closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival

Craftsman

New arrival

After a thieving barstool took off with the majority of my watches in Feb it was time for an update. Luckily I got the call on to say my ticket was in and a white dial explorer ii was mine.

Found the whole experience of buying it a bit disappointing if I'm honest. Due to a credit card anniversary I wanted to pay a deposit and the remainder on Monday as that would have netted me an additional 15000 points. I offered to leave a deposit but was told no, as there were a lot of other people who were in line for this watch. In reality I felt like the wanted to close a deal due to months end. Fair enough I suppose it's their watch until I pay the full amount and they can set the terms to a degree. I was them told that the watchmaker was not there so would have to return to the store to resize the bracelet. That irked me a little as the had refused to allow me to come back the following day to settle the balance.

The thing that really out a damper on the whole purchase was the hard sell on their insurance product. I told the sales assistant that I had insurance via my home insurance. They proceeded to tell us how dangerous it was to wear a Rolex and the risk of theft. That their insurance really was the best product on the market as they would match rrp in the event of an increase. Even went so far as to tell me it was good I had brought a back pack as I wasn't wearing long sleeves and that I shouldn't wear it on show as it was a weekend. (couldn't have worn it in any case as it had not been sized!)

I was finally told the price £1300 for 3 years. And that they made no margin on the sales. I'm not sure if that is entirely true, perhaps there are some incentives for staff. Otherwise I can't understand the extremely hard sell. My wife left petrefied of muggers.

I'm very happy with the watch and have had excellent customer service in the past from this AD. But I wanted a
    pleasant experience rather than a crime update.

Anyway rant over time to enjoy my watch. Obligatory rubbish photo.

I do really like the white dial, looks superb

It's a shame about that customer service, I think it's an attitude a lot of Jewellery and Watch vendors have. I wonder if it's a sales tactic or they're just idiots on a power trip?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    After a thieving barstool took off with the majority of my watches in Feb it was time for an update. Luckily I got the call on to say my ticket was in and a white dial explorer ii was mine.

Found the whole experience of buying it a bit disappointing if I'm honest. Due to a credit card anniversary I wanted to pay a deposit and the remainder on Monday as that would have netted me an additional 15000 points. I offered to leave a deposit but was told no, as there were a lot of other people who were in line for this watch. In reality I felt like the wanted to close a deal due to months end. Fair enough I suppose it's their watch until I pay the full amount and they can set the terms to a degree. I was them told that the watchmaker was not there so would have to return to the store to resize the bracelet. That irked me a little as the had refused to allow me to come back the following day to settle the balance.

The thing that really out a damper on the whole purchase was the hard sell on their insurance product. I told the sales assistant that I had insurance via my home insurance. They proceeded to tell us how dangerous it was to wear a Rolex and the risk of theft. That their insurance really was the best product on the market as they would match rrp in the event of an increase. Even went so far as to tell me it was good I had brought a back pack as I wasn't wearing long sleeves and that I shouldn't wear it on show as it was a weekend. (couldn't have worn it in any case as it had not been sized!)

I was finally told the price £1300 for 3 years. And that they made no margin on the sales. I'm not sure if that is entirely true, perhaps there are some incentives for staff. Otherwise I can't understand the extremely hard sell. My wife left petrefied of muggers.

I'm very happy with the watch and have had excellent customer service in the past from this AD. But I wanted a
    pleasant experience rather than a crime update.

Anyway rant over time to enjoy my watch. Obligatory rubbish photo.
    Beautiful watch, try and forget the AD experience

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What a terrible customer experience, I hope it doesn't detract from a lovely watch!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Sounds like WOS?

Horrendous... scare tactics on the product they just sold you, just to try and sell you more. Feels more like a used car dealership than a luxury shopping experience.

On the bright side, love the Explorer II

Blog Entries
    And that they made no margin on the sales.
    Hahahahaha! Did they really say that with a straight face?

If they're not making a margin, commission, or other pecuniary benefit then they just wouldn't be selling it.

