closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sapphire crystal Scratch Removal

Sapphire crystal Scratch Removal

I bought a beater Deep Blue watch from thegoat about 3 or 4 months ago and by beater I mean really beaten, I don't think he will mind me saying that as I knew what I was getting and it was to be beaten some more. I valet car's so wanted something used that I wouldn't mind getting bumped and scraped.

Fast forward to today and I had ordered some diamond paste as a tester because the crystal was dull with plenty of mark's and scratches, I didn't really expect it to work but seriously it's amazing stuff.

I did use a small battery operated rotary tool to do it with. So here is some before and after pictures.

The before doesn't really show how bad it was but you can see the circular scratch that stood out the most.

The stuff I used is called Scratch Genie and no I don't have any affiliation with it, I just think it's amazing and wanted to share with anyone who wants to remove a scratch from their sapphire crystal.

Sent from a technical device.

I had no idea that could be done on sapphire. Mineral, yes, but that looks good as new.

What tool and head did you use?

I just used a small felt buffer but not the one that came with it., the one I used was 25mm as the one that came with it is about 8mm.
    I just thought I didn't want to get to close to the watch.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    That's seriously impressive, I've never had any success on mineral glass.
    I'll be looking that stuff up, thanks for sharing

Master
    Yes please keep us all in the loop, I was always under the impression that scratches on Sapphire were impossible to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I had no idea that could be done on sapphire.
    I had no idea sapphire could be scratched like that in the first place, tbh.

That's really impressive, how long did it take and how did you manage the heat?

Craftsman
    Amazing results. As others have said, I was also of the understanding that sapphire couldn’t be polished.

Tried it myself years ago with some diamond paste filled syringes, but they seemed to do nothing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where did you buy it? I can only find a US website. eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    That's really impressive, how long did it take and how did you manage the heat?
    It took about 20 minutes in total, doing a bit then moving round the crystal. Wiping it then looking under a loupe to see where any blemishes we're and doing some more.
    I didn't really press that hard and if I did the rotary stopped anyway with to much pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Where did you buy it? I can only find a US website. eBay?
    eBay, there we're quite a few sellers.

I should mention that any AR coating will obviously be removed, just a thought I forgot to mention.

Last edited by sickie; 6th August 2022 at 08:19.

We learn a new thing every day. Thanks OP.

Master
    Might have to give this a go. I have quite a decent scratch on my Omega PO crystal, AR coating went years ago so that's not an issue. Guessing any sort of Dremel type tool will do with the right head.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    It took about 20 minutes in total, doing a bit then moving round the crystal. Wiping it then looking under a loupe to see where any blemishes we're and doing some more.
    I didn't really press that hard and if I did the rotary stopped anyway with to much pressure.

That sounds like an excellent technique, from what I've read, the heat generated by some pastes can cause a problem on Sapphire.

That sounds like an excellent technique, from what I've read, the heat generated by some pastes can cause a problem on Sapphire.
    Yep, very-localised heat buildup can crack sapphire crystals - it's something to watch for even when removing damaged AR coatings if you're using a rotary tool. Case of don't press too hard, or for too long on one small area, and don't have rotary tools on too fast.

Grand Master
    I had a stock of diamond paste but unfortunately it got lost in the house move. Having said that I didn`t find it too successful, used with a soft pad and Dremel it would slowly take the sharp edge off a scratch in sapphire but no chance of completely removing anything other than the faintest hairline. Heat build-up is a risk, don't press on too hard and try to polish the whole of the crystal to keep the heat evenly spread.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I had a stock of diamond paste but unfortunately it got lost in the house move. Having said that I didn`t find it too successful, used with a soft pad and Dremel it would slowly take the sharp edge off a scratch in sapphire but no chance of completely removing anything other than the faintest hairline. Heat build-up is a risk, don't press on too hard and try to polish the whole of the crystal to keep the heat evenly spread.
    Do you remember what micron it was, I think it's recommended to work your way up if it was a nasty scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Yep, very-localised heat buildup can crack sapphire crystals - it's something to watch for even when removing damaged AR coatings if you're using a rotary tool. Case of don't press too hard, or for too long on one small area, and don't have rotary tools on too fast.
    I (luckily) haven't had the opportunity to do it yet, but I'm sure I'll catch one of my watches sooner or later!

I (luckily) haven't had the opportunity to do it yet, but I'm sure I'll catch one of my watches sooner or later!
    You need to be pretty unlucky, the only relatively commonplace material that's harder than sapphire is diamond - which is why it can both cause and remove scratches to it.

Best not bareknuckle fight with the Mrs

That is a fantastic job on sapphire OP.

I would have said it was impossible if I hadn't seen the pics!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Can it be done wet to deal with heat (maybe with bezel masked to prevent paste getting everywhere)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can it be done wet to deal with heat (maybe with bezel masked to prevent paste getting everywhere)?
    Well the lucky thing was the bezel, it is also sapphire but I was careful not to go over the lip of the crystal. I did go over the bezel once tho.

As for the paste, it's oil based so it's already wet. It is pre mixed and not the ones where you have to mix 2 pastes together.
    I only put a small bit at a time so no need to put loads on at once.

I have also removed a scratch from a sapphire crystal using diamond paste and a dremel.

Just remember to not leave the dremel in the same place for too long and let the crystal cool down a bit occasionally. Also polish the rest of the crystal just not to the same degree as the bit with the scratch.

You can see the mark just above and to the left of the 6 o'clock dial. It was small but it was annoying me as my eye was drawn to it all the time.

After polishing.

Mitch

Master
    Very impressed by all the results shown on here.

Never had a sapphire with a mark (other than AR coating) but I could be inspired by this thread to have a go if it ever transpired. Thanks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

I had similar results on Seiko Hardlex before. A bit of diamond paste and the scratch went completely.

Where it definitely doesn't work is toughened glass table tops and coffee tables. I tried diamond paste and a drill attachment and despite working away for ages, it made no difference!

Master
    Hats off to you great results
    I remembered I have a part tube of this so thought I’d try my Arnie
    Been doing it on and off for a couple of days manually- phew
    It’s working but very slowly
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr