already there (like many farms, and small workshops on the house land) - it is a big expense.
    That is really my question- would the 3 phase supply at my work provide for a 50kw charger. My brain says if single phase household can provide up to 24kw, 3 phase commercial set up must provide adequate enough for a 50kw charger but it looks like it’s not that simple

Master

Oh yeah, absolutely, which is why the standard install here in the UK is a 32A EVSE that offers 7.2kW max.

On an EV forum I’m on, many people come and ask if they can get 3 phase installed to get faster home charging, but as you say, it’s very expensive.

7.2kW is enough for overnight charging or for a work day, I think FFF has 3 phase at his business premises though and was looking at perhaps providing a useful facility for others to use as well?

3 Phase, sparky question

Oh yeah, absolutely, which is why the standard install here in the UK is a 32A EVSE that offers 7.2kW max.

On an EV forum I’m on, many people come and ask if they can get 3 phase installed to get faster home charging, but as you say, it’s very expensive.

7.2kW is enough for overnight charging or for a work day, I think FFF has 3 phase at his business premises though and was looking at perhaps providing a useful facility for others to use as well?
    Nail on head yes. My workshop is in a village and there’s quite a few Evs. I’ve got 2 on order and once a week charge is enough so a 7kw charger would suffice however my plan is to put in a faster charger and open it up to anyone in the village who gets caught short or for people passing through as we are on a route to the Cotswolds and the M4

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 6th August 2022 at 09:36.

Master
    Nail on head yes. My workshop is in a village and there’s quite a few Evs. I’ve got 2 on order and once a week charge is enough so a 7kw charger would suffice however my plan is to put in a faster charger and open it up to anyone in the village who gets caught short or for people passing through as we are on a route to the Cotswolds and the M4

That’s a great idea.

Check out Instavolt, you lease them a bit of your land, and they install rapid chargers on it for use by paying customers, no cost to you. They sort out all the DNO/supply issues as well.

https://instavolt.co.uk/for-site-own...ner-landlords/

DC rapid charging is what you need for people passing through, otherwise you’ll have cars sitting on your AC charger for hours at a time.

You could still install your own AC charger/s of course, for yourself and others to use, but getting paid back by the public for there use might be another mildly complex minefield!

3 Phase, sparky question

Tooks has covered about everything there but there’s no stopping you from installing a bank of three 7kw chargers for use by the locals too.

Getting paid for the electricity may be an issue though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 7th August 2022 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Tools has covered about everything there but there’s no stopping you from installing a bank of three 7kw chargers for use by the lockjaw too.

Getting paid for the electricity may be an issue though.
    I’ve also got a great bean to cup coffee machine. The coffees £20 and come charge up for free

I have little knowledge of what is out there by way of equipment, but barring the storage space - If you require very fast charging (for own cars) - why not have a bank of batteries charging at a rate within your 100a capacity (less your domestic consumption) - and discharging via regulator and charging system to your car(s) - at as high a rate as the equipment and car can handle?

Several apps available for sharing a home charger though maybe not applicable to your situation.

Master
    I found this summary which may help:
    http://www.evbitz.uk/EV_Charging_Basics.html

That’s a great idea.

Check out Instavolt, you lease them a bit of your land, and they install rapid chargers on it for use by paying customers, no cost to you. They sort out all the DNO/supply issues as well.

https://instavolt.co.uk/for-site-own...ner-landlords/ !
    My guess is that this’ll only work for them if they’re installing multiple chargers and on a busy traffic route/near major generators. I may well be wrong but I’m two weeks away from heading up land acquisitions at Osprey and doubt we’d do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    My guess is that this’ll only work for them if they’re installing multiple chargers and on a busy traffic route/near major generators. I may well be wrong but I’m two weeks away from heading up land acquisitions at Osprey and doubt we’d do it.
    Yes, I’d guess it would be subject to survey etc, but they’ve installed some pairs in quite a few places that you wouldn’t immediately think of.

It’s definitely worth the OP having a chat with them to see what the art of the possible is, nothing to lose really, just a bit of time.

I’ve also got a great bean to cup coffee machine. The coffees £20 and come charge up for free

That could work.

I’ve corrected my autocorrect errors too!

We have a bunch of these 22kW units for top-up charging. Not super fast but it's the standard Type 2 connector that fits almost all EVs and perfectly adequate for most needs.

https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co....evcl2018_16308

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

When I looked into this I was told it was 7kW max per phase so you could get a 22kW charger which would be worth it I think as instead of 20 mph charge rate you should get about 60 - although for a work car parked outside all day it probably doesnt matter that much in reality.

We have 3 phase, but it turned out it wasn't fully enabled so I have a 22kW charger running at 7 kW...