closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches you thought would be more popular on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Personal opinion why it lacks appeal for me is the coin edge bezel and hands give it an old fashioned look rather than vintage or classic. Might be the same for others.
    Yup. Though the new ink-blue one with the calibre 400 is much better, if a little expensive.

I think Longines sports models are underrated and rarely discussed on here other than the LLD.

In truth, it sometimes feels theres a disproportional favouring of seadwellers, planet oceans, Sinn, Damasko pilot watches and modern smith’s. A sprinkling of CWC and Seiko too.

I’d say the forum skews towards older gentlemen with failing eyesight (!) so large watches with ultra legible dials seems to be de rigueur. The thread on watches you can read without your glasses on was particularly silly but I got slammed for taking the mic. I would imagine thats why the navitimer doesn’t get a look in [mention]pacifichrono [/mention]

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There are some watches you see released and expect to see a bunch of on the forum and then don't see even one. For me it's the Omega CK859.

Absolutely beautiful but I haven't seen a single one here - even searching titles it only brings up a WTB from 11 years ago for the original.

Anything else you thought you'd see a few of and didn't which surprised you?

Already discontinued I understand, hence why it's not seen out in the wild much (or at all it would seem) due to it's short numbered run this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Already discontinued I understand, hence why it's not seen out in the wild much (or at all it would seem) due to it's short numbered run this year.
    I don't know if Omega mark watches as discontinued on their website but I did read the same and it's out of stock on Omega now. Still in stock at a lot of ADs but will no doubt dwindle over time.

They need to get that same design team on some of their other models.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    Dunhill watches can be of very eccentric design,i have this "Dunhillion" which has i believe has an ETA automatic movement .its very different from my other watches and is superbly made.the faceted design was inspired by very early Rolls Royce headlights.
    That's lovey ! Wouldn't mind trying one some day.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I'd say Certina doesn't get a huge amount of love on here. I really like some of their vintage reissues but there isn't much interest...

Master
    Hamilton

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Anything from Breguet seems surprisingly unpopular. I realise they make a lot of dress watches which aren't generally that popular here but they do have a number of more sports orientated models. Hardly a mention on the forum when compared to Blancpain, Zenith or particularly the more usual Swiss brands.
    I love the Marine models. They seem to blend history, horology and everything you’d want into an every day one watch! Alas beyond my purse.

Very few good online pictures, even!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I love the Marine models. They seem to blend history, horology and everything you’d want into an every day one watch! Alas beyond my purse.

Love mine...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/167968924@N04/45U304530v

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Love mine...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/167968924@N04/45U304530v

That’s lovely! Got the fabulous large date too on yours. I do love them so much, but they’re very rarely seen (if I recall accurately).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I never understand why Breguet isn't regarded on par with Patek, AP etc. The watches certainly aren't inferior or priced at a lower point either. Possibly it is because they are Swatch owned and the company was essentially restarted using the old name. Superb watches and they do guilloche better than anybody

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yeah I never understand why Breguet isn't regarded on par with Patek, AP etc. The watches certainly aren't inferior or priced at a lower point either. Possibly it is because they are Swatch owned and the company was essentially restarted using the old name. Superb watches and they do guilloche better than anybody
    It probably depends on the circles you frequent. Among those I know who can afford either brand, Breguet is usually held in higher estime than AP, for example. Piaget gets a mention, too. I don't know anyone who owns a Roger Smith, but I know a couple with a Simplicity.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think its because they're shiny and fussy with romans or arabic numerals. Not really TZ fodder.

Lip nautic ski and Vulcain cricket I would've expected a few more of. And the likes of vintage Aquastar Benthos etc.

I think it comes down to brand recognition. More specifically, wanting to be seen wearing something recognisable in order to make a statement. Breguet is more of a nerd brand nowadays & I agree is caught in the swatch group structure after their rebirth. There's no denying that they are not really the same Breguet aside from the tradition line which I love but can't yet afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I think it comes down to brand recognition. More specifically, wanting to be seen wearing something recognisable in order to make a statement. Breguet is more of a nerd brand nowadays & I agree is caught in the swatch group structure after their rebirth. There's no denying that they are not really the same Breguet aside from the tradition line which I love but can't yet afford.

Nerd brand?! What the actual f***

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Nerd brand?! What the actual f***
    I agree though, Id put Breguet in with ALS / Parmigiani etc.
    Watch nerds know about them, trade is never asked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Slightly off tangent here but are you still getting high volumes of requests for AP? I'd assume Rolex demand is fairly constant though.

It wouldn't matter how wealthy I was, I wouldn't buy a watch with Roman numerals on the dial.

California dials are the worst

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It wouldn't matter how wealthy I was, I wouldn't buy a watch with Roman numerals on the dial.

California dials are the worst

M
    Agree - in my 25 years of collecting/flipping, I have never desired one with roman numerals and dislike california dials too!

