closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White or Silver dial 'Dive' watch inspiration, what's out there?

Master

White or Silver dial 'Dive' watch inspiration, what's out there?

I currently have an itch to add a white or possibly silver/grey dial watch to my collection and I'm looking for inspiration.
    It amazes me how many brands appear on TZ posts that I have never seen or heard of, so what can you suggest that I'm unaware of?

ideally,
    • Dive style (I just like the style, polished are generally to dressy for me)

• Automatic

• No Cyclops or Date magnifier

• on a bracelet (not a deal breaker)

• Original design (i.e. not an obvious homage)

• No subdials, hours and minutes are enough

• budget, initially was £250 but I could stretch to £1000 (swaying towards new rather than used)

I've looked at Seiko 5/Prospex, Doxa 200, Phoibos, Helson, Armida,
    What else is out there for me to consider, suggestions appreciated
    Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 3rd August 2022 at 20:56.

The white dial Scurfa treasure seeker might fit the bill? £442 when in stock and seems to be the most popular dial colour judging by forum comments. I’m not sure of the honeycomb dial personally, but the quartz D1’s I’ve owned have been incredibly well made and I doubt the treasure seeker is any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The white dial Scurfa treasure seeker might fit the bill? £442 when in stock and seems to be the most popular dial colour judging by forum comments. I’m not sure of the honeycomb dial personally, but the quartz D1’s I’ve owned have been incredibly well made and I doubt the treasure seeker is any different.

That does indeed tick quite a few boxes, thanks for the suggestion
    I personally like the look of the honeycomb dial but that applied logo would bother me

The Serica 5303 is at the top end of your budget but is quite unique. There's a silver dialled version but the black dial, blue bezel model is my favourite.

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/product/serica-5303-silver-dial/

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    That does indeed tick quite a few boxes, thanks for the suggestion
    I personally like the look of the honeycomb dial but that applied logo would bother me
    There’s a few owners pictures on watchuseek and the logo looks a lot less obvious in the flesh tbh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    The Serica 5303 is at the top end of your budget but is quite unique. There's a silver dialled version but the black dial, blue bezel model is my favourite.

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/pr...3-silver-dial/
    new brand I haven't heard of,
    unfortunately the aesthetics don't work for me, looks a little clustered. Probably perfect as designed/a dive watch but not for me on dry land with a Martini (pint) in hand
    cheers

Master
    There’s a few owners pictures on watchuseek and the logo looks a lot less obvious in the flesh tbh
    Some good pictures on there,
    appreciate I haven't seen it but the rectangular border around the brand name and the fact it's raised/applied just doesn't appeal to me (yes, I accept I'm fussy!)

Well you could probably find one of these older models and get it under budget.

Mitch

Marathon MSAR / GSAR?

RZE endeavour. Unique design, bracelet, not polished, Ti case so lightweight.

Doxa would be the obvious choice to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, Seiko looks interesting
    To be honest I had only considered buying new, older/vintage opens another can of worms!
    Not a fan of chronos, 2/3 hand prefered

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Marathon MSAR / GSAR?
    Marathon looks to be out of price range

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    RZE endeavour. Unique design, bracelet, not polished, Ti case so lightweight.
    RZE looks interesting especially as Ti.
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 23rd July 2022 at 20:06.

Marathon looks to be out of price range
    https://www.watchgecko.com/marathon-...ize-white-36mm

Also a few other options here:

https://www.watchgecko.com/watches/s..._type=6836&p=2

Master
    Cheers, Marathon possibly a bit small at 36mm and looks a bit busy, I'll have a browse through the others

Master

I liked the look of the Newmark 71 in silver, but wasn't solvent enough to pick one up when they were available. I can imagine you might be able to find one used.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Cheers, Marathon possibly a bit small at 36mm and looks a bit busy, I'll have a browse through the others
    There is one for sale on SC currently.
    They are a great watch, bullet proof with great lume

Edit, I think it has been withdrawn.

Craftsman
    Baby Polar Dreadnought?

Master
    Have a gawps at this review, the Squale or Halios may be of interest...

http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/06/...e-dial-divers/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Baby Polar Dreadnought?
    Had a look to see what Eddie had on offer, guessing all were sold out pretty quick
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Have a gawps at this review, the Squale or Halios may be of interest...

http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/06/...e-dial-divers/
    I'll have a read thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    It does indeed, don't think it would be as versatile as a steel/bracelet combination though. The DLC finish & black strap offset the dial, if that makes sense

Master
    Had a look to see what Eddie had on offer, guessing all were sold out pretty quick
    I've just popped over to the website and it looks like they are still in stock. The shop won't open again until next Sunday.

