closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lionesses

Lionesses

So before the actual post, please go to the bear pit if you want to talk about

1. Lesbians
    2. Goals being too big
    3. Rubbish goalies
    4. Under 16s boys could beat them

If you watched it tonight, saw them get the proper run a round from a brilliant Spanish team, but loved the grit they showed to find a way, then read on!

Well done the Lionesses, what a fantastic story for women's footie in this country!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I saw the second half and extra time. I was impressed, I enjoyed it and I reached the stage where I was watching a football match, the gender thing became insignificant.

Women's football is more about actually playing football than all the play-acting that goes on in the men's game. It's much "purer" and more enjoyable, specially at this level.

Master
    Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Our girls had to really dig deep and showed great resilience. Spain played a great game and made it very tough indeed.

Master
    Great game with some really good technical ability on show. What Spain were thinking leaving the #14 on the bench for so long is beyond me.

Master
    Got to see the second half and extra time as well. Throughly enjoyed it, grit and determination all the way (Spain played a great game). Looking forward to watching the semi finals.

Not really a football fan and the trouncing they gave teams in the qualifying round did indicate the standard is still very mixed, but I have to say that winning goal looked a cracker when I saw it on the news this morning.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Women's football is more about actually playing football than all the play-acting that goes on in the men's game. It's much "purer" and more enjoyable, specially at this level.
    and watching it is far more enjoyable in the absence of the toxic masculinity elements that pollute the mens game (both playing and watching)

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Agreed🙂

Well, that was entertaining. Great save, cheeky goal, enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    Cracking result tonight & a couple of excellent goals.

I’m really enjoying this tournament !

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really hope they go and win, some superb goals tonight

Third goal was a bit cheeky!

Master
    Some quality football in the 2nd half across the team, excellent stuff and blew them away.

Brilliant second half. Sweden love lobbing in those corners, did well to stand up to that in the first half.

A truly filthy back heel!

I’ve loved this tournament and tonight was brilliant. Russo and Toone are the future of this team and for now they’re ‘game-changers’ in Wiegman’s plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Third goal was a bit cheeky!

Master
    What they have all achieved is fantastic. I’m really looking forward to seeing the final on Sunday.
    The way they played again tonight, once they were through their early jitters, is good enough to beat France or Germany.

That was exciting!
    Anybody beating Germany at anything is alright with me, but football - well done girls!!

Great match. Lol @ "apologies to any lip readers...."

Blog Entries
    About time we won something & especially to beat Germany in the Final - A well deserved victory !

z

Finally, it's come home.

Wife and kids are there. Must be unbelievable.

Could teach the men's team about determination and quality of play all day long. A credit to England.

Master
    Wow what a team. Well done the LIONESSES!

I’m welling up watching it. Fantastic achievement and well done to the team.

Fantastic result!! Very proud of the Lionesses!

That referee needs to go back to school, she was inconsistent and had very poor judgement!

So proud of them, they were amazing! To all our daughters, this is what can happen when you believe and work hard at your football. Absolutely amazing. First time I’ve seen England win anything in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So proud of them, they were amazing! To all our daughters, this is what can happen when you believe and work hard at your football. Absolutely amazing. First time I’ve seen England win anything in my lifetime.
    You must be younger than you look. 2003 it was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    You must be younger than you look. 2003 it was.
    Plus 2019, cricket world cup.

Well done to the team. The 1st goal would grace any match in any league - cracking finish

Brilliant result, congrats to England.

I've been in the ladies game for a while, my claim to fame now is that I coached / was the head coach of the only N.Ireland player to score at the Euros' against the winners in 2022.

Also, amazing to see all the families enjoying the games, that's the way it should be.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Excellent. I'm no football fan....womens game is so much better. I'm a convert. Well done England, well deserved.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Great match. Lol @ "apologies to any lip readers...."
    I lip-read it too and it was fair comment, she was bloody cross about being kicked and tripped!

Very well done ladies!!!

Great result, well done to the Lionesses!

Master
    I watched every match bloody brilliant well done.

That was just pure joy and a real lump in my throat watching the young fans at all the England games.
    Alex Scott and Ian Wright’s comments at the end of the game about a proper legacy going forward was so spot on. I hope this is woman’s football moment equivalent to what Gazza’s tears at Italia90 was to the Premiere League.

