closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for Longines in here?

Any love for Longines in here?

With the Commonwealth games coming to a close and Longines being the official timer, I wondered if they had any standing in the grand scheme of things?

I have a Hydroconquest as my work watch and it keeps great time, about 15-20 seconds a week (Time Is comparison and setting) since I sent it back and told them to sort it out while it was still under warranty. It was about 25 seconds a day prior to being returned. I have ot say, Longines UK have made a wonderful job of making it run accurately. I would put a picture up, but every time I try I get told my picture is too bog. I have resized them to virtually nothing but still it tells me I can't load it.... so I have given up trying to load pictures.

Master
    I think they make some great looking watches, have a fantastic history and you get a lot for your money. I've a vintage Longines which I really like. It's more a high days and holidays watch but I occasionally wear it to the office.

I also like a lot of their modern Heritage series as well, especially the sector dial and the Military, (picture from when I tried one but didn't buy). The Spirit 37mm also looks great.

Master
    I’ve currently got 3, in my small collection of 9 watches… so yeah, I guess I like the brand.
    Have probably owned 6 or 7 in total.

My son also is a fan… he only owns 2 watches, a Harrods black bay but his daily wearer is a Hydroconquest.
    Last edited by gorrie; 4th August 2022 at 22:18.

I’m currently thinking picking about their Spirit 37mm. I’ve tried on the 40mm and really liked it.

I also quite liked this video on the Ultrachron.

Last edited by Harryb; 4th August 2022 at 22:34.

I really like them. They have great heritage and not many brands are getting it as right as they are currently.

Master
    Yep, another HydroConquest owner here. Nicely built and pretty good quality for the price. Mine is the 39mm quartz version and serves as one of my grab-and-go watches, a bit posher than my PRS18q.

I've owned quite a few over the years, currently only got the Flagship on the bottom right. Great brand with really good customer service.

I have one. A very nice watch I don't wear often enough. Love the huge crown.

I really like them, my parents bought me one for my 18th birthday, many many years ago but I’m particularly fond of their output over the last few years.

If I had one criticism, it would be that they wear large, given their propensity for long lugs. I wish more of their output was in the 38mm territory.

If I was putting together a shopping list, I’d love an legend diver or an avigation big eye chrono, or a spirit 37, or a master moonphase, or a silver arrow…

Want to pick up a 36mm VHP myself as a grab and go, nice entry way into semi luxury watches I would have said

Here's one I owned:

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Yep, another HydroConquest owner here. Nicely built and pretty good quality for the price. Mine is the 39mm quartz version and serves as one of my grab-and-go watches, a bit posher than my PRS18q.
    I have the auto, I don't actually know what 'size' it is, I just tried it on and they took a couple of links out for me so it fits. I have got one of those little guided screwdriver jobbies so I can put one in again if my wrists ever get any bigger, but they seem to get smaller each year! The 72-hr power reserve is a useful feature too, keeps it going if I take it off for the weekend to wear my posh watch.

This little old thing.....

Its my one & only grab & go, a great looking watch with just a hint of Sub without being a 'replica' as it maintains its own distinct character & history. My only gripe would be the bracelet clasp could do with a few more micro adjustment holes for a perfect fit. I also noticed the branding during the Commonwealth Games, which was good to see & should, I would think, benefit the brand.

I have a thing for Longines, especially the HydroConquest range.

Sent from a technical device.

Craftsman
    As has been said, Longines has been on a strong run over the past few years, offers a lot for the money and has real heritage to be proud of. I have a fifteen year old no date Legend Diver and am tempted by a Spirit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    If I had one criticism, it would be that they wear large, given their propensity for long lugs. I wish more of their output was in the 38mm territory.
    Strongly agree on this, I recently tried on their new GMT and it wore very large for the dimensions. The Spirit 37mm is the perfect size for me though.

Craftsman

Heritage Conquest

Love mine, vintage looks/sizing, modern build. I also fancy adding the Spirit to my collection, when/if they release the GMT Zulu Time in the 37mm case, I will not be able to resist...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    Love mine, vintage looks/sizing, modern build.....
    One of the nicest watches I've owned with a real retro classy feel but it always felt just a touch dainty/small, think 37-38mm would have been perfect. Lovely thing though

Master
    One of the good things about Longines is that they really look after older watches and don't charge the earth for it.

Some nice watches like the Legend diver but why are these much harder to find in stores than most of their other models.

I think the 37mm spirit is one of the nicest watches out there at the moment, hoping to try one on today.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Long time fan here. Build quality is excellent and up there with the best. Just wish I could have kept them all...

Master
    Some of their heritage re-issues or re-imaginations are crackers. The Legend Diver was ahead of the pack when released way back when. This is my 3rd LLD having managed to track down a no-date for a not-too-bad price, which is no easy feat these days!

Ant

Craftsman
    I have a legend diver which is great, we are currently in Kuala Lumpur and longines seem to have a big presence in most shopping malls and in fact they are one of the only brands to have their own dedicated shops as far as I can see.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    I think the 37mm spirit is one of the nicest watches out there at the moment, hoping to try one on today.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I saw the white dialled 40mm dropped to £1000 recently. Hoping the 37mm sees some steep discounts on the bracelet at some point.

I have had these two for several years. I do think they have an elegant air about them and an impeccable heritage, of course. I'm not sure Swatch's market positioning does them any favours. A much underrated brand IMHO.

