closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prescription Cycling (Sun) Glasses

Prescription Cycling (Sun) Glasses

I tend to just wear my sunnies for shorter rides, but on hotter days do find they slip when sweaty and also field of vision isnt ideal.

I have some Bolle cycling glasses I use with contacts for longer rides/events which works well but still not ideal.

Just wondered if anyone had managed to crack this problem at a sensible price, I appreciate you can buy cycling glasses with a prescription but when I've looked your looking at £400-500 which I don't think my level of cycling really justifies!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Have you checked RXSport?

I have had two pairs of prescription sunglasses from them - one Bolle one Oakley and they have been great. They are a lot of money I agree, though both less than £400 and mine are varifocals.

For me it is money well spent.

Craftsman
    I got a prescription pair of Oakleys, expensive but very clear lenses, no "light bleed" from corners, virtually bomb proof and can have other lenses which just clip in and out. Use the on my motorbike too. Cheers, John B4

Master
    I cant remember what I paid for my prescription cycling sunglasses online (from spex4less probably), but it was no more than £150.

Master
    Look at https://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/ They come with interchangeable lenses and clip in frames that you get glazed with your own prescription.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Contact lenses plus any shades you like

Thanks all, some very good suggestions.

What model Oakley's were people going for?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Thanks all, some very good suggestions.

What model Oakley's were people going for?

I start by inputting my prescription to RXSport - it then shows which glasses will support that prescription - wanting varifocals and being fairly short sighted means a lot get excluded. I then pick from what is left!

As an aside varifocals are absolutely life changing - contact lenses and sunglasses are the “best” option until you need to read something … getting varifocal sunglasses means I’ve never worn contact lenses again.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    This ^^^ I have tried all sorts for cycling, running, sailing and skiing. But contact lenses and sunwise, Sungod, Serengeti’s and Oakleys are your best bet.

Just ordered some Oakley Plazmas from select specs, £137.

Obviously not with the Oakley prescription lenses (£415 with those) but hopefully will be okay for my needs and solve my problem!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yes me too on the contacts.

Regarding varifocal glasses as per the OP, I agree and use multifocal contact lenses which whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say they are perfect, in that to get the distance I want I have to sacrifice some short vision, work well and is what is what I have been using for the last five years or so.

Fortunately I'm not yet at the stage of needing varifocals, and have a pretty tame -1.0 prescription.

But no doubt I'll get there eventually!

Master
    I would suggest Oakley racing jackets. An older model but a really good sports sunglasses.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have had to stop wearing contacts as I've gotten older, so I started looking into prescription sports glasses. You can't have prescription done on most cycling glasses as they are too curvy. With those the only option are the inserts, which you might like or not. For me they have the issue of fogging in winter.

I went for a pair of Oakley Crosslink Fit glasses. They are not proper cycling glasses, but work well for that and for other sports I do (skiing, running) I got mine photochromic, so I can use them also when it's dark. For cycling in sunny conditions mine work best with a cap, as the peak gives a bit of extra shade when the glasses are not super dark.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I would suggest Oakley racing jackets. An older model but a really good sports sunglasses.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Apparently the Plazmas I've gone for are a homage to the RJs, you can even get white ones and be just like G!

Craftsman
    I would have suggested Rudy Project Rydon with prescription inserts.

The inserts are like a small pair of prescription glasses which sit behind the lenses. So you can change the lenses if they get scratched or if you get bored of them.
    So you can change pretty much anything once you have the frames without it being ridiculously expensive

Craftsman
    Optilabs seem fair.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I would have suggested Rudy Project Rydon with prescription inserts.

The inserts are like a small pair of prescription glasses which sit behind the lenses. So you can change the lenses if they get scratched or if you get bored of them.
    So you can change pretty much anything once you have the frames without it being ridiculously expensive
    I’ve had these Rudy Project Rydons for well over a decade now.
    My optician changed the prescription in the inserts for me following my last eye test.
    No problems and can recommend and a number of lenses for different conditions available for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys, some very interesting products I wasn't aware off

Craftsman
    Speccy four eyes here with serious -6 to 7 prescription, so basically navigate by smell when glasses are off.
    I have pumped serious money into riding glasses. Optilabs are very good, especially if you pay them a visit, which I have done a few times. Never disappointed and they have fixed any issues with no or very little payment. Last visit I even got a set of normal day to day glasses made up. However my latest better pair are Rad8 MTB glasses - which are perfect also for road. Why do I say this - well all the literature suggests they are an independent brand, only guess who actually glazes the lens. yes Optilabs. The beauty of Optilabs is that they actually do the work on site and clearly for other people too, so they are mega adaptable and on the case.

Craftsman
    I have gone down the insert route too, and although they give vision they fog up really badly (Yes tried Bob Heath spray, washing up liquid, spit) single pane glasses are really the way to go. Latest pair of Rad8 are even varifocal and they do work.

I have two pairs of Oakley Flak 2.0, one with clear single strength prescription lenses, the other with Prizm varifocal lenses. You have to specify their “Edge” lens (I think it is called, from memory).

Arrived today £137 all told.

Will try them out this week, but seem pretty good

Master
    There's 2 options here, one less perfect but cheaper than the other.
    The likes of Oakley and Bolle do wrapped shield type prescription pairs where the shield incorporates the the lens. This is great and as it's only one surface (well 2) optically it is preferable. Buut to have another lens colour choice you have to buy another rx shield which is £££, say 200-300 ish.
    The second is the insert type as pictured above. The rx goes into the insert so is cheap and easy to update and the no rx shields are also easy to change. Less ideal but perfectly practical for most.

I guess these Oakley's are a good compromise with 2 separate lenses so can accommodate the prescription easily.

Wore them for about 7 hours today (driving! not on the bike) and all good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Yes me too on the contacts.

Regarding varifocal glasses as per the OP, I agree and use multifocal contact lenses which whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say they are perfect, in that to get the distance I want I have to sacrifice some short vision, work well and is what is what I have been using for the last five years or so.
    If I need to see close up, like read anything, I'll ping out one of my contacts.Then you've got a long distance eye & a short distance eye. That's why chaps used to use a monocle back in the olden days.

Wore them for a sweaty 10k run on Sunday, pretty much stayed in place, skipped a bit on the bumpy bits. Got some kind shouts of "nice glasses mate' from some passers by. Think they were taking the pee a bit!

Did a short 1hr ride the day before and all good, so overall very happy.