closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car advice...

Master

Car advice...

So I bought a Mk7.5 Golf R last July. I have completed 10,000 miles on it. It has been fine, it had its service last month. They have said that it needs a new water pump, although it has not leaked any water on the drive or the water level has not moved with 1,000 miles covered.

Anyhow, I am getting a little bored of it. I do need back seats for my two little ones, but I am considering a BMW 430i convertible or a 440i coupe. If I sell mine it does though ruin my watch fund though, as I am looking at my car being worth around £20k (I have been offered this by a couple of dealers) and putting around £3k-£5k towards the new car.

I have previously owned a m135i and a 335i.

I also considered an Audi A5 cabriolet, but that one has been since sold, so either one of those or a S5.

I know these cars are not great family cars, but I have checked and the child car seats fit back into the A5 cabriolet. I am happy to go to a two door car.

Anyone got any suggestions? should I just keep the golf and eventually get the water pump done?
    Last edited by s1wnw; 27th July 2022 at 08:39.

I just looked at some pictures and car has 4 doors and back seats.

Different model without?

Wouldn't a coupe be even worse getting them in?

Cheapest option is to just replace the pump

Other choice is to sell and use the money to finance monthly payments. Buy your watch (provided it's under a certain amount) and use the rest to finance monthly payment for a few years
    DON

Grand Master
    2 door cars are a pain thesedays, the width of modern cars coupled with the larger doors needed to access the back makes them v. difficult to get in and out of when parked in a typical parking space.

OP doesn’t say how old kids are, but child seats and 2 door cars is a bad combination in my experience. Practicality should prevail, its not wise to try and convince yourself otherwise. Get the right tool for the job, get a sensible car with enough space and 4 doors that suits your needs.

4 series gran coupe? I personally wouldn't want big coupe doors trying to get kids in and out.

Master
    They are four and six years old. They can unbuckle themselves although I do still buckle them in for security etc. I get what you are saying about door length. That is something to be considered, so is the gran coupe of s5 sportback. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’d go with an S4 Avant personally. I have similar aged kids and wouldn’t consider anything smaller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    So I bought a Mk7.5 Golf R last July. I have completed 10,000 miles on it. It has been fine, it had its service last month. They have said that it needs a new water pump, although it has not leaked any water on the drive or the water level has not moved with 1,000 miles covered.

Anyhow, I am getting a little bored of it. I do need back seats for my two little ones, but I am considering a BMW 430i convertible or a 440i coupe. If I sell mine it does though ruin my watch fund though, as I am looking at my car being worth around £20k (I have been offered this by a couple of dealers) and putting around £3k-£5k towards the new car.

I have previously owned a m135i and a 335i.

I also considered an Audi A5 cabriolet, but that one has been since sold, so either one of those or a S5.

I know these cars are not great family cars, but I have checked and the child car seats fit back into the A5 cabriolet. I am happy to go to a two door car.

Anyone got any suggestions? should I just keep the golf and eventually get the water pump done?
    As an aside...it's a common fault... coolant leak on the Golf R(VWROC loads of info)...it's usually the thermostat housing but both are replaced normally...if not under warranty there is usually a good will offer from VW.

Good luck with your next car.