closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is your claim to fame?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm the current national record holder for a man aged 54 years & older over 100 miles on my pushbike @ 3hrs 32min 58secs ave 28.2mph.

I'm also the 3rd cousin 7 times removed of William Wordsworth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Jumped with the Red Devils a few times, something I learned to avoid.
    Now I'm dying to know why... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    His wife dropped?
    Ba-dum!

Master
    Gym based connections:

Cobra from Gladiators was a mate
    Stilks - "Britains Hardest Bouncer" :) owned the gym and was very pally
    Numerous Mr Universe, Commonwealth & British winning weightlifters, powerlifters, strongmen & bodybuilders (bit niche i admit but the gym was prolific)
    Inevitably given the crowd there - Lenny Maclean, Row Shaw & a lot of villains!

Met Liza Tarbuck at a party many years ago & the group clicked so saw her again a number of times in London

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Nothing bad, mostly just traffic. The Freds are a good bunch of lads but they’re usually practicing their demo stuff to military regs which means they fly their pattern and that isn’t always the one us civvies would fly. That can make the situation a little unpredictable and when it comes to skydiving, unpredictable is not my happy place.
    Interesting, thanks.

Taking Aveline front Bread back home to Liverpool in 1990, she had been to the Gateshead garden festival and I had to drive her back.

Returning Patrick Stewart his IPhone after he had returned a hire car them came back minutes later for a CD he forgot, he didn't realise he'd left his phone as well. Imagine the phone numbers on that.

I served many TV personalities but the nicest by far was Robson Green, he is an absolute gentleman, mind you his "posh" geordie accent was a bit weird lol.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Both Vivian Westwood and Bob Geldof have called me a c**t
    I once met comedian Peter Cooke at a party - ‘my mate says you’re a Demi-god of comedy’ - Peter - ‘tell your mate he’s a c**t’! - also at the party was police squad actor Leslie Nielsen who laughed his head off at Peters comment! - I should add I used to work at a well known film magazine hence the party invite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been in a west end show playing a guard on death row who injects and executes the condemned.. I’ve held their hand and cradled Madonna, Margot Robbie, Sienna Miller, Meg Ryan, Sacha Baron Cohen, Poppy & Cara Delevingne, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ruby Wax, Gemma Arterton, Anna Friel, Kate Winslett. I also help run a small soho members club frequented by celebs. I always have dance with Jarvis Cockers Mrs when they visit, in case anyone takes pictures of him doing his bad dad dancing. This Thursday I was with Gail Porter in soho having a few drinks. Many years ago Faye Dunaway made me a cup of tea, i was a photographer for 13 years and knew and used to work with her husband Terry O’Neill. Also worked with Terence Donovan and was at the Robert Palmer addicted to love video shoot. There’s more, but that’ll do for now

My grandad was the first British soldier into liberated Paris. It was on his daughters (my mum’s) 5th birthday. My gran was at home and it came on the news in the pub where she worked. It was her day off. Someone came to get her to listen to the wireless as she lived next door. She had no idea where he was. We have the BBC transcript of him being interviewed surrounded by Parisians and also have the newspaper cutting. He was clearly overwhelmed and is saying flowers, lipstick, kisses a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Wait until Steptoe ( Neil) steps up to the challenge!
    Well I can now say “ I told you so” :)

Another 'claim to fame' for me. I did the impossible: engineered a coup to dump the comany CEO and took his place. While this may seem unusual, but not impossible, the CEO was also the sole owner of the company. I convinced the other VPs to join me in a clandestine meeting with the CEO/Owner's private outside board (mostly friends of his). We described how the CEO/Owner was destroying his own company with his extreme draconian methods.

The board agreed, and met with the CEO/Owner telling him to step down, which he grudgingly did. They appointed me to run the company, which worked out very well for business.

The CEO/Owner was a single guy (son of the founder) living with his long-time girlfriend. He basically had nothing else to do, and maybe got in the girlfriend's way. After six months he decided he'd had enough, fired the entire board and fired me. 18 months later he had run the company into the ground, sold out to a competitor, and took a salesman job with them.

