closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Metal Solar G-Shock 'Casioak'

Metal Solar G-Shock 'Casioak'

Just started watching the video on JOMW and stopped and had to rewind to check I hadn't misheard him.

The watch is basically the £120 Casioak with a stainless steel case and costs, nearly £600!

I guess some G-Shock fans (I'm definitely not one, I returned my Bluetooh Casioak for a refund) will buy nearly any G-Shock, but why would you buy this one for 4 times the price of the plastic one?

Seems crazy pricing, but I guess Casio know their market...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Seems expensive when so many mods in metal are available.
    I've the Bluetooth one you had and love it, works great with the app.
    I've 20mm & 22mm Jays & Kay's adaptors so any strap fits.

Just wait until you hear about the folk who pay 20x as much for a steel Speedmaster rather than sticking with the plastic one for 200 quid!

Joking aside, ambitious pricing but will also likely be available at a tasty discount soon enough and there's a lot of love out there for the 'casioak' models.

Master
    I had the same thought. And actually I don't think they look particularly attractive either; the ones with the metal bezel and resin straps look classier to me.

I like a g shock, but have decided to stick mostly with screwback versions which for the uninitiated have a solid steel case, with a traditional screwback case - as you’d find on a more traditional watch - as opposed to a plastic case with a metal back held on by an actual screw in each corner. Lots of the so called metal g shocks are actually a metal bezel on a plastic case. I’m guessing this new version of the 2100 is a fully steel cased screwback. If so it does seem too expensive - I’ve also noticed the steel bezel and bracelet versions scratch if you so much as look at them, and wear very heavy. As such I prefer the screwback case with resin band and bezel versions - more like the original g shock construction but don’t mark like steel - my favourites are the gw-5000 and the gf8235 frogman - steel cased watches you can wear like a g shock, as opposed to the full metals you have to treat carefully unless you want it dinged to hell! (And to those who say they look good scarred up, I beg to differ!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I had the same thought. And actually I don't think they look particularly attractive either; the ones with the metal bezel and resin straps look classier to me.
    I had been waiting for one of those with Bluetooth to come out.

If a regular Casioak is £99, a solar/bluetooth Casioak is £129, and a metal Casioak is £179, I don't see how you can get to £600 for metal and solar/bluetooth.

Only difference is the bracelet which I doubt is £400 in value.

Well, maybe not as attractive to some, but I bought this in the Christmas sale - all metal, bracelet, screwback, multiband 6 and solar (none of that Bluetooth nonsense as it synchs every night here in the uk) - for £225 - so the metal 2100 does seem a mite pricey!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I like a g shock, but have decided to stick mostly with screwback versions which for the uninitiated have a solid steel case, with a traditional screwback case
    This watch has the upgraded screwback case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I had been waiting for one of those with Bluetooth to come out.

If a regular Casioak is £99, a solar/bluetooth Casioak is £129, and a metal Casioak is £179, I don't see how you can get to £600 for metal and solar/bluetooth.

Only difference is the bracelet which I doubt is £400 in value.
    That's not the only difference, but I agree the pricing is ambitious.

Hmm - the awm-500 appears to have been a big flop for Casio - at least in Europe - probably why I managed to get mine for £225 at Xmas - however this new full metal 2100 appears to be inferior in a fair few ways. Firstly the tiny reverse lcd’s are inferior to the clearer display on the 500, and a lack of multiband 6 - replaced by the Bluetooth which has to be slaved to your phone - means it’s a hard pass from me. The crystal also looks barely recessed which is a bugbear of mine on the more modern models. It literally looks like one of the original 2100’s in an aliexpress case and bracelet (although I appreciate the addition of solar and a screwback makes it superior). Although I own about 25 g shocks at present I’ve never been interested in the 2100 - it’s almost like a g shock for people who don’t really like g shocks if that makes sense? Be interesting to see how well this version sells

I like the look, but have never been able to see the point of metal-cased G-Shocks - scratch a plastic case: so what? Scratch metal:

Journeyman
    I really like the look of the copper/rose gold one – but the non-articulating end links, and no on-the-fly micro-adjust on the clasp, especially for such a heavy/large watch, make it a no go for me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Well, maybe not as attractive to some, but I bought this in the Christmas sale - all metal, bracelet, screwback, multiband 6 and solar (none of that Bluetooth nonsense as it synchs every night here in the uk) - for £225 - so the metal 2100 does seem a mite pricey!!

I have the same watch it is stunning to see in person the new casio oak metal is definitely overpriced ...but i must add when the awm 500 was released it was £500....so my guess is the price will quickly drop

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I like the look, but have never been able to see the point of metal-cased G-Shocks - scratch a plastic case: so what? Scratch metal:
    This is why you need to wait for the DLC version to come out.....

I have the metal square - fantastic watches and worth the premium for metal. I'm not sure about this though, looks awkward.

The metal-case / resin-band one on the Friday thread looks great!

(Are these full metal ones complete with metal caseback? Might account for the price?)