closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Helson Sharkmaster 300

Helson Sharkmaster 300

I've been offered one of these, and I was wondering what was the good, bad and ugly?

The reviews I've read and watched aren't really from YouTubers/sites that I would typically "trust". I find it strange that HODINKEE, Worn & Wound...etc, haven't covered it as far as I can tell?

They look great, and the ETA 2824 is good for the price. I know "made in China" isn't as bad as it used to be, but it still doesn't inspire me with buy blind confidence like a Swiss-made watch.

I’ve owned two and they’re fantastic watches. Design, build quality timekeeping, basically everything is spot on. You can’t go wrong at the right price.

My Sharkmaster 600 is the only micro I would not entertain getting rid of.
    Build quality is fantastic for the money
    Lume is epic
    It’s the best micro brand I have owned and have thought about adding the the 300 even though I own an original SM300 from the 60s. I have owed a few micros but only a couple remain.
    A mate owns a 50 fathoms Helson and it’s another cracker.
    Take them as they are, vintage inspired watches with modern build quality much like our hosts offerings, they are equally as good.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th July 2022 at 21:56.

Master
    If you want a classic Seamaster 300 165.014 lookalike then go for it. Personally I love em. Don’t own one but would be happy to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    My Sharkmaster 600 is the only micro I would not entertain getting rid of.
    Build quality is fantastic for the money
    Lume is epic
    It’s the best micro brand I have owned and have thought about adding the the 300 even though I own an original SM300 from the 60s
    A mate owns a 50 fathoms Helson and it’s another cracker.
    Take them as they are, vintage inspired watches with modern build quality much like our hosts offerings, they are equally as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’ve owned two and they’re fantastic watches. Design, build quality timekeeping, basically everything is spot on. You can’t go wrong at the right price.
    That's reassuring, what is a good price for one?

Why do you think they've had quite poor media coverage?

For pre-owned prices, have a look at historic SC sales. Other than a few water resistance issues maybe ten years ago I didn’t realise they had poor press.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    That's reassuring, what is a good price for one?

Why do you think they've had quite poor media coverage?

For pre-owned prices, have a look at historic SC sales. Other than a few water resistance issues maybe ten years ago I didn’t realise they had poor press.
    Unfortunately, I can't view SC yet, as I've not been a member long enough :(

They don't seem to have sent any samples out for a long time. Worn & Wound had some coverage from 2010-2012, but everyone else that's reviewed it seems to have bought it with their £££.

Apologies. Depending on age, condition and what comes with it I’d say between £475 and £550.

Some brands just don’t like the whole YouTube reviews thing and prefer to use the feedback and repeat custom of their customers as a gauge to what they’re doing well and not so well.

Fabulous watches though.

Unfortunately, I can't view SC yet, as I've not been a member long enough :(

They don't seem to have sent any samples out for a long time. Worn & Wound had some coverage from 2010-2012, but everyone else that's reviewed it seems to have bought it with their £££.

There were some 600s that had a leak issue which were sorted asap, other than that I have not heard any bad press about them.
    I guess they don’t feature in mainstream watch media as they are a homage brand, however if you go on you tube there are a number of videos of their offerings. Either way, bought well it does not stand to loose you much if you were to flip.
    I have a strange obsession with watches that comply/ homage defstan 66-4 of which the SM 300 was the inspiration. If you can’t stretch to an SM300, or a CWC Diver then this would be good alternative to get the look.

Apologies. Depending on age, condition and what comes with it I’d say between £475 and £550.

Some brands just don’t like the whole YouTube reviews thing and prefer to use the feedback and repeat custom of their customers as a gauge to what they’re doing well and not so well.

Fabulous watches though.
    No worries, thanks for the information!

There were some 600s that had a leak issue which were sorted asap, other than that I have not heard any bad press about them.
    I guess they don’t feature in mainstream watch media as they are a homage brand, however if you go on you tube there are a number of videos of their offerings. Either way, bought well it does not stand to loose you much if you were to flip.
    I have a strange obsession with watches that comply/ homage defstan 66-4 of which the SM 300 was the inspiration. If you can’t stretch to an SM300, or a CWC Diver then this would be good alternative to get the look.
    I actually have a CWC SBS day/date, but I wanted something in raw metal with no day/date too for contrast.

I have this, bought from SC earlier in the year. A Billy Bargain at £450 I recall. I've worn it on two holidays this year, and on the Nato it's a perfect holiday watch. I'd really love the original Omega 300 but I have short arms and long pockets. Time keeping was good and the crown was smooth, unlike both an OceanX and a Tactical Frog, which were both grouchy from day 1.

If I didn't already have a Proplof, I'd be happy to add a Sharkmaster 600 to the collection. I've been trying to buy the Helson Turtle orange (the Certina homage) but as soon as they come into stock they get sold out.

I'd buy the Sharkmaster, if you find that you're not enjoying it I'm sure it would sell on here.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

And on the Nato

One has just come up on the Bay if anyone is looking out for one. No affiliation to the seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185521496...mis&media=COPY

I gave up with the seller I was negotiating with, who was trying to charge me $100 for shipping after I showed him how to do it for $50.

It's a shame the ebay item has a date, was ideally looking for it without one. There's a restock of new this month on Helson's site, so I may indulge.

I gave up with the seller I was negotiating with, who was trying to charge me $100 for shipping after I showed him how to do it for $50.

It's a shame the ebay item has a date, was ideally looking for it without one. There's a restock of new this month on Helson's site, so I may indulge.
    Where are you based? The watch was in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Where are you based? The watch was in the UK?
    No, it was in the USA and I'm in the UK

There's a restock of new this month on Helson's site, so I may indulge.
    Excellent. I might finally get a Helson Mango.

