closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: There's more to this forum than watches....

There's more to this forum than watches....

I'm on the edge of (involuntary and unexpected) redundancy/forced-resignation/semi-retirement: several months earlier than planned and while I'm far from skint, I'm not where I'd hoped to be financially when this happened and I'm certainly not wealthy enough to pack work in altogether.

But this thread isn't about that.

I had to back out of a watch-deal and explained to the seller as to why, and to be honest I wasn't really sure what reaction to expect.

Long story short, rather than any "we've swopped PM's you should send funds" kinda thing, all I received back was reassurance, good advice, and the offer of a sounding board.

I can't explain it but that unexpectedly empathetic message from someone I'll likely never actually meet, has put me more at ease than several conversations with colleagues and phone calls with 'real life' mates.

So I just wanted to say thank you.

Thank you to the member that made me feel calmer, thank you to Eddie for the forum, and thank you to all the members here who aren't complete and utter wotsits.

Let's just play nicely Gents eh?

I'm no big girls blouse, but one members understanding and kind-hearted words have simply made my whole 'load' seem a lot lighter today.

Blog Entries
    Good luck with whatever happens. As my Dad used to say when I was feeling down, "Keep your pecker up". Sound words indeed.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Nice post sir ,now look upon your upcoming freedom as an opportunity to move into something you really want to do .
    Good luck .

That's really rather nice. But wait, did you say this forum is about watches?

Master
    I spent 20 years in recruitment and your story is one i heard many times with people worrying about uncertainty and so I totally appreciate the concern but rest assured I am certain you will be ok - I left the industry as a result at start of covid having no idea what would be - 44 no savings, no pension and deeply concerned however 18m later Im thriving in the print industry - life has a funny way of working itself out Im sure youll be ok pal and if you fancy a sales role drop me a pm :)

On a wider issue of being able to talk with a stranger - Bravo to you and the other member for listening - men suffer more than most with the stigma - I really struggled after losing my father and it was through talking with people who I never met before that I was able to share experiences and relay my concerns, grief and fears and it was a massive help to me and so to you and anyone else who wants to talk feel free to pm me I am happy to listen

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would certainly be sympathetic to anyone in your situation, and would not expect anyone to follow through with a large purchase when things get tight, and I think majority of people on here would do the same. There are a few knobs on here but not many.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing.

S'funny how a simple kindness can have a massive impact.

And, for what it's worth...

...You'll get through this one day at a time.

I wish you well for the future.

Master
    Nice and rare positive story. We don't hear of such acts enough. Everything focusses on doom and gloom.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Hey Spuds, congrats on an uplifting experience. I wish you the very best of outcomes.

Hearing stories like this restores one's faith in human nature.
    I am a great believer in things happening for a reason, I am sure whatever is awaiting you in life will be for the best. I hope so anyway. Best of luck with the future.

Master
    I have a habit of walking into town for a couple of beers everyday and love making eye contact with a stranger... and. .... smiling.....I tend to get a positive reaction 10 percent of the time.
    There are still some lovely people out there today, but in my humble opinion, very few people that want to 'connect' because they just don't have the social skills of interacting with other people.
    However OP, I'm so glad that you had a stressless engagement with a worthy TZ'er.

I believe that’s called Karma Dan, you’ve proven yourself to be one of the good guys many times over and I’m sure it’s just coming back your way.

I found myself in a similar position work wise a few years ago, albeit voluntarily. If I can do it anyone can, as I’m essentially an idiot.

Best of luck.

Onwards and upwards.

Master

Hi Dan. Semi-retirement? I really and sincerely hope that does not mean that you now have time to travel up here and crash at mine and drink beers etc at the fire down in the garden and go to Glasgow for a curry and more drinks and go visit your expressions room.... drinks included obviously. lol lol lol

Great post Spuds, and wishing you a great next chapter

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear this news. For what it’s worth, I’ve seen many people go through what you are experiencing and come out on the other side stronger and better off.

In my opinion, a positive attitude and attention, those who want to succeed will.

Everything will be okay, just keep on pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I have a habit of walking into town for a couple of beers everyday and love making eye contact with a stranger... and. .... smiling.....I tend to get a positive reaction 10 percent of the time.
    There are still some lovely people out there today, but in my humble opinion, very few people that want to 'connect' because they just don't have the social skills of interacting with other people.
    However OP, I'm so glad that you had a stressless engagement with a worthy TZ'er.
    I think it must be fear of crazies that stops people interacting. Walk a dog on the other hand, and you can say good afternoon / good evening to just about anyone, and they're mostly happy to engage.

If this is your current company. Doesn't mean you have to if you can apply to other companies

One brother is retired and works part-time driving seniors to appointments. Another works part-time as a greeter at a big box store

Unless you live in a desolate area. Hopefully there are places you can work part-time

Good luck

DON

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Hearing stories like this restores one's faith in human nature.
    I am a great believer in things happening for a reason, I am sure whatever is awaiting you in life will be for the best. I hope so anyway. Best of luck with the future.
    ^ Totally agree sometimes things happen for a reason and good luck in the future & stay safe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post

I do that on my way HOME from the pub. Hardly anyone smiles back. Ignorant b'stards.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I do that on my way HOME from the pub. Hardly anyone smiles back. Ignorant b'stards.
    On a fair few occasions when in Bradford and seeing those begging for lose change,Ive taken them to McDonalds and said order what you want and eat it as slow as you want to keep warm....I get a smile of them which makes me feel good.I dont need to know their circumstances,but Ill not give them money....were all on this planet together and all want some dignity and help sometime.

Gents thank you for the positivity, this thread really wasn’t about me but more about how a simple act of decency or dare I say even kindness can make someone’s day better.

As I’ve got older and more ‘fortunate’ I’ve kind of adopted (or at least tried to adopt) a whole life policy of ‘giving a bit back’.

It’s like, once I reached a stage in life where I knew me and mine were going to be ok financially I didn’t cast my vote at the polling station for myself but more for those that needed it.

Regardless of politics though, a tiny act of decency or kindness can make a big difference….
    It certainly did to me.

This happened to me 2 years ago when Covid-19 hit, I worked through all of 2020 until Aug then made redundant. Things are not always as bad as they seem, I was mulling over retiring early but found a job before I left my old company and am still working! It can be a blessing in disguise just forcing you to make a few decisions earlier, what ever happens good luck on what ever path you follow.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

And even if they 'don't do unto me what I've done unto them' it doesn't matter, the doing it unto others was reward enough.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    To be fair Kev you do sport an unusually lascivious leer.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Gents thank you for the positivity, this thread really wasn’t about me but more about how a simple act of decency or dare I say even kindness can make someone’s day better.

As I’ve got older and more ‘fortunate’ I’ve kind of adopted (or at least tried to adopt) a whole life policy of ‘giving a bit back’.

It’s like, once I reached a stage in life where I knew me and mine were going to be ok financially I didn’t cast my vote at the polling station for myself but more for those that needed it.

Regardless of politics though, a tiny act of decency or kindness can make a big difference….
    It certainly did to me.
    There are some good people out there. I lost my job recently and at 63 I have started to do a bit of voluntary work, it helps me probably more than it helps the ones I am helping if that makes sense. Take care

Craftsman
    I believe it's a simple thing. Be kind. That's all it is.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk