closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What to check when buying a used Daytona?

Apprentice

What to check when buying a used Daytona?

Hi All

I’m going to a well known jewellers tomorrow to view a used Rolex Daytona that I’ve enquired about.

It’s white dial 2004 model, with steel bezel and obviously used though I’m told the condition is very good.

I haven’t really bought a used Rolex before as my previous Rolexes were new from ADs.

What are the things I should look for and ask about? Any advice and pointers will be appreciated.

Also what should come with the “full set” for this particular watch?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by unstoppable; 5th August 2022 at 08:07.

buy only from a reliable source; most of us are not that lucky for a surprise steal and take many pix before you pay

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    buy only from a reliable source; most of us are not that lucky for a surprise steal and take many pix before you pay
    Thanks yes they are a well known company and offering a one year warranty with the watch. Pics is a good shout.

Master
    Lots of well-known companies are hopeless with secondhand Rolex.

Which is it?

Master
    Main thing is to make sure that it is correct for a 2004 Daytona. There is a reference page on Rolex Forums that provides a good guide for the 116520 and all the variations of dials bracelet etc, comes up on first page on Google.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=652404

I used this thread before buying my 116520.

I would make sure that the bezel isn’t too polished with loss of enamel; that the chronograph starts and stops normally. 2004 ones should come with the fatter hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There is only one safe way to buy a Daytona and that is to assume it's knackered and factor the price of a service when you are negotiating the price.

There are loads of tightwads who skint themselves when buying a Daytona and often maintain it on the cheap afterwards, so get it straight in to an accredited repairer or Rolex themselves.

Master
    Not an expert by any means, but would be looking to get it into Rolex for a service sooner rather than later unless it comes with recent (ish) service paperwork.

Also ensures the watch is as it should be hopefully!

Master
    Make sure that the jeweller has made adequate inspection of the watch and movement so that they are able to guarantee it's all as originally manufactured/supplied by Rolex.
    If you subsequently send it off to Rolex for a service and it's not as original (e.g. not with original movement), then they will promptly send it straight back and refuse to service it.
    Believe me, I speak from experience.