A

Master

Since this added the following

Love the avigation bigeye.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I think they make some great looking watches, have a fantastic history and you get a lot for your money. I've a vintage Longines which I really like. It's more a high days and holidays watch but I occasionally wear it to the office.

I've got that same watch, it's a lovely thing. It was my late grand fathers long service award watch so carries the engraving on the back.

I also have my late mothers Longines.

It's a brand that, due to inheriting the above mentioned, I really feel like I need to own a modern day one and wear.

Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I have had these two for several years. I do think they have an elegant air about them and an impeccable heritage, of course. I'm not sure Swatch's market positioning does them any favours. A much underrated brand IMHO.

A
    A fellow brother of the angle, I see!

love for Longines

Oh Yes !

Craftsman
    I like their vintage watches and have a particular soft spot for the 8888. They made some really nice watches utilising the 30L movement back in the day and to me this style is what the brand really represent.

Having said that, some of their recent models like the Flagship Heritage do a pretty good job of capturing that vintage feel.

Loving the new Spirit Zulu Time GMT watch. Just add that additional bit of sports watch to the Spirit line.

I’m quite taken with some of the newly released models, but only own a couple of vintage bits. This a simple 9ct dress watch from 1968, that I bought as I love the numerals (for some reason).

Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    Oh Yes !

That is a stunning watch - and the strap really makes it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’m quite taken with some of the newly released models, but only own a couple of vintage bits. This a simple 9ct dress watch from 1968, that I bought as I love the numerals (for some reason).

Lovely.

Would this be the 30LS movement as the seconds hand is central?

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Lovely.

Would this be the 30LS movement as the seconds hand is central?
    Thank you, it’s cal 340 I believe.

Craftsman
    My Jamboree was first 'proper' watch, manual wind and an absolute beauty. Bought it from eBay with no box or papers, but still keep it as my dress watch. It's special to me as I bought it to celebrate birth of my daughter. Personally think it's a gorgeous wee thing! Will definitely be getting another Longines, long had my eye on an LLD.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    A fellow brother of the angle, I see!
    Ha! Infrequently unfortunately, and with no great success. On the occasions I do go, I do thoroughly enjoy it.

A

Longines for some reason is a brand that never really caught my eye until recently.

I wanted a two registar chrono with a light coloured dial that erred towards dressy rather than utilitarian tool watch style. A WTB here produced the complete opposite of what I wanted...black triple date moonphase. I liked it but not enough to want it (well, not straight away)

I went on the hunt for my first choice and found a recently serviced, full set on eBay.
    When it arrived it was quite taken with it - nicely put together and seemed great value for money.
    The blued hands are a nice touch and come alive when the sun hits them.
    Brown OE alligator strap seems wrong, so a grey one will be here soon...hopefully a lot more of a good pairing.

Once that arrived I looked long and hard at the black dial offering from my WTB and decided it would be the perfect partner for the white dial - had to have it.
    It came as a full set but on a bracelet which I wasn't too keen on, so a black alligator is on the way for that.
    Nice to know what the moon is doing as well...not sure how I've survived the years without that!
    I think that's a lot of watch considering the complications for the money.

A couple of pics,

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jacinabox; 8th August 2022 at 07:33.

Master
    I had a lovely Legend Diver a few years back and and actually quite regret selling it. It was a really versatile bit of kit too and seemed to work a wide variety of straps... think I might me talking myself in to picking another one up now I'm thinking about it :0

Just seen an image of the Zulu Time with Green bezel. Looks ace!
    I have always sort of dismissed the brand as a bit old/something of former glory, not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Longines for some reason is a brand that never really caught my eye until recently.
    I've looked at that one in jewellers' windows many a time, even trying one on once.

I do like a watch with plenty going on!

Maybe one day, but the Roman numerals are a bit of dampener for me...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    These are such incredible value for money, definitely a hidden gem of their pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Just seen an image of the Zulu Time with Green bezel. Looks ace!
    I have always sort of dismissed the brand as a bit old/something of former glory, not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I really wanted to like the green bezel version but they didn't do it with a matt dial. The dial was very reflective and shiny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've looked at that one in jewellers' windows many a time, even trying one on once.

M
    There was a white dial master collection version that I had a few years ago. It was suoerb. They also had a more modern looking conquest version with the same layout.

Master

M
    I was toying with buying one of these but when I tried it on it looked really small

M
    Certainly plenty going on and it's not a watch for a quick glance to get the time! None-the-less I like it a lot. My only bugbear is the winder, I've never owned a watch with one so small...it's a major pain to wind.

Yes, there is a white dial version with Arabic numbers and blued hands. I suspect that might be easier for a quick glance the time.
    Next on my list perhaps, or the Master Collection Retrograde with a white dial.

I've said it before, for a four complication watch it's tremendous value for money, especially in the used market.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Some great pieces on this thread , just wanted to add a few of mine all vintage and the Flagship was my first vintage watch !

[IMG] [/IMG]

Absolutely - love my longines heritage military 1938

Shame it’s a bit too hot and sweaty for a leather strap at the moment!

I've always had a soft spot for Longines.

This rather uncommon Heritage 300m Diver Chronograph I currently own looks pure retro. This photo is an original Longines press photo I think.

Last edited by j111dja; 13th August 2022 at 22:41.