closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seadweller and ND sub

Seadweller and ND sub

Morning lads, having some kind of a horological dilemma this morning and was hoping to get some advice.

I have a 114060 that has been with me for the past 7 years. It’s seen every kind of hell on its journey and I’ve managed to put some decent sized nicks on it.

On the other hand, I recently acquired a 116600 initially to fill a space in the safe as I saw collectibility in its extremely short run. Now that I have both in hand the 116600 is the one for me. The short lugs wear a lot better on my small wrists.

The obvious answer is to obviously sell the 114060 but the battle scars would mean getting severely low balled.

Do you guys reckon they can co exist in the same collection or are they too similar?

Would love you hear your thoughts there. Pics of both attached.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are convinced the SD is the one for you - and are happy for it to collect the same dings as your Sub............................ Then perhaps get the Sub serviced, or at least 3rd party-dressed if you think that RSC may insist on a new case?

Is the SD not a deeper caseback than the Sub? Usually the Sub will wear better, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you are convinced the SD is the one for you - and are happy for it to collect the same dings as your Sub............................ Then perhaps get the Sub serviced, or at least 3rd party-dressed if you think that RSC may insist on a new case?

Is the SD not a deeper caseback than the Sub? Usually the Sub will wear better, I thought.
    Deeper caseback but it’s a lot denser and compact. Abit top heavy though for sure.

I don't know how much it costs to get that built up with weldment, but if you balk at that cost - I would get someone to chamfer out that small area and live with it.

Master
    Check out the watch polisher on instagram, he has repaired worse than that .

oh and join the boards.ie watch sub forum ��

Master
    I don’t think it would be prohibitively expensive to get your sub laser welded and refinished. I’d do that and then consider whether to sell or if you prefer it again once it’s back to tip top condition.

Just get the ND Sub serviced and laser welded. Plenty around that can do it, and it'll come back looking new again.

Both can coexist but you're right that the 116600 wears a lot better on your wrist.

You have a beautiful 5513 so might be a chance to put the ceramic Sub towards a 16600 to compliment the 116600 or even a variant of the 14060.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I just had a gmt shoulder rebuilt by elite workshop in Hatton. I imagine that you could do exactly the same thing pretty inexpensively.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 116600 is possibly the only classic size (40mm) sports Rolex you need as long as you're comfortable with the weight. I have a 16600 and it's the only one I'd buy in preference to that. Repair and sell the ND

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just get the ND Sub serviced and laser welded. Plenty around that can do it, and it'll come back looking new again.
    This is good advice. Assuming that after seven years it’s in need of a service.

It certainly removes bargaining chips if you are going to sell. Fresh from service with stickers still in place.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Check out the watch polisher on instagram, he has repaired worse than that .

oh and join the boards.ie watch sub forum ��
    Thanks! I’m on the boards but haven’t been active on the watch section a whole bunch in fairness.

Thanks for the good advice. I just haven’t gotten around to the idea of laser welding. As the damage is only on one side of the case I wonder if they will need to polish the entire watch to get that area fixed. I’ve seen some posts about spot welding.

The satin dial, fully graduated bezel on the SD4k just harks back to the olden days.

I might have to try wearing them both in a rotation to see if I might keep them both.

Craftsman
    I went through this same dilemma a couple of years ago OP. I sold the 114060 and kept the 116600. I then tried to use the 116600 as a daily wearer and found the lug to lug great but it was too hefty. I then bought another 114060 for daily wear. They now merrily Co-exist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I can make that like new…

Here’s a before on a Hulk we did recently:

And some ‘afters’….

I’m crap with the photos but hope you can see it’s back to factory condition

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I can make that like new…

Here’s a before on a Hulk we did recently:

And some ‘afters’….

I’m crap with the photos but hope you can see it’s back to factory condition

That’s brilliant. Did you need to polish all 4 lugs to match or can you just weld and do the affected areas?

Craftsman
    As has been mentioned, there are plenty of people capable of bringing that sub back to it's former glory. Personally I would fix it up, sell it and put the money towards a 11600 which I consider to be the greatest of the last modern sports Rolexes. Or go for something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    That’s brilliant. Did you need to polish all 4 lugs to match or can you just weld and do the affected areas?

Client wanted it all back to as new condition

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thank you once again. I will get that welded and may keep it just to put on natos.

Wore the SD4k for the past 24 hours and heft is noticeable vs a 114060.

