closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much is 'everything' worth?

Master

How much is 'everything' worth?

I am seriously considering selling my safe queen. To prove (forlorn hope lol) that this is not a 'ghost' sales post I'm not going to say exactly what make/model it is.
    I've had it 22 years, from new, and I've got absolutely everything associated with the watch, even the dealer carrier bag that came with it!
    My question: is there such a thing as more than a 'full set' and if so does it add value?

no unless you have something extra that it did not have when you bought it

but myself i see a true full set as one that has the original sales receipt with the price on it

Master
    I personally don’t think there is more than a full set, others may disagree. NOS condition always helps but as long as something isn’t battered or overly polished I don’t see much of a premium if you are going to wear it.

I have never bought a watch to put away as an investment so may be way off, but things like the original bag or stickers are ridiculous to me.

GLWTS

I bought my best watches when you took it out of the box then threw the box in the bin. Who knew.

Master
    Yes I think so. I don't think it matters to me enough to pay extra for but some will value stuff around the watch. I'd think things that paint a broader picture of the time the watch is from (particularly if the watch is associated with an iconic time eg the moon watch), print a picture of an iconic wearer or use ( any Steve McQueen links to go with a Daytona for example), or the life of the watch in the hands of the first owner (a dive log or flight log, particularly if military issue watch/diver/pilot). Even stuff that just tells a story of the day the watch was bought like the receipt, a catalogue or advert from the time, the stamped bus ticket from the return home from the AD..... Maybe not the last one!

They won't add value or interest in the same way for all buyers but there's something there for some buyers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, imo on a 22 year old watch additionals like bags etc dont add value.

On a 50 year old sub/explorer thats been documented around the world, different story as we get into tool watch "provenance" territory.

Yes definitely!

Examples include issued watches to the military, if it's been somewhere interesting like the top of Everest and possessions of famous individuals. Proof of these examples is over and above a normal "full-set" and adds value to the right person.

[QUOTE=Ghost Chilli;6032021]I personally don’t think there is more than a full set, others may disagree. NOS condition always helps but as long as something isn’t battered or overly polished I don’t see much of a premium if you are going to wear it.

I have never bought a watch to put away as an investment so may be way off, but things like the original bag or stickers are ridiculous to me.]

Agreed. Also I've personally never understood the allure of NOS. I wouldn't buy a watch purely to tuck it away, and if its not to tuck it away its no longer NOS as soon as you wear it. What's the point?

Master
    Ok, obviously if there is provenance from a famous person or the military.

But a bag or bus ticket? I don’t get it. Obviously some do though.

I got offered a watch from a want to buy and the seller stated it was absolutely pristine (long discontinued watch) and how much was I willing to pay. Er, maybe slightly over the market rate but I intend to wear it so would not pay a heavy premium. I suppose investors or maybe collectors would.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Yes definitely!

Examples include issued watches to the military, if it's been somewhere interesting like the top of Everest and possessions of famous individuals. Proof of these examples is over and above a normal "full-set" and adds value to the right person.
    agree
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Ok, obviously if there is provenance from a famous person or the military.

But a bag or bus ticket? I don’t get it. Obviously some do though.

I got offered a watch from a want to buy and the seller stated it was absolutely pristine (long discontinued watch) and how much was I willing to pay. Er, maybe slightly over the market rate but I intend to wear it so would not pay a heavy premium. I suppose investors or maybe collectors would.
    I think age has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't care if you had a bus ticket to buy any watch purchased in 2022... but if it was a nice Longines pocket watch, with its "full set" and a tram ticket from 1901, I think it's interesting that its owner(s) carefully kept the pair together for over a century. As I'm sure, the attitude of most people hasn't changed much in that time, and provenance was probably just as commonly disregarded.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    I bought my best watches when you took it out of the box then threw the box in the bin. Who knew.
    Evidently Harry knew. Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Agreed. Also I've personally never understood the allure of NOS. I wouldn't buy a watch purely to tuck it away, and if its not to tuck it away its no longer NOS as soon as you wear it. What's the point?
    Putting aside collectors who may well keep it NOS, presumably the point to the rest of us is the same rational for buying a watch new at the AD for more than you can pick it up for second hand? You're paying a premium to be the first to wear and put marks on that watch. Folk do it every day in shops, not sure why it'd be any different here.

Maybe a hard copy of a magazine that features your model watch or an in depth review.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Maybe a hard copy of a magazine that features your model watch or an in depth review.
    My blood runs cold
    My memory has just been sold
    My timepiece is a centrefold

As you have not been roasted are you going to spill the beans?

My money is on Sub or Sea Dweller.
    Last edited by petay993; 21st July 2022 at 21:30.

Craftsman
    Lololllo

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Whip it out

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I am seriously considering selling my safe queen. To prove (forlorn hope lol) that this is not a 'ghost' sales post I'm not going to say exactly what make/model it is.
    I've had it 22 years, from new, and I've got absolutely everything associated with the watch, even the dealer carrier bag that came with it!
    My question: is there such a thing as more than a 'full set' and if so does it add value?
    You've owned it for 22 years ... a recent full service invoice / receipt from a reputable watchmaker / service agency would be the 'more' which could clinch the sale.

BW, dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Lots of interesting and contrasting views.
    The watch had a manfacturers service in 2014 so not due till 2024 btw.
    I'm still unsure whether to sell or keep as it only comes out on special occasions.
    I confess to being a bit 'anal' about provenance on cars, motorbikes and all my toys and I do like to buy things with some history where possible.
    But I have followed the adage of 'buying the seller' as well, thankfully not to my detriment so far.