As a father to a daughter I was ecstatic with this victory and explained the significance to my 10year old that the girls had finally done what the boys hadn’t managed since before even I was born!

What I learned from today is that compared to men's matches the fans behave much better but the players arguably worse! Lots of aggro on the pitch at times and some frankly awful tackles on both sides.

The young German lass who was their midfield enforcer reminded me of Vinnie Jones at times with some of her foul play.

The spirit and togetherness of the England side was clear to see however.

Master
    A well deserved victory, they never gave up in any match and achieved a fantastic result.
    And a shout out to Sarina Wiegman, what she has achieved with the England team in ten or so months and with the Netherlands team previously is superb, what a manager, what a team.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic result, real competition there's no doubt about it.

I hope they get the recognition deserve and everybody can shut up about footballs coming home for the world cup - it's home, move on.

Do they have the offside rule in women's football?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Do they have the offside rule in women's football?
    To be fair, nobody understands it, regardless of gender

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The young German lass who was their midfield enforcer reminded me of Vinnie Jones at times with some of her foul play.
    Oberdorf. I was amazed she was named UEFA Young Player of the Tournament, with that sort of behaviour. Sends totally the wrong message to younger players.

That result deserves a tenuous watch-based tribute. Although annoyingly I missed the final because I had it down at the wrong time in my planning for the day yesterday…

I saw a few of the games up to this one and thought they were great. Shame it sounds like there was a bit too much anti-football in the final. I thought up to that point that one way the women’s game was a lot better than the men’s was because there wasn’t that rough edge to it and the teams had more respect for the referee as they do in other sports (rugby and hockey come to mind). Male professional footballers (and society more broadly) could learn a lot from that.

Anyway - well done. It’s home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the TV highlights for me and nicest surprises was not having to put up with Clare Balding every game.

I can’t bear football - has always bored me rigid tbh, I haven’t watched more than 10 minutes of a game in 30 years before I find something better to do. Ironic they used to call me girly at school for not liking football - it turns out the girls were better at it all along!!
    Whilst it’s no doubt nice to win a tournament, does this now mean there will be twice as much of the darned game on the telly for me to avoid?? Bah humbug etc!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I can’t bear football - has always bored me rigid tbh, I haven’t watched more than 10 minutes of a game in 30 years before I find something better to do. Ironic they used to call me girly at school for not liking football - it turns out the girls were better at it all along!!
    Not better, just easier opponents sometimes. They won a couple of games 8-0 and 5-0 IIRC you wouldn't get that in the Men's Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Whilst it’s no doubt nice to win a tournament, does this now mean there will be twice as much of the darned game on the telly for me to avoid?? Bah humbug etc!!

Don't worry about it.

Once the furore has dies down Women's football will die back again too.

I'd like to be wrong but that's what I guess will happen.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Epic, they smashed it

They also beat Spain who are the best possession based team in Europe, Sweden who are ranked 2nd in the world and 1st in the tournament and Germany who are 8 times Euro winners and whose domestic game is 20+ years ahead of ours.

There's no way the women's game is going anywhere but up now. I predict bigger crowds at WSL and regional league games which in-turn will lead to more sponsorship. There will also be more WSL on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not better, just easier opponents sometimes. They won a couple of games 8-0 and 5-0 IIRC you wouldn't get that in the Men's Euros.

Don't worry about it.

Once the furore has dies down Women's football will die back again too.

I'd like to be wrong but that's what I guess will happen.

I hope women's football grows in the UK grows faster now, it's a damn sight more entertaining than WNBA!

I'm sure the WSL and the Lionesses will be in rude health for the next few years off the back of this. Sold out Wembley in a few hours for the USA friendly in October in just a few hours, so signs are very positive.

I also hope this helps to further progresses the acceptance of women's sport at local grassroots level, and not just football, as there is still a huge issue around this.

I'm sure many on here have seen it with their own daughters and their friends, the drop out rate from sport as girls get older, and then the rarity of women's teams at a local amateur, for fun, level.

Hopefully this starts to change, so our daughters generation can get the same benefits and experiences us blokes have had as they take their sport into adult life.

Last edited by xxnick1975; 5th August 2022 at 10:51.