closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A good umbrella

Master

A good umbrella

I'm sick of umbrellas that break at the first gust of wind. I have a golf umbrella, so I'm looking for something a little more compact, that might just squeeze into a laptop bag or briefcase. I had a lovely chat with the chap in the Piccadilly Arcade at Swaine Adeney Brigg but that may be a little outside my preferred budget and preferred size. All other suggestion welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm sick of umbrellas that break at the first gust of wind. I have a golf umbrella, so I'm looking for something a little more compact, that might just squeeze into a laptop bag or briefcase. I had a lovely chat with the chap in the Piccadilly Arcade at Swaine Adeney Brigg but that may be a little outside my preferred budget and preferred size. All other suggestion welcome.
    If you’re in London try https://www.james-smith.co.uk/ it’s an amazing shop and has a massive range for most budgets. I got a decent smaller automatic umbrella which sounds like what you’re after, it was about £30-40 and high quality. Their service is good too.

Master
    I have two fox umbrellas and they are excellent. One is about 40 years of age and the other is about 20. They are bombproof.

www.foxumbrellas.com

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Fulton Tornado…… job done.

Compact, wind proof with a ‘self protecting’ mechanism that collapses the umbrella without damaging it, can be had for around £30.

Longest lasting brolly I’ve ever owned.

Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have two fox umbrellas and they are excellent. One is about 40 years of age and the other is about 20. They are bombproof.

www.foxumbrellas.com

This. I’ve got a couple and they are excellent.

https://davek.co.uk

I have a mini in my work bag, great little thing. Plus they come with a lifetime guarantee

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMW View Post

Compact, wind proof with a ‘self protecting’ mechanism that collapses the umbrella without damaging it, can be had for around £30.

Cheers
    Martin
    Seconded.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMW View Post

Cheers
    Martin
    Yep, agreed. I had 2 for 15yrs + never an issue. As a commuter in to London they mostly sat in my bag until needed at either end of the journey.

Let my kids borrow them during lockdown and a year later, they have been lost :)

I have two Fulton umbrellas, the Tornado and Chelsea. Both have the same push button mechanism and neither have failed me yet, even in the sometimes blustery weather we get down near the S. Coast.

Really like my London Undercover classic, i did break a spar in a torrential rainstorm a few months ago but that was a situation where any umbrella could have sustained damage.
    for anyone who is familiar with the new buildings at finsbury park tube you will know of the cock up they did with the venturi effect round the towers at the back exit and the winds it creates, i got past all the shops and edged my way along the side of the cinema crouched behind the brolly as i was sure i was going to be blown over, got right to the tube entrance and about 1m to go and pop the brolly went.
    it’s still usable and the good thing about London undercover is i can drop it off at the shop and they will fit a new spar for £20.

Master
    Love this place. Have been happy with my small commuting umbrella for the 1 time every 6 weeks I tend to now go to London.

Now I realise my umbrella is far too inferior to ever risk such a dangerous commute to Paddington again. Also donned in Arcteryx for the full protection of the elements as I board a fast train to Paddington!

Surprised no-one has mentioned a tactical umbrella.

https://unbreakableumbrella.com/unbr...opic-umbrella/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Surprised no-one has mentioned a tactical umbrella.

https://unbreakableumbrella.com/unbr...opic-umbrella/
    Cracking piece of kit, especially for a rainy, rolex on the wrist walk round London :)

Gotta go with Blunt.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    https://davek.co.uk

I have a mini in my work bag, great little thing. Plus they come with a lifetime guarantee
    Seconded. Great well put together bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

somebody i worked with when i started out who was several generations older than me and already way past retirement said that when he was a clerk just staring out all the young bucks would pull their umbrellas apart and refit the sleeve over the cane because it was all about how rapier thin your umbrella was as you strolled in past the typing pool.
    They couldn’t afford a fine slimline umbrella so this was the only way to get the look, they would all get caught out eventually stood there drenched waiting for a bus with their burton suit collar turned up clutching an unopened umbrella.

Master
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'm split between the Fulton and the Davek but with a Fox somewhere in my future

I have both a folding umbrella and a full-size one from London Undercover and they are very good. Haven't tried their fully automatic one, though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by thechatteringclasses View Post
    Gotta go with Blunt.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Seconded, I’ve got 3 of them and they feel indestructible https://bluntumbrellas.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    Seconded. Great well put together bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thirded.
    I’ve had a Mini for years, which I frequently slip in the smallest bag when rain is not very likely or I’m travelling extremely light. It’s saved my bacon frequently.
    More recently I got a Traveller, which I find great when I need greater coverage.
    Both look and work exactly as new.

Craftsman
    https://www.senz.com/ Looks a bit funky but certainly works like a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This.
    I bought one for a first date, an online dating thing. We'd planned a walk on the beach at Sandbanks in Poole. It turned out to be a good decision, I married her.
    That was twenty years ago in February, the umbrella is still going strong.

https://www.thecanope.com/

The 'hands-free' solution. It used to be called the Nubrella.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    https://www.thecanope.com/

The 'hands-free' solution.
    It may well be very practical but I am not sure many people can make that look work for them.
    Could be good for kite surfing in high winds...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.