closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are precious metal watches a rip off?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Precious metal watches are not a rip off and neither are any other luxury watches. In order to be ripped off you have to be forced in to paying an amount of money that you otherwise wouldn't. That doesn't apply to any luxury watch as at any point the buyer can walk away. Luxury watches aren't a necessity, they're a luxury (it's in the name) and therefore presumably anyone who buys one is happy to do so. Rip offs are the likes of garages where you're forced to pay an amount to have a car repaired or schools where your children are forced to pay for a multi item uniform that isn't really necessary.

in regard to precious metal watches vs steel or titanium, there are many factors that influence those prices. Some have been mentioned here, some haven't. Don't for instance think that if the traded price of platinum is less than that of gold that a platinum watch must therefore be less expensive. There's no guarantee for instance that the required bar of platinum for making a watch case is less expensive than the equivalent gold bar, even when the traded prices suggest that it should be. There's also a very limited number of places that will machine precious metal watch cases compared to steel cases. Apart from the difficulties in machining them there are also the necessary security implications.
    You've chosen a particular definition of the term. A quick Google search gives a different definition. Regardless of definitions, it's quite clear what the OP meant.

rip-off
    /ˈrɪpɒf/
    noun
    plural noun: rip-offs
    a fraud or swindle, especially something that is grossly overpriced.
    "designer label clothes are just expensive rip-offs"

Some thoughts below.

Spot price is an exceptionally good indicator of the cost of the material. Spot price plus a small % margin is exactly how precious metals are priced, if you and I can go out and buy gold/platinum in any desired quantity within a few percentage points of spot price, you can guarantee Rolex can manage it. So that argument makes little sense. The only variance to this would be taxes (i.e. gold bullion doesn't attract VAT and platinum/silver does), but I don't think this would be relevant here as those taxes don't apply in Switzerland and VAT would be charged on the sale price of any watch regardless of material.

When comparing Platinum to Gold specifically (as you mentioned it), there are factors to consider. Platinum is often purer (Rolex use 75% purity for Gold watches versus 95% purity for Platinum watches), which is a result of the metals individual properties (i.e. 95% gold would be far too malleable to use for a watch). Also Platinum is a much denser metal, so two watches of equal size made in Platinum and Gold will vary substantially in weight and purity, which means they can't be looked at in reference to spot price alone without factoring in those two elements to the equation. That said, even with all that, at recent spot prices Platinum is certainly being priced up more than Gold as it's perceived to be a better material and has long been marketed as the more expensive option by the industry, so the complete reversal of spot prices is largely being ignored when it comes to setting RRP.

One other point you touched on - I agree platinum is indeed a more difficult material to work with, this will add some cost as different tooling may be needed and certainly will wear out faster. Gold however is not harder than steel, so not the case with the OPs example.
    Last edited by M1011; 26th July 2022 at 01:01.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    not just TT. I have a solid gold Rolesor YM40
    Rolesor is steel and gold (of any colour) eg - steel and rose GMT, or Steel DJ with WG fluted bezel.

Your YM40 is Everose not Rolesor.

Clearly you pay a premium for Gold or Platinum, but arguing whether a Gold watch for double the price of a £10K steel watch is a 'rip-off' kind of seems to be missing the point.

All 'luxury' watches sell for far more than they cost to make, you just pay more for a more 'exclusive' watch.

Personally, I don't like gold on anything. The only gold watch I have is the one my parents bought me for my 21st - I keep it for that reason (it's a 'high-days and holidays' watch, rarely worn), but I'd never buy a gold watch - I've never seen one I think looks better in gold than steel.

Equally, I don't see the point of White Gold or Platinum watches as they look very like steel (I know they tend to be heavier, but I find steel watches heavy enough).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The cost of a watch doesn’t relate to the material it’s made of. As others have said it’s linked to prestige and exclusivity. The rare a watch costs more.
    what he says! +1

Are you guys stil trying to justify the prices of luxury goods? There si no science behind that. The market dictates the price. It is always going to be 'what people are ready to pay' + a bit to add to the exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Rolesor is steel and gold (of any colour) eg - steel and rose GMT, or Steel DJ with WG fluted bezel.

Exactly right.

(And as I said in post #27 too)

Once you add gold it becomes jewellery. Look at mark up on jewellery and compare it with what you might able to get back if you tried to resell it. At least you can get something back with precious metal watches.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Once you add gold it becomes jewellery. Look at mark up on jewellery and compare it with what you might able to get back if you tried to resell it. At least you can get something back with precious metal watches.
    Pretty sure you generally take less of a hit on selling a steel watch than a gold watch, all else being equal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    what he says! +1

Are you guys stil trying to justify the prices of luxury goods? There si no science behind that. The market dictates the price. It is always going to be 'what people are ready to pay' + a bit to add to the exclusivity.
    Absolutely correct. Whinging about being ripped off is pointless, it's like someone crying in their beer that they paid £250 for a ticket to attend some pop concert, they chose to stump up but they were not forced to go. If no one buys the products the price will come down but the simple truth is that there are only a few of these watches on the market with lots of people chasing after them, so it's obvious that prices will rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Absolutely correct. Whinging about being ripped off is pointless, it's like someone crying in their beer that they paid £250 for a ticket to attend some pop concert, they chose to stump up but they were not forced to go. If no one buys the products the price will come down but the simple truth is that there are only a few of these watches on the market with lots of people chasing after them, so it's obvious that prices will rise.
    The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question, I don't see anyone whining.
    Last edited by M1011; 30th July 2022 at 05:03.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question, I don't see anyone whining.
    Using the term "rip off" is a bit of a troll move and quite provoking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Using the term "rip off" is a bit of a troll move and quite provoking.
    It is our choice as to whether or not to react emotionally to what is otherwise a sound underlying question. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Exactly right.

(And as I said in post #27 too)
    ok. I got the message. My YM40 RG is Everose (not Roselor). However, the OP was asking about if gold watches are a “rip off” - my YM40 is solid (18k) gold with appropriate marks. Do I think it a rip off. No - no more than a steel watch from the same brand. Reasons have been given above.

Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It is our choice as to whether or not to react emotionally to what is otherwise a sound underlying question. ;-)
    True, sensei

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    a sound underlying question with the use of a provocative phrase. A less emotive phrase would surely have been 'overpriced' and it's actually a more reasonable phrase as well. The phrase 'rip-off' is entirely subjective, everyone will have their own opinion on the matter. The term over priced, given the correct information can be quite specific.

as I mentioned earlier in the thread, no one can be ripped off when purchasing a watch as they simply don't have to buy it. If someone feels that they are being charged too much for a watch then walk away. I do find it strange how many watch owners are unable to do that, hence the waiting lists for the likes of Rolex, AP, PP etc.