closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Choosing Next Car - Family Estate/SUV

Choosing Next Car - Family Estate/SUV

As the Golf R Estate is dead and has gone back to the supplying dealer I need a new car pretty sharpish.

Must be an estate or "family sized" , doesn't need to be diesel. Budget about £20k. Could finance through the business if that's a better way to do it.

Here are a few of the many things I've looked at over the last week but would love other suggestions on cars and finance (can pay cash as that's what I've always done but happy to be educated)

A6 Avant
    Leon ST Cupra 280
    XF Sportbreak
    Octy VRS (had too many of them)
    335d Xdrive
    F-Pace?
    X3?

This looks ok if not slightly over budget (free servicing offsets some of that)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2207077546491?

Would like upgraded sound but has everythign else? Apart from it's white

Or this ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2205135673209?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2207077554564?

I'm also annoyed about the number of poverty spec cars...no heated seats?? pan roofs are rare...tiny wheels!
    Last edited by njr911; 20th July 2022 at 15:36.

I think delete the links as it shows your postcode.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I think delete the links as it shows your postcode.
    Yep, anything after a question mark in a link isn't needed when sharing URLs

I always delete the question mark and everything after it.

Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, anything after a question mark in a link isn't needed when sharing URLs

I always delete the question mark and everything after it.
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn’t know that. I would have put the postcode for Buckingham Palace or something.

I don't know if this would be large enough for you. It's certainly loaded with features.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-car.../arngj-u-28684
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I don't know if this would be large enough for you. It's certainly loaded with features.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-car.../arngj-u-28684
    Thanks for the suggestion, don't really know anything about Infinity

Mazda 6 Estate?

Peugeot 508SW?

Something by Volvo (maybe not much fun to drive, but lovely places to be).

Can't comment on SUVs, I hate them.

M

PS What happened to the Golf? I have one, so interested if it was a fault...
    Last edited by snowman; 20th July 2022 at 16:04.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    As the Golf R Estate is dead and has gone back to the supplying dealer I need a new car pretty sharpish.

Must be an estate or "family sized" , doesn't need to be diesel. Budget about £20k. Could finance through the business if that's a better way to do it.

Here are a few of the many things I've looked at over the last week but would love other suggestions on cars and finance (can pay cash as that's what I've always done but happy to be educated)

A6 Avant
    Leon ST Cupra 280
    XF Sportbreak
    Octy VRS (had too many of them)
    335d Xdrive
    F-Pace?
    X3?

This looks ok if not slightly over budget (free servicing offsets some of that)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2207077546491?

Would like upgraded sound but has everythign else? Apart from it's white

Or this ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2205135673209?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2207077554564?

I'm also annoyed about the number of poverty spec cars...no heated seats?? pan roofs are rare...tiny wheels!
    Skoda super - sportline plus or L&K spec - would imagine either spec would have more toys than anything listed, more space and are a pretty good place to do some miles. I have the Hatch in L&K spec, very nice place to be and so many gadgets that I still don't know what they all do!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mazda 6 Estate?

Peugeot 508SW?

Something by Volvo (maybe not much fun to drive, but lovely places to be).

Can't comment on SUVs, I hate them.

M

PS What happened to the Golf? I have one, so interested if it was a fault...
    Not sure about Pugs or Mazdas, I'm a bit of a badge snob ;)

The Golf R let me down a few times with a duff battery and then a fuel pump. As it was in it's first 3 months Cinch took it back as breaking down every month of ownership is a bit excessive :)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Skoda super - sportline plus or L&K spec - would imagine either spec would have more toys than anything listed, more space and are a pretty good place to do some miles. I have the Hatch in L&K spec, very nice place to be and so many gadgets that I still don't know what they all do!
    I love Skodas but I think I've had 7 over the years, at least 3 VRS octys, VRS Fabia, L&K Octy and Yeti so feel I should try something else

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    I'd second this. I have a Superb estate. I bought it to replace a...Superb estate. The only time in 30 years that I've replaced a car with the same. You get a lot of kit for the money.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I love Skodas but I think I've had 7 over the years, at least 3 VRS octys, VRS Fabia, L&K Octy and Yeti so feel I should try something else
    Was typing at the same time as you...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Amazing how badge snobbery changes over time. No to Peugeot and Mazda, but had 7 Skodas!

I'd have a look at a 508 just to be different

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Amazing how badge snobbery changes over time. No to Peugeot and Mazda, but had 7 Skodas!