OP I think in your shoes I’d post a WTB to try and get one from the forum.

There’s a blue dial model at Chronomaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Excellent. I might finally get a Helson Mango.

OP I think in your shoes I’d post a WTB to try and get one from the forum.
    I'd like to! But I don't have enough time on the forum yet. I think I have another month to go before I'm allowed to view it.

There’s a blue dial model at Chronomaster.
    Sadly it needs to be orange. As per the Certina it homages to.

Great news, the seller came back to me and agreed to my terms!! Really looking forward to receiving it

If you had a choice between a very rare cwc or a watchco 300 what would you choose? Same price

Helson Sharkmaster 300

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    If you had a choice between a very rare cwc or a watchco 300 what would you choose? Same price
    Without doubt a 1980 issued CWC diver (poss any early 80s issued CWC divers watch) over a Watchco 300. The 1980 is looking like it might be my end game.
    That said I own an original m SM300 so I have the Omega covered.
    Now if an issued SM300 turned up that could swing things a little.

Like a lot of my watches (and their owner) it looks a lot rougher in photos than it does in real life.

Great news, the seller came back to me and agreed to my terms!! Really looking forward to receiving it
    Glad you managed to pick one up, I hope you enjoy it.

Without doubt a 1980 issued CWC diver (poss any early 80s issued CWC divers watch) over a Watchco 300. The 1980 is looking like it might be my end game.
    That said I own an original m SM300 so I have the Omega covered.
    Now if an issued SM300 turned up that could swing things a little.

Like a lot of my watches (and their owner) it looks a lot rougher in photos than it does in real life.
    Thanks I was leaning towards the cwc although on paper I guess omega would be considered a better buy,
    nice watch

Glad you managed to pick one up, I hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks Sinn! Hopefully, I'll be able to add an Omega SM300 to my collection next year. I really want to get a feel for the watch with the Helson first.

Can't tell you guys how pleased I am with this buy, probably my favourite watch so far!

Actually really like the rubber band it came with, but i'll probably switch it over the bracelet tomorrow.

I've tried the bracelet and I don't like it much, feels like an afterthought.

I have read that Omega straps will fit it, is this true and if so which model do I need to look for?

Journeyman
    Can't tell you guys how pleased I am with this buy, probably my favourite watch so far!

Actually really like the rubber band it came with, but i'll probably switch it over the bracelet tomorrow.
    That is a cracking looking watch-enjoy

Master
    I've tried the bracelet and I don't like it much, feels like an afterthought.

I have read that Omega straps will fit it, is this true and if so which model do I need to look for?
    I believe flat link 1039 or a 1171 would be the right Look. Use 633 end links. They certainly fit a 165.024 vintage SM300 with the latter bracelet.

1171 below was mine. Vintage version has the Omega logo in the trapezoid. Later version it’s in a square. Also look for the 11 stamped inside the clasp.

You'll have to forgive me, I don't know very much about Omega watches/straps at all.

What does the 633 refer to?

If I wanted to get an aftermarket bracelet, what should I look for so that I know it will fit as this just says "Standard" end links for example: https://www.uncleseiko.com/collectio...seamaster-300m

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I believe flat link 1039 or a 1171 would be the right Look. Use 633 end links. They certainly fit a 165.024 vintage SM300 with the latter bracelet.

1171 below was mine. Vintage version has the Omega logo in the trapezoid. Later version it’s in a square. Also look for the 11 stamped inside the clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by bluther2 View Post
    That is a cracking looking watch-enjoy
    Thanks! I'm still really enjoying it, it's a shame the previous owner used what looks like a wrench to change the strap... but I got it at a good price so I'm fine with it.

Master
    You'll have to forgive me, I don't know very much about Omega watches/straps at all.

What does the 633 refer to?

If I wanted to get an aftermarket bracelet, what should I look for so that I know it will fit as this just says "Standard" end links for example: https://www.uncleseiko.com/collectio...seamaster-300m
    Haha! The 633 is the reference number of the end links.

I guess that the aftermarket bracelet will be fine as it will have an end that fits inside the pressed steel end links. To me it would be worth gambling that the Uncle Seiko one will fit. Worse case scenario is the end links aren’t quite right and you feel you have to sell it on SC. Alternatively you could get OEM end links from Omega and pair them up with the Uncle Seiko bracelet.

I have no idea if Uncle Seiko do accept returns if the bracelet doesn’t fit properly.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Haha! The 633 is the reference number of the end links.

I guess that the aftermarket bracelet will be fine as it will have an end that fits inside the pressed steel end links. To me it would be worth gambling that the Uncle Seiko one will fit. Worse case scenario is the end links aren’t quite right and you feel you have to sell it on SC. Alternatively you could get OEM end links from Omega and pair them up with the Uncle Seiko bracelet.

I have no idea if Uncle Seiko do accept returns if the bracelet doesn’t fit properly.

Good luck

Sorry I meant, does the 633 refer to a specific Omega model(s)?

Would any of the uncle Seiko brackets made for omega work?
    I have won’t that works with both my Speedmaster Pro and my vintage Seamaster 300.
    Cheaper than the Omega if you are not 100% sure about the look.

Would any of the uncle Seiko brackets made for omega work?
    I have won’t that works with both my Speedmaster Pro and my vintage Seamaster 300.
    Cheaper than the Omega if you are not 100% sure about the look.
    I wasn't sure as uncle seiko lists:

Speedmaster
    Speedmaster reduced
    Seamaster

I assumed that meant that all three have different end links?