closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches you thought would be more popular on the forum

Watches you thought would be more popular on the forum

There are some watches you see released and expect to see a bunch of on the forum and then don't see even one. For me it's the Omega CK859.

Absolutely beautiful but I haven't seen a single one here - even searching titles it only brings up a WTB from 11 years ago for the original.

Anything else you thought you'd see a few of and didn't which surprised you?

The forum is not yet ready to pay big bucks for small seconds. Give it another year.

The dressier watches never seem to gain as much attention on here. This won’t appeal to those that want all their watches lumed up to the max just in case they need to see the time in a black hole. That one really appeals to me though…very nice. My view is that if I’m spending thousands on a watch, I won’t be using it for anything extreme so dressy is fine. My apple watch can be my tool watch.
    Last edited by Christian; 28th July 2022 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Every day's a school day, lovely watch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

As brands go there are few JLCs and Zeniths on the forum, certainly compared to a certain other Swiss brand in approximately the same price category.

Having said that neither produce the equivalent range of "sports" watches, so maybe their relative lack of ubiquity stems from that.

It does confuse me why there seems so much hate for Hublot. Sure some of them are brash but there's no denying they are well made watches with striking designs

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It does confuse me why there seems so much hate for Hublot. Sure some of them are brash but there's no denying they are well made watches with striking designs
    Limited editions de rigueur. The most dubious legacy from Biver IMHO, undeniable success in putting this brand on the watch scene, but caters almost exclusively for professional footballers and possibly rappers. Once you've seen what "fusion" means in their marketing lingo, there isn't much horological interest beyond expensive bling and very expensive bling with tourbillons.

Like everything, there may be a few decent models but the rest of the collections ruins the name.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

On a completely different level, there is a brand I do not remember seeing here: Vicenterra.
    Not only is Vincent a really nice guy, but his watches can be quite spectacular, in a very good way, with their real 3D.

And while beyond my purse, they are not expensive compared to even more mundane offers. The above is 13.5K Swiss francs.

Master
    I have to admit that Omega CK 859 got my juices flowing. Understated and just right.

There are some easily-obtainable, affordable, and functional watch brands that fly completely under the radar on here. Hardly get a mantion.

Rolex springs to mind.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have to admit that Omega CK 859 got my juices flowing. Understated and just right.
    You were looking for an under the radar watch, Mick..

There are some watches you see released and expect to see a bunch of on the forum and then don't see even one. For me it's the Omega CK859.

Absolutely beautiful but I haven't seen a single one here - even searching titles it only brings up a WTB from 11 years ago for the original.

Well, I’ve never seen one of those before, but - THAT IS PURE CLASS!

Master

I posted about it in April but not a single reply. Might have been my title: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...9-and-Omega-23

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You were looking for an under the radar watch, Mick..
    I think you will agree that a Constellation is under the radar.

Master
    Anything from Breguet seems surprisingly unpopular. I realise they make a lot of dress watches which aren't generally that popular here but they do have a number of more sports orientated models. Hardly a mention on the forum when compared to Blancpain, Zenith or particularly the more usual Swiss brands.

A number of sports oriented models? The Marines are all right but not spectacular, the types XX et al. are very well made and quite pretty but they are just a rehash of a military chrono and while I find the originals desirable these ones do nothing for me.
    However, the Traditions…

Craftsman
    I much prefer dress watches, but they seem to be far outweighed by sport/tool watches in popularity, which puzzles me - I have especially gone off anything with a bevel. I like a nice big dial, with nothing too distracting around it. This Omega is nice, but probably has one too many chapter rings for my taste.

That looks quite a bulky watch for a simple small second watch.

Maybe the model is very small...?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

At the opposite end of the understated-taste scale in Omega's range are their bullheads - I find them fascinating, I just wonder who buys them -

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I posted about it in April but not a single reply. Might have been my title: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...9-and-Omega-23
    Ah, space in the title must have made me miss it.

Good thread. Might see if I can try one one.

Do like sector dials but it's not my usual style and 39mm, could be a bit small. Cheaper than a JLC and a discontinued Patek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I much prefer dress watches, but they seem to be far outweighed by sport/tool watches in popularity, which puzzles me - I have especially gone off anything with a bevel. I like a nice big dial, with nothing too distracting around it. This Omega is nice, but probably has one too many chapter rings for my taste.
    Far fewer people need to wear a suit to work or formal wear for social occasions, so there's less need to add multiple dress watches to a collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Agreed, I went straight to chrono 24 to see availability and price

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Far fewer people need to wear a suit to work or formal wear for social occasions, so there's less need to add multiple dress watches to a collection.
    Far fewer people need to wear a watch at all and there is no need to have more that one. But that doesn't stop us. My little collection is half military inspired, half dress.

Master

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ I think the dynamic and the CWC have their forum fans.

Master
    ^ I think the dynamic and the CWC have their forum fans.
    They certainly do and I wouldn't claim otherwise. The other two maybe less so, but I've been carrying out a very unscientific wrist survey on the Tube and it seesm to me that dress watches are growing in popularity among the younger demographic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats interesting, I wonder if there will be a renaissance.
    Younger crowd definitely re-kicked off 2 tone a couple of years before covid.

Far fewer people need to wear a watch at all and there is no need to have more that one. But that doesn't stop us. My little collection is half military inspired, half dress.
    This is true, but the discussion is concerning collections (not the average public). I was highlighting there are fewer situations where a watch enthusiast would normally wear a dress watch, that's why most collections are not biased toward them.

Very nice pieces though, I do love a no-date CWC Diver

Thats interesting, I wonder if there will be a renaissance.
    Younger crowd definitely re-kicked off 2 tone a couple of years before covid.
    When I returned to Uni to study for my MBA, I noticed that many younger people wore FW91 and similar variants like A168WG-9EF. So there's some active interest in retro watches which could bleed into other types.