I traded my 114060 towards an SD4K have have worn my SD almost daily since (3+ years now). I can’t see any reason to keep the Sub being honest

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would ask the question of what you would do with the money is you sold the ND.
    If nothing then it's worth holding them cash in the watch than the bank

To each their own, but I see a Sub as a Bankers / lawyers, watch. Gone are the days of getting a sub because it won't leak if you have to do stuff that would kill any other watch. Now, SD is a bit different. Those people buying Sub's won't go for the SD because they don't need the extra heft, don't need the extra WR and don't need the extra cost. And that, in my eyes makes it even cooler. I would wear that 4K any day of the week, twice on weekends and wouldn't even consider a Sub next to it. But, as I've said ... To each their own

Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    To each their own, but I see a Sub as a Bankers / lawyers, watch. Gone are the days of getting a sub because it won't leak if you have to do stuff that would kill any other watch. Now, SD is a bit different. Those people buying Sub's won't go for the SD because they don't need the extra heft, don't need the extra WR and don't need the extra cost. And that, in my eyes makes it even cooler. I would wear that 4K any day of the week, twice on weekends and wouldn't even consider a Sub next to it. But, as I've said ... To each their own
    I can see the attraction. Everyone is going to think it’s a sub but in reality it’s a powerhouse of a diving watch. Though probably wouldn’t need 4000ft of WR to do the dishes

Master
    I think the sub will be a better size and feel compared to that SD.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To 99.9% of the population they are the same. Only the wearer will perceive any difference so I’d go with which feels better.

Personally I’d prefer the sub as I would favour the lighter smaller case.

Master
    If you're using WIS thinking they are completely different watches and unless you need to money they can absolutely co-exist.

This thread does more of a comparison, and under any level of WIS scrutiny you can argue they have more differences than similarities ;)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=dweller

Master
    Love the SD4K. That or the 124060 would be a tough choice for me. Against the 114060? The SD4K all day long, and that’s from someone who wears a 114060 more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    If you're using WIS thinking they are completely different watches and unless you need to money they can absolutely co-exist.

This thread does more of a comparison, and under any level of WIS scrutiny you can argue they have more differences than similarities ;)

The other folk in that coffee-shop must have wondered what the hell - you were up to !!

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

I’ve never actually read that thread. Thanks for posting that.

Seadweller and ND sub

What do you guys think of the polish job on this 116600 btw?
    Wonder if there’s any value to bringing this in to sharpen the edges while I drop the 114060 for a weld.

Edges are definitely a little softer especially under a loupe vs the unpolished sub. This was a 2015 watch and has seen a polish by the grey dealer.

Last edited by kinyik; 6th August 2022 at 18:05.

Craftsman
    Wonder if there’s any value to bringing this in to sharpen the edges while I drop the 114060 for a weld.

Edges are definitely a little softer especially under a loupe vs the unpolished sub. This was a 2015 watch and has seen a polish by the grey dealer.

A couple of the images make them look slightly soft, but the others look brand new. Is it the light or camera angle maybe?
    Last edited by Spesh; 6th August 2022 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    A couple of the images make them look slightly soft, but the others look brand new. Is it the light or camera angle maybe?
    I think it’s definitely slightly softer than new

It looks clean - I’d leave it

Master
    Celia, Verv on here has a good eye for case condition, if she doesnt drop in maybe pm a polite request for her opinion.

Steve.

Craftsman

It's definitely had a fair bit taken out of it from some of the pics. I had an NOS unpolished 16600. I'll see if I can find the pics for comparison. The tops of the lugs look like they have been brushed out too.
    Last edited by Spesh; 6th August 2022 at 18:56.

Craftsman

It's definitely had a fair bit taken out of it from some of the pics. I had an NOS unpolished 16600. I'll see if I can find the pics for comparison. The tops of the lugs look like they have been brushed out too.
    This is what the lugs looked like on my 16600 (exact watch)

This is what the lugs looked like on my 16600 (exact watch)

Mine is a 116600 though so different finish altogether. Nice chamfers!

I’m not an expert but I’d certainly start to enjoy it rather than thinking about sending it off for any work. I’ve worn mine almost daily for 3-4 years and the only reason mine went back to Rolex was for a service it needed due to a rotor grinding noise. Despite mine having come back from a Rolex service in Nov 2021 it looks nowhere near as clean as yours.

Happy to share some photos of desired but I’m no expert on that front

Am I seeing things or does that 116600 only have three non-removable links on the 12 o'clock side?

To the best of my memory I've only ever had Rolex watches with four non-removable links on both sides.

Nevermind, just went back to see some pictures of my old 116600 and indeed there are only three non-removable links. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Am I seeing things or does that 116600 only have three non-removable links on the 12 o'clock side?

To the best of my memory I've only ever had Rolex watches with four non-removable links on both sides.
    3 non removable links on both the 6 and 12 o clock sides

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What this man said

I'm not a Rolex guy by any means but I would keep both. I'd use the ND for day to day and the Seadweller for weekends and going out, kinda 80 / 20 split

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

It’s not ‘factory’ but I’d just wear it… if you take a big lump out of it then it’s worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    3 non removable links on both the 6 and 12 o clock sides

Just checked my 126660 and 3 non-removable links on each side there. Weird, the Subs and SD43 have more.