closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone work in Manufacturing/ Product Design

Anyone work in Manufacturing/ Product Design

I’ve got an idea for a product which isn’t ground breaking but no one else currently manufactures or sells anything similar.

The product is for the automotive sector and would most likely use vacuum forming or 3d printing as a production method.

I am at a complete loss about how to get some manufacturing drawings and source a suitable manufacturer for a prototype.

Does anyone on here work in Manufacturing or Product Design who may be able to point me in the right direction?

Blog Entries
    I do…. There’ll be numerous product design companies who can knock up your drawings

Approach a few (don’t discuss the idea)

Get an NDA in place

Employ the one you want

Plenty of 3D printers can do batches at reasonable prices

Alternatively, depends on the mould and projected numbers…. The higher the number of casts the more expensive the tool will be…. If you’re not certain choose a cheaper tool…

As for making it…. You can go east or stay local…. They’ll break down costs dependant on volumes…. Ensure you’ve get the sales to justify any volumes

Any IP here? You may want to protect first before going further?

Good luck, the world needs people to innovate, so you have my respect!

As above. Protect the IP first and get NDA in place before sharing any drawings or technical data. I would suggest to use local manufacturing to prove the product and process, then move offshore once you are certain it works and manufactures reliably. If it is automotive, you may also need to consider regulations and homologation implications.

Some good advice here already.
    IP protection can become very costly so you really want to make sure there is a market for this.
    I'm assuming it's an after market product and you are not looking to sell to the OEM's
    The size of product and complexity will drive the manufacturing process. If its one piece or an assembly of parts etc

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Another ting to consider is checking you are not infringing the IP of another party. It’s not unknown for OEM’s and others to register IP and not do anything with it. Just because something is not on the market, does not mean it is not protected. Good luck with the venture.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

The item is cosmetic and wouldn’t have any IP associated with it. My product premiumises something that a variety of manufacturers and sellers have on the market, so it’s not a ground up new product.

It’s difficult to explain without revealing what it is, but there’s definitely demand for the product and it would provide people with a vastly cheaper alternative which is significantly better quality than the products on the market.

Depending on the design, it could be one piece but in all likelihood there will be multiple elements.

The market is Campervan and motorhome primarily with other uses in the commercial vehicle domain.

NDA is obvious, however the thing most people end up in trouble with is not having a clear and agreed requirements schedule, most design houses will take advantage of this., before you talk to anyone sit down and write down your exact statement of requirements, expectations and timescales, establishing the deliverables is key.

And don’t give any payment up front.

I deal with several consultancies and designers, most are slipper as *****
    Last edited by adrianw; 26th July 2022 at 21:19.

Just so you know. It you hire a Chinese factory to make it. If it's popular and they see added money in it. They will sell it behind your back to other re-sellers.

Patents be damned

If you can. Stay local.
    DON

I’m aware that in all likelihood , my idea could be replicated, as that’s kind of what I’m doing in a way to an existing product.

Not planning on becoming a millionaire but success will be heavily branding and marketing dependent.

I’d love to keep it local but it seems to be an indictment of how globalisation has ruined local manufacturing. I can’t find anybody to create what I need. Everyone just says speak to a factory in China.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny778 View Post
    I’m aware that in all likelihood , my idea could be replicated, as that’s kind of what I’m doing in a way to an existing product.

Not planning on becoming a millionaire but success will be heavily branding and marketing dependent.

I’d love to keep it local but it seems to be an indictment of how globalisation has ruined local manufacturing. I can’t find anybody to create what I need. Everyone just says speak to a factory in China.
    I tried to use a US company for one of my items, but they wanted $100 just for a sample. Swiss company did my whole order including registered return s/h for $87.00US

Overseas company. Start with a reasonable amount and if sales are good. You can order more. keep an eye out (maybe a year or so) and see if anyone else is now selling it and taper off on ordering (unless inexpensive cost per item), so you don't get stuck with product if more sellers started showing up.

DON