I had gone on to become CFO of a much larger company in the meantime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Another 'claim to fame' for me. I did the impossible: engineered a coup to dump the comany CEO and took his place. While this may seem unusual, but not impossible, the CEO was also the sole owner of the company. I convinced the other VPs to join me in a clandestine meeting with the CEO/Owner's private outside board (mostly friends of his). We described how the CEO/Owner was destroying his own company with his extreme draconian methods.

The board agreed, and met with the CEO/Owner telling him to step down, which he grudgingly did. They appointed me to run the company, which worked out very well for business.

The CEO/Owner was a single guy (son of the founder) living with his long-time girlfriend. He basically had nothing else to do, and maybe got in the girlfriend's way. After six months he decided he'd had enough, fired the entire board and fired me. 18 months later he had run the company into the ground, sold out to a competitor, and took a salesman job with them.

I had gone on to become CFO of a much larger company in the meantime.
    That is all rather cool. :-)

In 1964 I delivered the Clark Brothers' Fine Fare Supermarket grocery order to their ABC Regal Theatre Gt Yarmouth dressing room; they gave me 4 shillings tip (20p) — the equivalent of two hours Fine Fare wages. We had a short chat; they were a very pleasant and happy professional entertainment duo who continued working / dancing into the 1980s/90s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nggwtd2ex0k Both were members of the Grand Order of Water Rats
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I was on a Radio 4 programme talking about cookies and website privacy back in the early 2000s.

As a child I appeared in a programme about John Wayne (Saying I didn't know what he looked like, I believe) but I never saw it. My classmates did though!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 6th August 2022 at 21:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    My pals wife is Albert Pierrepoints neice.
    His uncle hung my great grandfather.

http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/execution-content.php?key=497

^^^^ Small world eh?!!!

Pedant alert, if he executed him he hanged him, not hung.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Flew first class with James Brown and his henchman, I was photographing the new first class cabin for Continental Airlines at the time. We were on our way to Manaus to photograph the brochure for a new fishng outfitter who did trips on his new houseboat for Peacock bass. A great couple of weeks.
    As a photographer and fisherman this really interests me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    His uncle hung my great grandfather.

http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/e...nt.php?key=497
    Alberts uncle?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Alberts uncle?
    Albert Pierrepoint March 1905 – 10 July 1992) was an English hangman who executed between 435 and 600 people in a 25-year career that ended in 1956. His father Henry and uncle Thomas were official hangmen before him.

It’s probably ‘unofficial’, but I believe I hold the world record for the highest note ever achieved by a pre-pubescent male ……….. when I caught my penis in my jeans zip.

I subsequently broke that short-lived record by some margin…….. when my mum released my penis from said zip.

At the time - I did not feel disposed to call Noris McWhirter, Roy Castle or Jimmy Savile !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It’s probably ‘unofficial’, but I believe I hold the world record for the highest note ever achieved by a pre-pubescent male ……….. when I caught my penis in my jeans zip.

I subsequently broke that short-lived record by some margin…….. when my mum released my penis from said zip.

At the time - I did not feel disposed to call Noris McWhirter, Roy Castle or Jimmy Savile !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos and condolences to you!

In 1984 I appeared on the Channel 4 consumer programme 'For What It's Worth' presented by Penny Junor. I'd bought a faulty s/h camera lens from a rogue London dealer. The dealer would not give me a refund so I approached the London borough's trading standards dept. Transpired they'd received many complaints about the dealer and had been approached by the 'For What It's Worth' programme team requesting details for their current investigation and potential TV exposé. I was then contacted by the 'For What It's Worth' investigator / presenter John Stoneborough. I subsequently travelled to Notting Hill for an 'all expenses paid' "interviews day" when I related the story to John Stoneborough and was surprisingly presented with the 'repaired F.O.C. by Canon' lens - good publicity for both Canon and the 'For What it's Worth' team. A few weeks later during and after the evening broadcast I received lots of phone calls from friends, family and work colleagues who'd been very surprised to see my FWIW TV interview. The repaired lens was subsequently part-exchanged via a reputable dealer for a s/h camera. The rogue dealer is still trading - even though he's 'gone bust' on a number of occasions. Each time the trader goes into liquidation he buys back the stock etc from the liquidator and commences trading again using his revised trading / company name. I'm not mentioning the dealer's name.