Dunhill is a brand you don’t see often on here
    They made some interesting watches and they can be had for not much money.

Don't see many Evant divers but I've got 4 Inc the bronze one. Very well made and the markers are really good with excellent lume

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is true, but the discussion is concerning collections (not the average public). I was highlighting there are fewer situations where a watch enthusiast would normally wear a dress watch, that's why most collections are not biased toward them.
    I find this really hard to believe. I can’t be a watch enthusiast then, because I wear my dress watches at any time, such as working from home, sitting in my joggers and t-shirt.

Surely the attitude that dress watches are only for formal occasions died out along with having to wear a suit and tie for the office (which I stopped doing at least 10 years ago)? Buy what you like, and wear it whenever, and don’t be constrained by artificial, social rules, that no-one cares about anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I find this really hard to believe. I can’t be a watch enthusiast then, because I wear my dress watches at any time, such as working from home, sitting in my joggers and t-shirt.

Surely the attitude that dress watches are only for formal occasions died out along with having to wear a suit and tie for the office (which I stopped doing at least 10 years ago)? Buy what you like, and wear it whenever, and don’t be constrained by artificial, social rules, that no-one cares about anymore.
    I think you're jumping to a conclusion for an argument that i'm not making. I'm suggesting a broad reason why most current collections form the way they do, with a bias toward sport watches. I certainly didn't make any suggestion concerning what classifies or constitutes a "watch enthusiast".

If you want to strap on a GWG 1000 to an interview, then it better be appropriate and well judged.
    Last edited by Kitsan; 29th July 2022 at 22:24.

Cool

That’s really quite lovely. Has a Patek like look/feel at a fraction of the cost…..good example of a really unsung piece.

Master
    Longines have some current sector dial models that offer much of what that Omega sector dial offers but for significantly less coin. Two choices of dial colour and either a leather strap or a rather nice bracelet. I suspect they won’t be best sellers, which is a shame.

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...-l2-828-4-53-6

Mind you, I see Longines have just rolled out an an across the board price increase.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 29th July 2022 at 22:39.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The forum is not yet ready to pay big bucks for small seconds. Give it another year.
    I can't speak for the forum (can anyone wihtout a full survey ) but some of my favourite watches that I will never own have small seconds (Journe CB and ALS Saxonia).

Will look out for this lack of love for the small seconds, I think it looks great on a dial.
    Last edited by 765 RS; 29th July 2022 at 22:58.

I bet more people wear a suit regularly than dive regularly...

Craftsman
    I very nearly ordered one of those, but something about the thickness of the numeral printing put me off. It just lacked a little finesse (weird reason I know!).

I saw on another forum that the piece has now been discontinued by Omega?

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I very nearly ordered one of those, but something about the thickness of the numeral printing put me off. It just lacked a little finesse (weird reason I know!).

I saw on another forum that the piece has now been discontinued by Omega?
    Seems to be. Out of stock on Omega UK but showing as in stock online at a few ADs.

Tempted to go try one on but I can’t see when I’d wear it. Beautiful, just not my style.

Master
    GP Laureato - the onyx dial infinity edition was a real winner, much nicer that the normal ones, the design really came together on those, and you could actually walk into a shop and buy them at the time. A genuine alternative to the unobtainable Genta sports watches. Never saw any interest here though.
    Also Zenith Chronomaster Sport (or Original, or Revival, or even Lupin), when the Daytona is so hard to land.
    Same with Zenith Defy Skyline, no takers? Not that I’ve ever seen one in real life.
    B&R are rarely heard about any more either, perhaps they are too ‘designer’ and don’t have the heritage, but they actually have some good looking watches at the moment, of the less square variety.
    Don’t see too many JLCs either.

I can see the reason in many of these cases, I guess no one wants a consolation prize.

I’m going to say the Oris big crown pointer date - I’ve owned a couple and the design is very pleasing - pretty much the only ‘dressy’ strap watch I’ve worn for an extended period without reaching for a dive watch within a couple of days. The new bronze variants look very tempting!
    Oris generally don’t get a lot of love on here, I see the Aquis diver every now and again - which I’ve never liked, but I must be in a minority as they seem to release a new limited edition dialled version every other week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The small seconds Omega is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

New to me and very nice watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    At the opposite end of the understated-taste scale in Omega's range are their bullheads - I find them fascinating, I just wonder who buys them -

My mate bought one, decided it wasn’t for him, couldn’t give it away☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mate bought one, decided it wasn’t for him, couldn’t give it away☹️
    Wish I could say I was surprised, even though I rather like it.

Navitimers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Dunhill is a brand you don’t see often on here
    They made some interesting watches and they can be had for not much money.
    Agreed. British heritage brand, Swiss made, interesting designs based on an extensive back catalog. Most to be had for sub £500. https://www.dunhill.com/in/men/watch...ercare_section

Agreed. British heritage brand, Swiss made, interesting designs based on an extensive back catalog. Most to be had for sub £500. https://www.dunhill.com/in/men/watch...ercare_section
    I think the only Dunhill that I've seen on this forum a few times is the one with the old Aerospace movement in it. As someone who doesn't know much about the brand, I just associate it with cigarette lighters, which diminishes the appeal somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m going to say the Oris big crown pointer date
    Personal opinion why it lacks appeal for me is the coin edge bezel and hands give it an old fashioned look rather than vintage or classic. Might be the same for others.

Master
    Dunhill watches can be of very eccentric design,i have this "Dunhillion" which has i believe has an ETA automatic movement .its very different from my other watches and is superbly made.the faceted design was inspired by very early Rolls Royce headlights.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 1st August 2022 at 08:43.