closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1991 Omega Speedmaster - Service Options

Craftsman

1991 Omega Speedmaster - Service Options

Hi all,

My 1991 Speedy needs a service - winding has become stiff and it’s drifting out of time. Service history before I bought it us unknown, so I think it’s fair to say “it’s time”.

I’m considering using Omega themselves as the boutique is local and I can just drop it off in person.

I’ve heard horror stories about other brands - eg Rolex - stripping off dials, hands, bezels due to age and returning a watch that looks as-new but has lost all vintage “character”.

Is Omega the same? Will I lose my slightly blued bezel and beautiful Tritium dial & hands?

Thanks!

Craftsman
    I know its not as convenient as dropping off at an AD but I had my 1992 serviced at STS and they did a fantastic job, with the hands, dial and case left alone and still running at +3 secs per day two years later.

Master
    Another vote for STS. They did a great job on an old Cosmic 2000 that I have. Sympathetic polishing to the case and bracelet, restoring the bevels and a new crown. Dial and hands not touched at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got mine serviced a few years ago by Duncan at Genesis. Incredible job, 46 yr old watch still running to within a Second/day

Craftsman
    Thanks all - will consider STS. Price-wise, the quote from them is at Omega levels.

I think I’ll pop into the Boutique and ask.

Master
    I have my Omega Constellation currently in for a service with an Omega AD and it's agreed not to touch the case, dial or hands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have my Omega Constellation currently in for a service with an Omega AD and it's agreed not to touch the case, dial or hands.
    I always use Omega ServiceCentre for my servicing and they are excellent. No issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    I know its not as convenient as dropping off at an AD but I had my 1992 serviced at STS and they did a fantastic job, with the hands, dial and case left alone and still running at +3 secs per day two years later.

STS did my 1997 one too a few years ago when the mainspring broke.

Came back looking like a mint, but near-vintage watch, complete with the nicely aged lume.

I don't know if Omega would take the Rolex-we-know-best approach, but STS would be my choice again.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I got mine serviced a few years ago by Duncan at Genesis. Incredible job, 46 yr old watch still running to within a Second/day

Did the same with my 1994 - mainspring went so complete service needed plus he re-lumed one of the hands as it had began to fall out, he matched the aged lume perfectly... still running bang on time within seconds to this day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I always use Omega ServiceCentre for my servicing and they are excellent. No issues whatsoever.
    You may have an issue if you send them an older watch with a tritium or radium lume dial and hands. OSC routinely change out hands if they feel the need and can insist on a (chargeable) dial replacement if they feel it needs it for example if the lume is degrading. In short you can and probably will get back a watch with mismatched hands and dial or worse still and extra charge for a new dial if you go with the mothership on an older piece. Not recommended.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the tips folks. I’ll drop by the Omega boutique and have a chat. If I don’t get the warm & fuzzies, I’ll go STS.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd not take the risk with a Tritium dial - just send it to STS or Genesis.

Refurbished exactly as I asked

Another vote for Duncan at Genesis. Great communication and refurbished my PO exactly as I asked.

Our very own Walkerwek1958 serviced my tritium speedmaster. He’s a good old boy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Our very own Walkerwek1958 serviced my tritium speedmaster. He’s a good old boy.
    I don’t think Paul is too keen on servicing Omegas now as parts aren’t available to him. What about Simon Freese?

Would recommend the Watch Guy. Recently sent a vintage Speedie for them to service, very happy with the overall quality and speed of turnaround.