closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchface repair (Steinhart marine 38)

Apprentice

Watchface repair (Steinhart marine 38)

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. I dropped my Steinhart a couple of months back. It landed face down on a tiled floor. Miraculously the crystal survived and the watch is running ok, but the watch logo and one of the letters became detached. It Looks a bit of a mess now

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lb44idH46f7aR74fA

I've been in touch with Steinhart, but post Brexit the process of sending it to them and getting it back through customs seems quite complex. They also seemed to assume I was making a warranty claim (which I'm not, it is out of warranty)

I also contacted an online repair company but they would not give an estimate based on the pictures.

Does anyone know how much a repair would typically cost? I know it's not the most valuable of watches, but it's my only real dress watch and I'm quite fond of it. So I'd like to fix if it's not going to be too expensive.

Many thanks
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

One solution is to buy a dial from Steinhart and have a watchmaker fit it for you, it may cost less than the time it takes to reattach those items which might result in an unsatisfactory finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    One solution is to buy a dial from Steinhart and have a watchmaker fit it for you, it may cost less than the time it takes to reattach those items which might result in an unsatisfactory finish.
    IIRC and being a former very happy owner of a Marine 38, they've been out of production now for a good few years so I'd expect getting a replacement dial from Steinhart would be, sadly, out of the question.
    I'd be inclined to send it to the watchmaker for them to take a proper hands on look at it.

Apprentice
    Thanks, I think I'll email Steinhart just to check on parts availability. But as you say, out of production for a few years.

Grand Master

d forth.

A replacement dial is the easiest option, its worth asking Steinhart whether they can supply one but I think this unlikely. I tried to source a crystal seal and I found Steinhart to be most unhelpful which is disappointing because they make excellent watches.

I can’t tell from the photos whether re- attachment of the logo and number is feasible, it should be straightforward if they’re applied ( not printed) but the dial has to be removed to do this. The dial could be restored by one of the dial refinishers but that’ll cost over £100 plus the repairers charge for taking it off and posting back and forth.

As the watch has had a hard impact it’s worth checking how it’s running, that’s a job for a repairer too.

Might it be possible for a watchmaker to remove the remaining letters so you can have a sterile dial? Maybe using compressed air?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Might it be possible for a watchmaker to remove the remaining letters so you can have a sterile dial? Maybe using compressed air?
    I would do this.

Or you could drop it a few more times #joking

Apprentice
    Dropping the watch first time was gut-wrenching enough :-) no plans to do it again!

I have bene in touch with Steinhart customer services again (they responded much faster this time) They said they do not sell separate parts, but if I send it to them they can fit one and a new dial costs 30 EUR. Shipping is free via their Fedex account but I need to include a copy of the original invoice and a pro-forma stating current value etc. So, let the paperwork begin!

Thanks all for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by PeaTines View Post
    Dropping the watch first time was gut-wrenching enough :-) no plans to do it again!

I have bene in touch with Steinhart customer services again (they responded much faster this time) They said they do not sell separate parts, but if I send it to them they can fit one and a new dial costs 30 EUR. Shipping is free via their Fedex account but I need to include a copy of the original invoice and a pro-forma stating current value etc. So, let the paperwork begin!

Thanks all for the suggestions
    Glad you found a solution you're happy with

Which dial are you going for?

Apprentice
    Hmm, well I assumed/hoped it would be an identical replacement or the original?

Excellent result 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by PeaTines View Post
    Hmm, well I assumed/hoped it would be an identical replacement or the original?
    Ahh that's perfect, I guess they have old stock for this very reason