I was a small cog in a conservation project on Danjugan Island just to the west of Negros in The Philippines that eventually resulted in it becoming a protected wildlife and marine sanctuary. At the time the great biodiversity of the island and surrounding reefs was under threat from destructive fishing and development, and it took a lot of small cogs working together to get there.

https://prrcf.org/danjugansanctuary/

I had a chat with QEII in Kuala Lumpur in 1998.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I'm not mentioning the dealer's name.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I was a small cog in a conservation project on Danjugan Island just to the west of Negros in The Philippines that eventually resulted in it becoming a protected wildlife and marine sanctuary. At the time the great biodiversity of the island and surrounding reefs was under threat from destructive fishing and development, and it took a lot of small cogs working together to get there.

What a cool claim to fame and something to be thoroughly proud of.

OUTSTANDING!

I'm not mentioning the dealer's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Why not?
    Come on. H&V post at least!

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Come on. H&V post at least!
    Because currently have another rogue camera dealer dispute progressing — goods purchased not received — loads of -ve feedback from customers with same problem. Both dealers know each other.

Blog Entries
    Each time the trader goes into liquidation he buys back the stock etc from the liquidator and commences trading again using his revised trading / company name. I'm not mentioning the dealer's name.
    Presumably he's doing this as a series of limited companies. If so, Companies House should have stomped on this by now. Companies House don't have the a strong record of enforcing their own rules, they are pleasantly lax about it (and I mean that in a positive way actually), but after 40 years one might have thought they have dealt with this one.

Pah! "I see you're on the Pimms, then?" were Brian's only words to me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I was on the back pages of many newspapers across the world a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Presumably he's doing this as a series of limited companies. If so, Companies House should have stomped on this by now. Companies House don't have the a strong record of enforcing their own rules, they are pleasantly lax about it (and I mean that in a positive way actually), but after 40 years one might have thought they have dealt with this one.
    Likely has ways and means of circumnavigating rules / regulations ... with the assistance of 'in the know' advisor(s) ... and likely a 'small fry' trader compared to bigger organisations where e.g. Companies House and HMRC have potentially bigger pickings. I did check a few years ago and there was a history of at least 4 'phoenix' companies. I'm assuming the trading name which is still in use and has a website offering photo goods, was / is owned by those failed / resurrected companies. And I know of another 'in liquidation' photographic goods trader who is sending former customers requests/offers to buy stock and who is trading on ebay; the company has gone bust three times but on each occasion was resurrected under a new / revised trading name. And past non-secured creditors are owed many £'000s. And there are similar 'goings on' in the used watches / jewellery trade.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Been in a west end show playing a guard on death row who injects and executes the condemned.. I’ve held their hand and cradled Madonna, Margot Robbie, Sienna Miller, Meg Ryan, Sacha Baron Cohen, Poppy & Cara Delevingne, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ruby Wax, Gemma Arterton, Anna Friel, Kate Winslett. I also help run a small soho members club frequented by celebs. I always have dance with Jarvis Cockers Mrs when they visit, in case anyone takes pictures of him doing his bad dad dancing. This Thursday I was with Gail Porter in soho having a few drinks. Many years ago Faye Dunaway made me a cup of tea, i was a photographer for 13 years and knew and used to work with her husband Terry O’Neill. Also worked with Terence Donovan and was at the Robert Palmer addicted to love video shoot. There’s more, but that’ll do for now
    I own one of Terence Donovan's LF Speed Graphic cameras — with full provenance including the auction catalogue. Unfortunately it's not one of TD's, "... made out of an old chest of drawers ...." LF cameras.
    Last edited by sundial; 8th August 2022 at 12:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Albert Pierrepoint March 1905 – 10 July 1992) was an English hangman who executed between 435 and 600 people in a 25-year career that ended in 1956. His father Henry and uncle Thomas were official hangmen before him.
    Albert had a fish and chip shop. She said that strange people would crawl out of the woodwork and ask her if she had any of his possessions. Gloves were the most asked for thing. It gave her the creeps so she stopped telling anybody that he was a relative.
    Last edited by johny; 8th August 2022 at 12:53.

