closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ming 37.07

Ming 37.07

So Ming have unveiled their new release, the 37.07 https://www.ming.watch/products/ming-37-07

I think it looks incredible. I just dislike their sales mechanism! I don't really want to wake up at 3am to try and buy a damn watch.

Master
    From what I saw there are two tranches, so there’s a second bite in the afternoon UK time. So the first session seems Asia focussed, the second more Europe / US.

Or possible to hVe two attempts!

With a 37.05 AND a 22.01 still not with me I'm undecided about whether I'll go for this one. Interesting dial but I'll probably pass, perhaps pick one up from C24 next year when the market is saturated; not a limited run, only limited by how many are ordered so is likely go the way of the red and blue 17.09s, readily available right now on the secondary market without a premium.

Master
    Only available with the white strap?

Looks a lot better when it's glowing then when it's not IMO.

Side note, but I can't help but sigh at some of the emails they put out too. They really don't do themselves any favours sometimes.

Also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GtSalRGl8
    Last edited by M1011; 25th July 2022 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Looks a lot better when it's glowing then when it's not IMO.

Side note, but I can't help but sigh at some of the emails they put out too. They really don't do themselves any favours sometimes.

Also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GtSalRGl8
    But this is a no win situation - as a small brand it's hard to anticipate demand and commit to x number of pieces with a shorter delivery time-frame. The planning takes 12 months. Otherwise they will only make 250 odd pieces and they sell out ASAP. Also a deposit at least guarantees that if someone flakes out, the brand doesn't lose out. In the end this is a small startup.

By having a window to order (2 to cater for timezones), everyone who is interested to obtain one can at least get one. But the downside is of course waiting for it. This seems a much better system.

I like the watch itself, but do agree it looks better glowing when not glowing. Plus I have the chrono still incoming.....

Whatever it takes to make the next watch. Gorgeous mov.

It's not as if Federico is actually making anything...

Is there a risk? Yeah. Probably. But that is what alpha males do. Take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Taking a lowly Sellita and making it look nice takes some effort. A lot of folk seem to forget that i think when looking at the price.

I also don't see it as a huge risk - Ming is 5 years old and a good track for delivering when they say, so even the betas should be ok with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Taking a lowly Sellita and making it look nice takes some effort. A lot of folk seem to forget that i think when looking at the price.

I also don't see it as a huge risk - Ming is 5 years old and a good track for delivering when they say, so even the betas should be ok with it.....
    It's not just risk, it's the principle of it. You're funding the company to make the watches then sell them to you at a hefty premium. Of course if you want the watch enough you'll be OK with that, but at least we should all have our eyes open to what's going on.

Also going to just assume the alpha male thing was a joke, because otherwise oh dear..

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It's not just risk, it's the principle of it. You're funding the company to make the watches then sell them to you at a hefty premium. Of course if you want the watch enough you'll be OK with that, but at least we should all have our eyes open to what's going on.

Also going to just assume the alpha male thing was a joke, because otherwise oh dear..
    Have you heard of the idea of a 'subscription watch'? Independent watchmakers could never afford to to commission a series of watches, so to kick off their new ideas they took money all up front for a number of watches and then delivered as and when the watches were ready. This could take years!

This isn't that much different to be honest, at least here they it's only 50% and not the whole cost to ensure they have some costs covered if someone fails to commit to a watch (I assume likely ok via a waitlist).

That is very very cool their watches always impress Me

Journeyman
    A stunning piece that will be on reseller sites before most of us get a chance to buy

Federico does have a point - it's an interest free loan. Throw in the very limited window for ordering and you create hype on the cheap.

Clever.

I really hope the next version of this case and dial design takes a Moser style approach; all mosaic dial and no minute track/indices. I think it would look stunning.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m still on the fence with Ming. Some but perhaps not enough appreciation for the brand as I don’t quite ‘buy in’? Although I do like the idea of a niche brand which is different yet still flies under the radar - aficionados best kept secret perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    I really hope the next version of this case and dial design takes a Moser style approach; all mosaic dial and no minute track/indices. I think it would look stunning.
    I think all the watches have some aspect of central design (like a sector dial) and our track. So i reckon that is unlikely....

Journeyman
    While I have an appreciation for the photography which is where Ming’s reputation comes from, in the flesh and on the wrist I was a bit disappointed by my 17.06

Didn’t quite look or feel as good as I had hoped it might from the product photos.

Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    While I have an appreciation for the photography which is where Ming’s reputation comes from, in the flesh and on the wrist I was a bit disappointed by my 17.06

Didn’t quite look or feel as good as I had hoped it might from the product photos.
    This is part of my fear! Hence why I've got a WTB out for one, I want to experience one and see what they're like.

Lest we forget MKII and the Bill Yao business model he subjected his loyal followers to for years? Take the money, then keep them waiting 18-24 months while you fine-tune the details to the point of absurdity. The Kingston and the GMT were two examples.

Great watches when they were finished though.

Craftsman
    Ordered...coming to a forum near you in about 10 months if it's not for me

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    Ordered...coming to a forum near you in about 10 months if it's not for me

But I'm really expecting to love it if the photos and review on Fratello are anything to go by The author had one of the two already made, on the wrist for a week.....and he says he was blown away.....we'll wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post

The 17 series have never really done it for me - i've always ended up with the more pricey models for that reason. The Ming diver is pretty much my favourite watch at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Lest we forget MKII and the Bill Yao business model he subjected his loyal followers to for years? Take the money, then keep them waiting 18-24 months while you fine-tune the details to the point of absurdity. The Kingston and the GMT were two examples.

Great watches when they were finished though.
    I've got a friend who paid 15k odd with an indie and waiting for his watch.....2 years later! At least Ming's timelines for delivery are pretty bang on. My Ming chrono was ordered in Dec and I was told Sept/Oct this year - still on target when i checked a few weeks ago!

Had to. I'm waiting on three Mings now. Love the watches but unsure how much of a mug this makes me...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Had to. I'm waiting on three Mings now. Love the watches but unsure how much of a mug this makes me...
    Haha! Congrats.

When is the first new Ming due?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Haha! Congrats.

When is the first new Ming due?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
    Hopefully next month, the 37.05.

Craftsman
    I bought my first MING last year and had to do the “50% up front dance” to get it. For a startup, it makes total sense why they are doing this but as the years roll by it feels like they are milking the opportunity to be funded in advance by their eager customers. That said, it’s a clever bit of business - and if people are willing to do it, then fantastic for MING- no hefty bank loans and no fears that the watches get produced but not purchased. I don’t think it’s going to be sustainable for them in the long term. If they want to position themselves out of micro brand territory there may have to come a point where they have a proper retail presence.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    On the same boat… my 37.05 should be shipped next week, the others no news yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A watch company that according to their press is going through some serious expansion with the original owner taking a back seat role a promoting a graduate to the running of the company, albeit one who has been with the company for a couple of years…interesting times

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    On the same boat… my 37.05 should be shipped next week, the others no news yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The chronos are on track when i checked up. I don't know where you are on the list, but early shipments Sept/Oct.