closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 69173 "T291120" beware - RENUMBERED

Master

Rolex 69173 "T291120" beware - RENUMBERED

I have just seen a Rolex 69173 with non-Rolex diamond dial.

The case ends were caked in filth but one has to hold one's nose and dig through it....as the following proves.

Case number appeared to be T291120 but the original number had been removed and this number re-applied it its place.

I have informed the bearer and advised them that they may be committing an offence if they now try to sell it without disclosing same.

H

Master
    So, out of interest, what happens now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    So, out of interest, what happens now?
    Typically, private (and some trade) owners of renumbered watches will try to sell it to another mug without telling them what they now (or perhaps always) knew about it.

Some might try to get their money back from the person or business who sold it to them, if relevant.

Others will continue to wear it, while some traders will break such a watch up for parts.

Renumbered watches are a real problem, as many do not spot them even if they are among the minority who are aware of the phenomenon. I do not exaggerate if I report that there are thousands of renumbered Rolex in circulation, most unrecognised and certainly not declared even if they are.

If one is identified and its original number cannot be determined, then sale with full disclosure does not seem unreasonable.

Out of curiosity, why are watches renumbered? I get it the original number might become illegible, but why not reapply that number rather than another one?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Sometimes to clarify a worn or damaged number, usually in clumsy style and to greater harm than good.

Sometimes to disguise a stolen watch.

Sometimes simply to match a set of spare papers to a watch with none. The [perceived] added value of a watch with papers is far greater than the cost of the renumbering, to the unscrupulous.

If one has been renumbered, it is then often impossible to determine the original identity, whether the number is in fact correct or has been changed.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 29th July 2022 at 19:34.