closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Hi-Fi Buffs Out There?

Master

Any Hi-Fi Buffs Out There?

Just wondered if anyone can identify a tonearm from a deck for me? I've inherited a Roksan Xerxes turntable from the 80's, I believe, but the tonearm has no manufacturer on it. The whole setup was very high quality for the time but I'd like more info on the arm. It has an AudioTechnica AT32 cartridge on it.

Pics here:

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Syrinx PU3 Maybe ?

From round your way too.
    https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_reviews.php?make=Syrinx&model=PU3
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 2nd August 2022 at 17:04.

It does look like a PU3. Mostly. The headshell join with the arm tube doesn’t look like any I’ve seen before, but these were built in really small numbers and if it’s anything like it’s grandson the Audio Origami PU7 (which I have) you can customize the build quite extensively at the time of order.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yup I think its a 3 too, just posted the advert for the address.

Master
    Hi everyone! This forum never fails to amaze with its variety of contributors and their vast depth & breadth of knowledge!

Thank-you all so much for responding with the tonearm name, model and links to info.

I also received a kind PM from someone who obviously knows their stuff inside-out and has offered help in setting up.

Again, thanks all!

I had it in my mind, that the Syrinx arm (or - one model of them) - employed a single bearing to facilitate two-plane movement (a kind of turret-brg arrangement)

Arms around the same era, were: Linn Ittok, followed by the 'entry-level' arms (Basik & Akito), SME Ser3, Mission 774 ..............

Still got the LP12, with bearing upgrade and Akito arm. (can't remember what cartridge is fitted)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I had it in my mind, that the Syrinx arm (or - one model of them) - employed a single bearing to facilitate two-plane movement (a kind of turret-brg arrangement)

Arms around the same era, were: Linn Ittok, followed by the 'entry-level' arms (Basik & Akito), SME Ser3, Mission 774 ..............

Still got the LP12, with bearing upgrade and Akito arm. (can't remember what cartridge is fitted)
    Lovely! I remember a flatmate having a Sondek c/w Linn Kanns back in the 80's. Sublime sound!

Craftsman
    I had the Logik DM-101 with a Linn Basik LVX Tonearm back in the day. Lovely sound.

Had a brief loan of a prototype Townshend Rock Reference fitted with an Alphason Tonearm - a truly amazing bit of kit but I couldn't get my records to consistently play at the right speed.

Now I use a Google Chromecast Audio connected via fibre optic cable to a Burson Audio DAC/Pre-amp and Burson Audio power amp. Sounds great but I do miss my vinyl.