closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The bat man or the north man

Blog Entries

The bat man or the north man

What to watch tonight?

Master
    I've seen neither and oddly I'm not excited by either one. Hoping to be proven wrong but that North Man just looks like a cash in on the excellent Vikings series.
    Batman... hmmmm I'll give it a go but I'm still thinking the Nolan trilogy is as good as it'll ever get.

Interested to hear opinions about both of them.

Watched the Northman on a flight 2 days ago. Very violent and evokes Norse mythology but an enjoyable film

It doesn't matter where you might watch The Northman, it's utter garbage.
    F.T.F.A.

‘The Batman’ I saw in the cinema and enjoyed, although it is very dark, both thematically (think a moody young Bruce Wayne into grunge music) and in terms of cinematography (which may prove an issue on the small screen, I don’t know). I can recall very little about it, which isn’t a great sign. And it’s nearly three hours long. With very little humour, it’s rather serious. But Pattinson was good, I did enjoy it and thought it well done. Still much prefer the Christopher Nolan films, however.

‘The Northman’ I saw on TV but really should have seen at the cinema. I had eagerly awaited it, but was a little disappointed. It is far from a ‘Viking’s’ cash-in. Robert Eggers has made a very violent, visceral, authentic, visually stunning & interesting film, but one that rung a little hollow, for me. It has been deeply researched and written with an Icelandic poet, and has shamanic, religious & fantasy overtones which left me a little cold because they came at the expense of character & plot. Some of the cinematography and images would have been spectacular in the cinema, however. If you like Gladiator as a revenge tale, this isn’t it - it’s too weird and less straightforward. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending upon your viewpoint. It is never less than committed, ambitious & interesting, however.

As an aside, ‘The Northman’ was largely filmed close to where I live. I imagine that is of zero relevance or interest to anyone else, though. And I never did meet Nicole Kidman or Anna Taylor-Joy in the local shop, sadly, but I did tramp around the Viking village constructed.

Master
    Batman-Good
    The Northman-Rubbish

Northman is crap. The best bits are the trailer and that's it.
    The Batman is good.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It doesn't matter where you might watch The Northman, it's utter garbage.
    I thought so too and I had high hopes.

The Batman was OK ish, despite the emphasis on the Dark Knight Detective, he was still mighty slow on the up take, I thought...but as has been said it runs nearly 3 hours. The as yet unnamed JOKER in Arkham deleted scene bodes well for the 2nd movie...a much better potential arch enemy-nemesis than the Riddler.
    Last edited by Passenger; 31st July 2022 at 14:35.

Both better than The King's Man
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Both better than The King's Man

Not hard to do - easily the worst movie I've watched this year. And I have a Netflix subscription so that's not an easy list to top

Going against the grain somewhat but I hated Batman and loved Northman!

The critics have a bit of a “thing” for The Northman’s director, Robert Eggers. Personally I have found The Witch, The lighthouse, and now The Northman to be extremely dull.