I would also recommend them. They are quite chunky but that is part of the deal with the watch. The bracelet balances it well, it is a bit top heavy on a Nato. Certainly not an homage watch (at a stretch it might be described as an homage the original Dreadnought). Just to add a couple of photos to this thread :

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I've just popped over to the website and it looks like they are still in stock. The shop won't open again until next Sunday.

I would also recommend them. They are quite chunky but that is part of the deal with the watch. The bracelet balances it well, it is a bit top heavy on a Nato. Certainly not an homage watch (at a stretch it might be described as an homage the original Dreadnought). Just to add a couple of photos to this thread :

Thanks Wimm, I missed the top banner regarding store closure, saw there was no option to buy and therefore (wrongly) assumed they'd sold out.
    I do like the design and it is probably one of the top contenders so far, if they are still available and I haven't already bought something I'll definitely be looking next Sunday
    cheers

Not the easiest to find but they are out there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    My lad has one of these with the blue dial. It's very well made with a 80hr PR and at 42mm is a solid chunk of metal and can occasionally can be found for less than RRP (he bought his from Watchnation, I think, and saved a couple of hundred quid on RRP).
    I rather like Hamilton having owned the 40mm date model, which coincidentally is also owned by my lad, so still in the family.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    That is a great shout thanks, 10%discount too

The turtle case design just isn't for me, I prefer the sumo/samurai this one is currently close to the top of my list https://www.watchnation.com/product/...kaAoIrEALw_wcB

Grey dawn seiko samurai would be a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Grey dawn seiko samurai would be a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Really like those, grey dial is a looker. Considered one a couple of years ago while looking for something with a bit of Orange (ended up with skx011) I struggled to find one close to RRP though

Orient 300m saturation diver is fairly well regarded, circa £700 used

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    Orient 300m saturation diver is fairly well regarded, circa £700 used
    Not doing it for me, dial a bit too busy with the power reserve and the dial seems small in proportion to the Bezel. Appreciate it's designed as a dive watch and that's why though.
    I like dive style watches in general but deepest I'll probably go is about 30cm in the pool/sea

Master
    Some great suggestions so far, Thanks all
    probably going to go with new rather than used, will have a good look through all suggestions later when on my computer
    cheers
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 24th July 2022 at 18:15.

Master
    After browsing online today think I'm getting closer to a purchase.
    As mentioned, this is to scratch an itch I currently have, when the time is right I'll ideally have a Linde Werdelin 'The one' or a Panerai Sub 01223 (The only watch I'd make an exception for with a subdial!)

So having looked at suggestions and more here is where I'm at,

Doxa are out. The 200 was a contender but White pearl is too white and don't like the yellow lume of the Searambler, started looking and really liked the 600T but I'm sticking to my budget this time around.

Baby Dreadnought polar is on the list and will definitely look when Timefactors reopens next week.

Scurfa Treasure seeker, after initial misgivings, I do like the style and bracelet design and was up for taking a punt only to find them out of Stock at the moment received an email reply from Scurfa and they are hoping for stock availability in November

So, my decision is to wait for availability or decide from the following
    Seiko 5, 140th anniversary - SRPG47K1 at £270
    Seiko Prospex, 140th anniversary -SPB213J1 - £847.5
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba - £810

Seiko 5 is obviously cheap, Prospex I'm always wary of alignment issues, Hamilton I've never owned before so might be good to mix it up a bit.
    Any of these 3 watches in the hands of forum members/any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Ian

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 26th July 2022 at 13:14. Reason: pics

All I can add at this point is that I don’t really like anything about the Hamilton - particularly the hands which look too similar. The whole design looks a bit ‘meh’ to me. I don’t like anyone of them as much as the Treasure Seeker tbh! - although the Seiko 5 to tide you over plus treasure seeker seems a sensible option to me!!

CW Trident Pro.
    Different ages differing logo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    CW Trident Pro.
    Different ages differing logo.
    I've owned CW before and was impressed with the quality for price paid but I'm not a fan of either the dial with branding and the logo or the Trident second hand of this particular model.

All I can add at this point is that I don’t really like anything about the Hamilton - particularly the hands which look too similar. The whole design looks a bit ‘meh’ to me. I don’t like anyone of them as much as the Treasure Seeker tbh! - although the Seiko 5 to tide you over plus treasure seeker seems a sensible option to me!!
    I wanted to like the Hamilton and was tempted to buy for the sake of trying a different brand but sensibly decided against as it just doesn't excite me.

So I have made a change to my original plan which has expedited the search for the watch I really want (man maths calculator has confirmed it's feasible) so I have bumped my old WTB for a Linde Werdelin.