Master
    I would say ‘name & shame’ would be appropriate.

You’re a more patient man than me - I’d have told them to keep it and I’ll buy elsewhere!
    Enjoy your watch in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I’d have told them to keep it and I’ll buy elsewhere!

The definition of patience, surely :)

Odd experience but you've got the watch now and can forget about it.

He was probably telling the truth about the insurance re comission/cut from a personal level but the company will be making money on it and he is probably KPId against it - quite hard by the sounds of things.

Is this going to be the new way to get allocation? "I need a Rolex and I'll take the insurance"

A lot of people want the "AD experience" when buying new, myself included. What you experienced doesn't sound like they care at all about their customers.

My purchasing experience last week couldn't have been anymore different. Wonderfull service, great conversation, and free gifts to boot.

Anyway - it's a great watch. Get it on a summer rubber!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    A lot of people want the "AD experience" when buying new, myself included. What you experienced doesn't sound like they care at all about their customers.

My purchasing experience last week couldn't have been anymore different. Wonderfull service, great conversation, and free gifts to boot.

Anyway - it's a great watch. Get it on a summer rubber!

I have the same watch and have always worn it on the bracelet but now wear all my other watches on rubber.

Can you recommend one.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is this going to be the new way to get allocation? "I need a Rolex and I'll take the insurance"
    Pay the insurance premium, get a free Rolex...

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I have the same watch and have always worn it on the bracelet but now wear all my other watches on rubber.

Can you recommend one.

Thanks
    To my knowledge there isn't an Everest or RubberB available for this lug width yet. This one is just a cheap (£11.95) tang strap from strangforstraps on ebay. It's great quality and fit for the price.

Master

Just for the hell of it.

Out of curiosity, which dealer is hard selling the insurance?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    To my knowledge there isn't an Everest or RubberB available for this lug width yet. This one is just a cheap (£11.95) tang strap from strangforstraps on ebay. It's great quality and fit for the price.
    Thanks mine is the 216570 so i can get one but not sure if i can justify the price.

Not sure the 226570 would be the same.

https://www.everestbands.com/collect...32216378015806

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Thanks mine is the 216570 so i can get one but not sure if i can justify the price.

Not sure the 226570 would be the same.

https://www.everestbands.com/collect...32216378015806
    226570 is 22mm

Craftsman
    I think AD's know they're able to get away with more when it comes to Rolex sales, but £1300 for insurance!?! That's ludicrous, and with scare tactics thrown in so seal the deal.

That will be hopefully all be forgotten once you start enjoying the watch.

Good choice by the way :-)

Ask them to put it in writing that they make nothing on insurance policies. Bare faced liars.

That is a splendid piece.

Craftsman
    Damn, if I was spending this much on a watch, I'd like the full luxury experience...

...Not to leave terrified of muggers!

Beautiful watch by the way =)

Craftsman
    Yeah perhaps. The thing is it doesn't guarantee you a new watch just that you'll get whatever the current rrp is. It also includes unlimited damage repair but I'm not sure what he excess is as once I heard £1300 I tuned off. Cost me an additional £100 to put on my home insurance and insure to £10500 which is what I think it would cost to get a replacement via a private sale. My home insurances covers exactly the same as the AD offering so it would be mental to pay £1300.

Went back into the AD today to get the bracelet resized. Asked to try an 36m explorer while I was waiting and was told it wasn't possible as I didn't have an appointment and the were understaffed. 5 sales assistants in the store and I was the only customer.

I'm half minded to write a letter complaining but I don't think it would make a difference.

What utter pricks. Vote with your feet mate.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 2nd August 2022 at 22:38.

Went back into the AD today to get the bracelet resized. Asked to try an 36m explorer while I was waiting and was told it wasn't possible as I didn't have an appointment and the were understaffed. 5 sales assistants in the store and I was the only customer.

