timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWC Mark XX

Looks very nice!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
    Looks very nice!
    Seconded. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Master
    Looks really nice! I finally saw one in the metal at an AD a few weeks ago. As a former Mark XVIII owner, I really like it, they did just enough with the dial to fix the issues with the previous design, and of course the in-house movement changes the proposition considerably over the old Sellita-derived one. It's an all-round better watch in every department.

I wish they'd gone to 41mm though, or even 42mm. I sold on my Mark XVIII Petit Prince, as once the initial joy wore off, 40mm felt too small, and I'm not sure the XX dial changes that aspect, as the case is the same size as the XVIII. Presumably there's a 36mm version of the XX either out or on the way, as they did with the XVIII, for the smaller wrist, so they could have gone bigger with the full-size watch. Mind you that might cut into BP43 sales ... I had to go to one of those to get the heft I was looking for. (And no date - much cleaner).

The Mark XVIII-derived bracelet on the XX (and on BP43 which is close to identical, just wider) has to be one of the best bracelets around, at any price - flexible, comfortable and micro-adjustable. I tend to wear mine on leather most of the time as the bracelet on the blue dial BP43 has alternate polishing/brushing on the links which is a bit bling for daily wear, though it's a dramatic change of look when you want it. Black dial BP43 (and XX) are a lot more restrained and 'daily' from a bracelet perspective.

I'm over the moon with the easy-xchange system, now also on the XX, but I do wish they'd either make a few more flavours of 21mm strap available for the BP43, or license someone else to make some. Though it does rather seem there are already a few more 20mm straps available for the XX than there are for the BP43 - this will be a much bigger seller I suspect, and come in many more flavours. Lucky owners.

Only one small niggle is no option to return Mark XV-style baton hands. The XV is my favourite-looking IWC, though I never owned one even way back, as when I tried one on it was far too small for me. Maybe they'll make a 'Tribute'-style version of the XX at some stage.

Interesting about the low-key launch - if you can call it a launch - suggests more of a bug-fix or facelift approach than a new model with all the usual fanfare, which is probably a bit unfair to the watch as the changes taken in the round are substantial. But who can fathom the mind of the marketing department?
    Last edited by kk; 7th October 2022 at 12:00.

After much dithering over the dial colour, I went with the green. Really enjoying it - it can be a nice and subtle dark racing green or a bright emerald depending on the light.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Does look great. Baton hands and 36mm would be needed for me as otherwise too similar to my TZC.

Master
    I appreciate it’s a new release but has anyone achieved any discounts on one of these yet?

The green dialled version is boutique only so no discounts but extra straps are possible. I think the black and blue models are still a bit tricky to find, especially on the bracelet so discounts might be hard to achieve unless you already know the dealer. I do recommend the watch though. Whilst the date could still do with being a little further from the centre of the dial, the rest of the watch is spot on. It's thin and the bracelet really is superb. Sits really well on the wrist with the new, shorter lugs too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    The green dialled version is boutique only so no discounts but extra straps are possible. I think the black and blue models are still a bit tricky to find, especially on the bracelet so discounts might be hard to achieve unless you already know the dealer. I do recommend the watch though. Whilst the date could still do with being a little further from the centre of the dial, the rest of the watch is spot on. It's thin and the bracelet really is superb. Sits really well on the wrist with the new, shorter lugs too.

Looks lovely. The mk18 is still the closest I have come to a perfect watch. Enjoy the 20.

Master

Thanks for the reply, that looks great. Really drawn to these. Only thing I’m not keen on is the polished parts on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Only thing I’m not keen on is the polished parts on the bracelet.
    It is the £5k+ price tag I am less keen on

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Thanks for the reply, that looks great. Really drawn to these. Only thing I’m not keen on is the polished parts on the bracelet.
    Cheers. I really like it - the size and fit work really well for me. I'd prefer a fully brushed bracelet too (I generally prefer my watches to be low key with as little bling as possible) but I'm willing to give this one a pass - it's one of the best bracelets I've tried. Just let me know if you need any more info or photos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It is the £5k+ price tag I am less keen on
    Out of interest why do you think that is too expensive given what the watch offers?

Master
    Cheers. I really like it - the size and fit work really well for me. I'd prefer a fully brushed bracelet too (I generally prefer my watches to be low key with as little bling as possible) but I'm willing to give this one a pass - it's one of the best bracelets I've tried. Just let me know if you need any more info or photos.
    Thanks. A few photos of the bracelet from the 6 o’clock of the watch when on the wrist and the clasp would be greatly appreciated. I’m hearing the leather straps aren’t that great also as I was thinking that could be an option.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. A few photos of the bracelet from the 6 o’clock of the watch when on the wrist and the clasp would be greatly appreciated. I’m hearing the leather straps aren’t that great also as I was thinking that could be an option.

Thanks again.

Here you go - my wrist is 17cm for reference. The clasp is really nice and slim even though it contains the button operated micro adjust mechanism.

And here are the strap photos. I have the brown leather and black rubber.

I actually really like the straps. The rubber is great quality and fantastically comfortable. The only issue is the cost. I'd definitely recommend adding the black rubber or navy blue rubber if you go for the black or blue dialled models - see if the dealer will throw one in. Given the 100m WR, it makes the watch pretty versatile.

Contrary to other views online, I think the leather strap is really nice too. It's a good quality, oily leather. The strap is quite thin at the tail end as you can see in the photos. Personally, I don't think that means it's not good quality - it makes for a comfortable, elegant strap. The stitching is really nice too. I read on another forum (WUS I think?) that someone had damaged the lug end of the strap when unclipping it. IMO you can completely disregard that feedback - the strap is never in contact with the watch case when you move it up and down so I don't see how any abrasion could happen. And there's no need for it to touch the case upon removal either - you just depress the button and move it away from the case.

One final point on IWC customer service - the end of one of the keepers on the textile strap I bought for my chrono came away from the strap. When I reported that to IWC, they send me a new one FOC.

Craftsman
    Here you go - my wrist is 17cm for reference. The clasp is really nice and slim even though it contains the button operated micro adjust mechanism.

Looks a quality bracelet

Master
    Many thanks for that TH.

The bracelet does look excellent and the polished bits not as bad as I thought - I suppose there still is the option of having them brushed. (I’m sure someone on here does them)

I’d read the same re the leather strap catching on removal and suspected it could be clumsiness/ user error, so thanks for also clearing that up.

I’ve been looking at the black dial or the Spitfire 3 hander and am struggling to decide. Looking at your green dial certainly doesn’t help!

Just put mine onto the rubber strap, which provides the additional versatility.
    Good fit and comfortable to wear.
    And NO lug scratches :-)

Though personally, I think the leather straps are not the best quality, quite thin, especially when you compare it to a Hirsch strap and that the strap costs £240.00