Master
    Bit of a tenuous one this, but in 1984, for reasons I won't bore you with, I spent a few months living in a guest house in Northampton. Most of the time there were no other guests but for a week, the British actor Patrick Holt came to stay. He was appearing in a play at the Derngate.

I hadn't heard of him then and I suspect I may not have heard of him even now if I hadn't got to know him but he was something of a British cinema leading man in the '50s and had had small parts in well-known films ever since. We had breakfast at the same time most mornings and I enjoyed his anecdotes, especially about being in Thunderball.

Lovely old guy, got me and the landlady free tickets to see him in the play at the Derngate.

I was in goal when Supergran scored her winning goal after being hit by the Magic Ray in the 1st Episode of this iconic 80's TV show.

That's me at 7 mins 15 sec looking bewildered as the goal burst net.

Top Secret Fact - She didn't actually score the goal. It was a burly crew member wearing big rigger boots who booted it in after I saved the 1st one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvGp9pxrA5U

I have a pretty realistic claim that most people you know in your life (maybe under the age of 75 and over 8) will know my work.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Bit of a tenuous one this, but in 1984, for reasons I won't bore you with, I spent a few months living in a guest house in Northampton. Most of the time there were no other guests but for a week, the British actor Patrick Holt came to stay. He was appearing in a play at the Derngate.

I hadn't heard of him then and I suspect I may not have heard of him even now if I hadn't got to know him but he was something of a British cinema leading man in the '50s and had had small parts in well-known films ever since. We had breakfast at the same time most mornings and I enjoyed his anecdotes, especially about being in Thunderball.

Lovely old guy, got me and the landlady free tickets to see him in the play at the Derngate.
    Hi Michael

"He formed a close friendship with a boy in the same boarding house, the future film star Michael Wilding"

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I have a pretty realistic claim that most people you know in your life (maybe under the age of 75 and over 8) will know my work.

You are Peter Sutcliffe.................

You are Peter Sutcliffe.................
    Being undead would be some claim to fame.

Being undead would be some claim to fame.

Sorry - I'm interrupting the build up to your fanfare.

Master
    I once appeared on Google Streetview. The camera car just had to be passing on the day I was taking my dirty laundry to the launderette. So there I was in my suit carrying a large bundle of dirty sheets. Fortunately Google have since revisited the area and I am no longer there.

Master
    You are either JK Rowling, Kevin Webster or Erno Rubik?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    You are either JK Rowling, Kevin Webster or Erno Rubik?
    It's my work, not me which is known. I designed Iron Man and the Black Panther, among other things, for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I am yet to meet anyone anywhere who hasn't heard of Iron Man because of the movies, or Black Panther because it won an Oscar for costume design.

Master
    It's my work, not me which is known. I designed Iron Man and the Black Panther, among other things, for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I am yet to meet anyone anywhere who hasn't heard of Iron Man because of the movies, or Black Panther because it won an Oscar for costume design.
    Wow great things to design :-)

You're being too modest and are still owed a free Audi R8.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I once appeared on Google Streetview. The camera car just had to be passing on the day I was taking my dirty laundry to the launderette. So there I was in my suit carrying a large bundle of dirty sheets. Fortunately Google have since revisited the area and I am no longer there.
    You are probably still there on the historic Street View function. Here’s yours truly with our eldest daughter waving at the Google car whilst heading for the Science Museum in 2016.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49...7i13312!8i6656
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I’m on the same forum as a bloke who is really good at drawing comics.
    See. Told ya. 😉

What is your claim to fame?

I went to the same school as a number of The Macc Lads. They were older, but mates with my best friend’s brother.
    They would often be pissed up at his house, and Fat Bastard - a local landlord famed from one of their songs - was there one night, and broke the bed I was supposed to be sleeping in, the fat bastard.

I drank a beer with a quite pissed Timothy Spall.
    I had dinner with “Nasty Nick” from Eastenders.
    I escorted Tony Blair around Basra Palace, had a chinwag with him.
    I was part of a security detail for Kate Adie in the same area/same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 9th August 2022 at 13:26.