I'm half minded to write a letter complaining but I don't think it would make a difference.
    Disgraceful. I would suggest you do write the letter of complaint, to the HQ for that AD and Rolex too if you can. One complaint is unlikely to change anything, but if enough people have similar experiences and complain then perhaps something can be done. I can't imagine policy is to refuse repeat customers to try on watches in an empty store, sounds like outright awful, lazy staff only interested in the easy sales off the waitlist and flogging insurance products which I guarantee they get a kickback on.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Disgraceful. I would suggest you do write the letter of complaint, to the HQ for that AD and Rolex too if you can. One complaint is unlikely to change anything, but if enough people have similar experiences and complain then perhaps something can be done. I can't imagine policy is to refuse repeat customers to try on watches in an empty store, sounds like outright awful, lazy staff only interested in the easy sales off the waitlist and flogging insurance products which I guarantee they get a kickback on.
    It'll change everything if he ever wants one again.

Sounds like "Goldsmiths Care."

It's madness that they try to sell this to you without giving you some kind of leaflet of terms or something. They say it "includes the first service" but apparently only if the watch is running out of tolerances. This makes no sense to me as the service has to be within the policy term and if the watch is out of tolerances it would be covered by the warranty anyway.

This may well be incorrect but there were no written details provided when being asked to sign up to this for hundreds of quid so can only go off what the sales rep was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It'll change everything if he ever wants one again.
    Perhaps. I'd hope a complaint to HQ would be handled professionally / confidentially, but who knows. Question becomes; how much BS should someone put up with in order to hand over thousands of pounds for a watch?

I can understand waiting lists and sidestepping people who want the product but aren't necessarily who the AD wants to sell too. But it's actually disgraceful to decline to show someone a watch that's available for precisely that reason, in an empty store, particularly when that customer spent thousands the day before. It's equally disgraceful to try to scare customers into buying insurance, telling the customer not to wear the watch outside or they'll be mugged, while trying to sell insurance at ridiculous premiums - gross. On assumption this is the same staff member, perhaps it's a bad apple that needs to be picked...

But hey, maybe this is why nobody calls me up offering sports Rolex

Yeah perhaps. The thing is it doesn't guarantee you a new watch just that you'll get whatever the current rrp is.
    I was told that you can't ever get the same model again even if it's stolen, but if it gets stolen and you have their care package, you go to the front of the waiting list for that model if your provide a crime ref number.

Seems ridiculous to not sell you one again if you have a crime reference number regardless of whether you have their insurance or not.

Out of interest, how difficult was it to get onto a waiting list for a Pro model? I was told I could probably get an OP or DJ but a Pro model isn't happening.

Craftsman
    In May last year I bough some Mikimoto pearls as an anniversary present. I also bought a Montblanc pen at the time. All in I spent about £1400. I then asked about registering interest in the polar explorer.

Since then had no contact with them whatsoever up until last weekend.

So all in all an easy process and my past experiences dealing with them were very pleasant.
    Last edited by eoghan101; 2nd August 2022 at 11:12. Reason: Poor proofreading

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I bought a watch from them recently, so might have a think about what I’d like if I were to get a Rolex and enquire.

Apologies, posted on the wrong thread! Now edited out.
    Last edited by davidj54; 2nd August 2022 at 11:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Ask them to put it in writing that they make nothing on insurance policies. Bare faced liars.
    Stand to be corrected on this but as Treating Customers Fairly policy in the motor trade; if the customer asks what you make out of the finance package, you are obliged to declare it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Thanks, that’s very helpful. I bought a watch from them recently, so might have a think about what I’d like if I were to get a Rolex and enquire.
    The thread convinced you this AD was the best place to opt for a Rolex purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The thread convinced you this AD was the best place to opt for a Rolex purchase?
    I imagine it varies by store - my experience with mine has been excellent, but really it just comes down to the fact that they are the only Rolex AD I have any purchase history with.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    I imagine it varies by store - my experience with mine has been excellent, but really it just comes down to the fact that they are the only Rolex AD I have any purchase history with.
    Ah I misunderstood, thought you were talking about the same store.