In conjunction with my search I will try and secure a Polar Baby Dreadnought this Sunday when Timefactors reopens.
    Then if nothing comes of the above two actions I'll look to order the Treasure seeker when available in November.
    Thanks for all the input/suggestions so far.

Watch this space!

After browsing online today think I'm getting closer to a purchase.
    As mentioned, this is to scratch an itch I currently have, when the time is right I'll ideally have a Linde Werdelin 'The one' or a Panerai Sub 01223 (The only watch I'd make an exception for with a subdial!)

So having looked at suggestions and more here is where I'm at,

Doxa are out. The 200 was a contender but White pearl is too white and don't like the yellow lume of the Searambler, started looking and really liked the 600T but I'm sticking to my budget this time around.

Baby Dreadnought polar is on the list and will definitely look when Timefactors reopens next week.

Scurfa Treasure seeker, after initial misgivings, I do like the style and bracelet design and was up for taking a punt only to find them out of Stock at the moment received an email reply from Scurfa and they are hoping for stock availability in November

So, my decision is to wait for availability or decide from the following
    Seiko 5, 140th anniversary - SRPG47K1 at £270
    Seiko Prospex, 140th anniversary -SPB213J1 - £847.5
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba - £810

Seiko 5 is obviously cheap, Prospex I'm always wary of alignment issues, Hamilton I've never owned before so might be good to mix it up a bit.
    Any of these 3 watches in the hands of forum members/any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Ian
    Not having owned any of them, I'm no help whatsoever other than by saying I like all three. White dial and blue bezel and accents is a killer combination. The Seiko 5 obviously is a lot of bang for the buck. The hands and markers on the Hamilton go really well together and in my opinion give a more modern look to what otherwise would be a fairly traditional (dare I say generic) looking diver. On looks my choice would be the Prospex however, because I like the 62MAS style.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Not having owned any of them, I'm no help whatsoever other than by saying I like all three. White dial and blue bezel and accents is a killer combination. The Seiko 5 obviously is a lot of bang for the buck. The hands and markers on the Hamilton go really well together and in my opinion give a more modern look to what otherwise would be a fairly traditional (dare I say generic) looking diver. On looks my choice would be the Prospex however, because I like the 62MAS style.
    I'm definitely drawn to the White dial and blue bezel combinations, some of the white/white and white/steel combos can look a bit clinical. Prospex was a serious contender
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    Not a bad looking watch and price but September delivery wouldn't have satisfied my impulse.

Decision/plan made for now thanks though, see post #38

Sounds like you have a plan OP however I'll add OceanX to the mix anyway, I've two of their 1000 range and I'm really happy with them for the money.

They have a few in their lineup that fit the brief, for example https://www.seriouswatches.com/colle...-600-sms600-32

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Sounds like you have a plan OP however I'll add OceanX to the mix anyway, I've two of their 1000 range and I'm really happy with them for the money.

They have a few in their lineup that fit the brief, for example https://www.seriouswatches.com/colle...-600-sms600-32
    That is not bad, looks like a good chunk though and has a somewhat 'Rolex' vibe to it

Alsta Nautoscaphe IV "Great White" is worth a look, interesting revival with a backstory - handsome watch, too...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Alsta Nautoscaphe IV "Great White" is worth a look, interesting revival with a backstory - handsome watch, too...
    That is quite nice I like the bracelet style, I did try the Nautoscaph Superautomatic last year but wasn't overly impressed with the feel/quality for the price
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 30th July 2022 at 02:54.

Master
    SF I bought the SPB213J1 and it’s a lovely watch. The case and dial make it.

This may or may not help you.

https://youtu.be/ddv-9Y0EXIA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    SF I bought the SPB213J1 and it’s a lovely watch. The case and dial make it.

This may or may not help you.

https://youtu.be/ddv-9Y0EXIA
    Thanks for that,
    does look good and the video shows the case/dial better than pics alone. If I'd have been looking previously and seen one at just over £700 I'd have probably bought on the spot.

Elliot Brown might have something to suit.....

This is their Bloxworth, a quartz, but there are plenty of other models for you to peruse.
    https://elliotbrownwatches.com/colle...ab=description

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Elliot Brown might have something to suit.....

This is their Bloxworth, a quartz, but there are plenty of other models for you to peruse.
    https://elliotbrownwatches.com/colle...ab=description
    Nothing at all there that fits the bill

Fingers crossed I'll get sorted with something when Timefactors opens later this aft.
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 3rd August 2022 at 21:00.

Master
    Sorted for now...
    Arrived yesterday, first impressions are very good, thanks for the above advice/info and of course to Eddie

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk