closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House Purchase

Craftsman

House Purchase

I wanted to canvas opinion on how much people would consider rising sea levels when purchasing a house?

We are looking to purchase a house which is close to (but outside) of flood risk. Predicted models put the area below average sea level by 2040. These models show many homes in the UK will be affected (London, Bridgewater, Cambridge). If we purchase this house I would imagine we will be there for at least 10 years; I guess my worry is it may be much more of an issue when we come to sell. I appreciate it’s a guessing game but be great to get some opinion.

Not to get into a debate on climate change etc but would people be put off by this? Apart from this issue it is exactly what we’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just buy something else. Save yourself the agro mate.

Master
    No...if it's the right house then buy it...anything could happen tomorrow outside your control...Putin pressing the big red button for one...more things to worry about than this.

Craftsman
    It wouldn’t be a no for me, it’s like that ding that can’t be removed or unseen.

I have considered before buying a house in a flood zone. It’s about risk management and my offer took into account the risk (their asking price didn’t and I am sure they were hoping their buyer would be new enough to the area to be uninformed about the flood 2 or 3 years earlier).
    But it means that the depreciation I might have experienced on selling it on was taken into account.
    In the case of rising water levels it’s a completely different matter because your home becomes a non-house and loses virtually all its value.
    I would not consider it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

In Ireland anyway, there are certain parts of the country prone to high risks of flooding where they cannot be insured, could be a future risk to consider also

Master
    Everything in life is a bit of a risk anyway, but as I’ve got older, I’ve tried to reduce stress as much as possible - anything for an easier life. If you think the risk is minimal and can live with it and it’s the right house, then go for it. If you can see it causing you stress over the years then walk away now.

You could sell it as having sea views…
    Got to add a bit on to the price then.

Many years ago I purchased a Victorian house close to a flood risk. Historical news articles confirmed that my house had been flooded once sometime in in the 1970's as was the entire street (before I owned it). I lived there 12 years and never suffered a flood.

The only difficulty I experienced was contents insurance, many companies wouldn't quote and I got stuck with the same insurer for the whole 12 years, and the premiums were fairly large as a consequence.

It didn't put me off buying it, and I had no difficulty selling.

Craftsman
    Thanks all for your thoughts, helps me rationalise my own.

Upon selling the house it would be very inconvenient to schedule viewings based on tide times

Whilst it's currently outside of those flood zones, you need to consider when those zones were defined and how soon they're likely to be updated.

Personally, it would be a no as it's just too much of a risk given the inevitable direction of the world, unfortunately.

With climate change, is looking at historical flood risk pertinent? 2040 isn't that far away, is it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    We looked at a Suffolk home that was lovely, separated from the sea/an estuary by about half a mile of meadows. It was about 1 metre above sea level and despite the seller's assurances that projections showed it to be safe for many years we moved on. The projections about sea levels are subject to review and they only seem to be going the wrong way.

Blog Entries
    Interesting POVs, from a Dutch perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Interesting POVs, from a Dutch perspective.
    That is exactly the problem : Brits are not Dutch, and their expertise in coastal land management is at best sketchy.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uk%20house...ages&ia=images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is exactly the problem : Brits are not Dutch, and their expertise in coastal land management is at best sketchy.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uk%20house...ages&ia=images
    In many situations, the Dutch cannot avoid living in an area that can be flooded. Our country is simply too small to be picky. However, when living in the UK, with various (lots?) of options to live in a safer part, I would certainly seek higher grounds when costal land management etc is sketchy.

I remember a trip to Malvern in in 2010 (or earlier) for the Triumph TR Register. Most cars didn't make it to the venue, due to the flooded roads; lots of rain, small rivers from the hills became wild roaring rivers sw.eeping away everything on their way. Roads were closed or were completely gone. I'm sure someone here remembers the correct year.

I live at 26m above sea level. In Dutch terms, that's 'The Mansion on the Hill' so to speak. I'm sure lots of forumites consider this 26m as peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I live at 26m above sea level. In Dutch terms, that's 'The Mansion on the Hill' so to speak. I'm sure lots of forumites consider this 26m as peanuts.
    26m? Little more than the high tide line ;)

Craftsman
    I’ve just found the flood protection plan for the future of the area (dated jul 22, so very recent). There is a lot of chat about investing in understanding the problem and need to raise awareness but not much on anything actually tangible ??.

Unless it’s a houseboat you’re buying then no.

Master
    213M above sea level here

SydR
    My home is built on land that was formerly a port and sits about 8 meters above mean sea level. It has no history of flooding and doesn’t concern me.

I was looking at a holiday home a month ago and it came out at just one street away from a known flood zone. I ruled it out on that basis.

Craftsman
    Thank you all. It’s been really interesting to hear peoples views, which seem to echo my concerns.

I’m generally not adverse to risk and thought I may be worrying unduly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I wanted to canvas opinion on how much people would consider rising sea levels when purchasing a house?

We are looking to purchase a house which is close to (but outside) of flood risk. Predicted models put the area below average sea level by 2040. These models show many homes in the UK will be affected (London, Bridgewater, Cambridge). If we purchase this house I would imagine we will be there for at least 10 years; I guess my worry is it may be much more of an issue when we come to sell. I appreciate it’s a guessing game but be great to get some opinion.

Not to get into a debate on climate change etc but would people be put off by this? Apart from this issue it is exactly what we’re looking for.

I think if Cambridge is affected by rising sea levels it will be standing room only in the UK.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Cambridge is at risk, because of the Fens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I’ve just found the flood protection plan for the future of the area (dated jul 22, so very recent). There is a lot of chat about investing in understanding the problem and need to raise awareness but not much on anything actually tangible ??.

Cutting the Water Defense budget in the Netherlands (or suggesting it) is political suicide. That said, rising sea level is a big thing. E.g. in the north where the level in canals and lakes is sometimes higher than the land surrounding it (dykes). The canals are interconnected and monitored and regulated with enormous pumps. Some nearly 100 y/o. Originally steam-driven. The pumps suck the water from the inlands, and pump it into a very large lake/ inland sea (Lake IJsselmeer). When that water level gets too high it's pumped into the north sea.

But we need bigger and higher located pumps to get rid of the water. Due to the expected rise of the sea level, the current pumps at the end of the system are 'too low' to get the water out. Currently, the 32km long dyke is being renovated/and raised. A 3 yr project. Then the pumps are installed.

I'm pretty safe where I am. Would I be living in the low areas, I would certainly watch out for a safer spot when the government would consider a budget cut.

Hmm. Just checked my address and got the below. Kind of unavoidable though when you live next to the Thames.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

SydR
    Mine is good despite being right on the coast, 8 metres about mean sea level. Mainly in part down to a substantial man made breakwater.