You could say the same for pretty much any brand outside of the core Casio/Rolex/Seiko/Omega type companies, a friend of mine hadn't even heard of Citizen let alone Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, or Vacheron Constantin.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Slightly off tangent here but are you still getting high volumes of requests for AP? I'd assume Rolex demand is fairly constant though.
    Openworked and anniversary models still have a steady stream of demand but the 15500s and jumbos - tumbleweed.
    PP Rolex and RM still fairly consistent.
    Last edited by verv; 2nd August 2022 at 23:25.

Openworked and anniversary models still have a steady stream of demand but the 15500s and jumbos - tumbleweed.
    PP Rolex and RM still fairly consistent.
    Cheers for that

I don't know if Omega mark watches as discontinued on their website but I did read the same and it's out of stock on Omega now. Still in stock at a lot of ADs but will no doubt dwindle over time.

They need to get that same design team on some of their other models.

Yes, apologies for missing that it’s already been discontinued by Omega. Was a very short (numbered, limited “ish”) run and extremely sought after from everything I’m hearing from my contacts so would be surprised if there’s much stock kicking around in AD’s.

Agree that their website could be more helpful/up to date in regard to real world availability. I was interested in the Speedmaster FOIS too but that’s all gone now as well.

Popped up today: https://youtu.be/c2rJd0eIcNc

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post

That’s the next watch to go ballistic if you ask me. I’ve thought it for a while and they are a relative bargain.

Master
    There are some watches you see released and expect to see a bunch of on the forum and then don't see even one. For me it's the Omega CK859.

Absolutely beautiful but I haven't seen a single one here - even searching titles it only brings up a WTB from 11 years ago for the original.

WF have one at the moment, £5.5k for a 2022 with papers but no box.
    https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/...25/item/223373

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glashutte Original. Always thought of them as underappreciated and now I own one it only reinforces that view. Superbly made and a great variety of models - literally something for everyone.

This is a truly stunning watch. Really weird as last week was in Leeds and saw this in the window at Berry's in the Victoria Quarter. What a lovely watch. Never seen it before and then this thread is on here and its the first watch.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post

And already sold. To sell at £5,500 (with papers, but without the box) it shows these are really going to hold their value and, in time, increase too.

And already sold. To sell at £5,500 (with papers, but without the box) it shows these are really going to hold their value and, in time, increase too.
    There have been several recent reviews, so there might be a little hype, I think we will know 1 year from now.

I don't like it much myself, from the photos it looks like a pocket watch stuck to a strap. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of pre-1960s style designs though.

Lip nautic ski and Vulcain cricket I would've expected a few more of. And the likes of vintage Aquastar Benthos etc.
    I love the Vulcain Cricket:

If I had infinite disposal income I would have had one by now.

Dunhill you say? Here're my two - both LE. The facet was for the year 2000 and the little cushion-cased manual-wind jobbie was for Dunhill's 100th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Dunhill you say? Here're my two - both LE. The facet was for the year 2000 and the little cushion-cased manual-wind jobbie was for Dunhill's 100th anniversary.

Nice. I have a Dunhill "centenary" mechanical too. I think the are very under rated.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Still in stock at Chisholm Hunter. Ditto Leonard Dews and Berry's. With a discount too.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 11th August 2022 at 00:05.

Still in stock at Chisholm Hunter. Ditto Leonard Dews and Berry's. With a discount too.
    They had one at the Omega Boutique at the Trafford Centre when I was there last Saturday.

I'm just about to give blood in a shopping centre with an Omega AD and the online store says it's in stock, might see if I can try it on.

Problem is a domed DJ41 on oyster is only £500 more and a lot more versatile though probably not as cool.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    That is very nice. How do people not have the box on a 2022 model. Surly they would keep hold of the box

Beautiful watch.

I see Fratello just did an article on it https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-omega-ck-859/

On the subject I'm surprised the far cheaper Longines Sector dial isn't more popular either...

Last edited by Tetlee; 11th August 2022 at 11:06.

Master
    Tetlee, you’re right about the Longines Sector dial. I mentioned it in post 35. It’s a lovely design and a great alternative to the Omega.

I'm just about to give blood in a shopping centre with an Omega AD and the online store says it's in stock, might see if I can try it on.

Problem is a domed DJ41 on oyster is only £500 more and a lot more versatile though probably not as cool.
    I'd go DJ41 all day long although that Omega will get a 15% discount so the price differential will be more like £1250 in the end

I'd go DJ41 all day long although that Omega will get a 15% discount so the price differential will be more like £1250 in the end

Show me an Omega AD that will discount an in stock CK859 by 15% and I will buy it on the spot today.

Smile

Show me the money!

Tried it on, quite nice and the dome is beautiful but thought the colours would be richer.

Think it's JLC for me if I ever get a sector dial.

Show me an Omega AD that will discount an in stock CK859 by 15% and I will buy it on the spot today.
    Contact Champagne James.

Contact Champagne James.

Have been in touch with James before so will touch base once again................but that wasn't quite what your 2 posts alluded to about "Omega AD's" (3 chains mentioned) with stock and with "15% discounts" was it?!

Craftsman
    On the Omega theme, Globemasters don't appear much. There were one or two around near launch but I haven't seen one on SC for a long time.
    The blue dial on bracelet is the pick for me.