I'd have a look at a 508 just to be different

I know :) But I just assume Skodas are VAG and therefore same as the VW at a 20% discount

Master
    I know :) But I just assume Skodas are VAG and therefore same as the VW at a 20% discount
    In that case Peugeot are part of Stellantis & you’re really driving a Alfa Romeo or Maserati

Audi SQ5, great all-rounder

Badge snobbery is very odd sometimes. A colleague had a Kia Sportage, which her husband chose over a Volvo XC60 ‘as it’s a much better brand’ - Just looking at her Kia parked alongside my XC60 made her realise he doesn’t really know much about cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those X3’s look really dated compared to others like the Volvo or even the A4 Avant with Digi cockpit.

Master
    Volvo V90?

Master
    Would have suggested a C5 Aircross but the badge snob rules it out.

Master
    CLA45AMG Shooting Brake. If you go higher mileage you might get one close to your budget.

Craftsman
    Subaru Legacy.

Utterly dependable and beyond class like a Golf or an old Defender.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd love a Subaru but the fuel!

Mazda CX5, superb SUV, great to drive and dependable. I am a bit of a BMW fan-boy but for £20k this would take some beating. Plus if you don’t want poverty spec you can get Bose, leather and all the goodies on the top spec cars. I have owned several Mazdas, BMW’s, Audi’s, Toyota’s, Honda’s, Porsche’s, Renaults, Mitsubishi and Hyundai; but I would err towards all the Jap brands by a country mile. I might go back to European cars if brand new and in warranty only.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't go for an old Jag when for similar money you could have a spacious, comfortable and reliable hybrid a couple of years old - I've got one of these and it's great. I get 47-51mpg and it drives like an electric car with instant torque (it's not a sports car but plenty quick enough for everyday driving).

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...2206136729581?

Craftsman
    There is a good reason for this , for £20k they are probably the best all round car on the market, the petrol VRS Octy estate is the sweet spot imo , fantastic cars

Ive owned pretty similar 3x Fabia VRS, 2xOctavia VRS and 1x Superb Elegance

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Mazda CX5, superb SUV, great to drive and dependable. I am a bit of a BMW fan-boy but for £20k this would take some beating. Plus if you don’t want poverty spec you can get Bose, leather and all the goodies on the top spec cars. I have owned several Mazdas, BMW’s, Audi’s, Toyota’s, Honda’s, Porsche’s, Renaults, Mitsubishi and Hyundai; but I would err towards all the Jap brands by a country mile. I might go back to European cars if brand new and in warranty only.
    This all day long...ran BMW when my company car's but mainly Mazda when my own money...in fact just traded in a Mazda for a Golf and honestly the Mazda is a better car and probably more reliable.

Thanks all - some great suggestions which I'd not have thought of.

My loan car is a brand new Nissan Quashqui which is all the car anyone would ever need...but lacks a bit of soul.

Food for thought

After years of asking for an SUV we got the wife this Kia Sportage GT Line in May

We nearly went for an Evoke but the reliability reputation put us off & the Volvo XC40, but it was very dull to drive.

Now the Kia is hardly a sports car, but it does steer & handle pretty well & with the tuning box I fitted it goes well enough too. It's got good equipment levels, seems well screwed together (the 7 year warranty is a plus). It's very roomy.

I would have rather we'd got an estate and maybe that's what she'll go for next.

Worthy of consideration at least.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Interesting variety of cars. Some that couldn't survive NA and pulled out.

No mention of Toyota or Honda

Toyota Rav4 comes in under your price for a base model. Too pricy for me in Canada with the added 13% tax

DON

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Badge snobbery is very odd sometimes. A colleague had a Kia Sportage, which her husband chose over a Volvo XC60 ‘as it’s a much better brand’ - Just looking at her Kia parked alongside my XC60 made her realise he doesn’t really know much about cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nothing wrong with Kia

Comparison to Volvo XC60

I’m biased as after lots of research I’ve ended up with a Kia Nero HEV (7 yr warranty the S Koreans must be doing something right), getting 60mpg and almost auto driving in cruise with driver assist and lane following - no foot pedals at all in stop start traffic and stays safe distance from car in front with radar is my favourite feature.

It looks boring but has loads of room in front with fully adjustable seats and steering wheel and back has plenty room too - we can load in 2 bales of straw with the back seats down.

This is mine:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st July 2022 at 18:17.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Must admit I'd be going Jap if being sensible (I found the Golf R estate rather meh over 23k miles, only liked it on French roads) but if not being too sensible and similar size to an Octy, a for me perfect spec nippy, 5 series SE but with those seats (I miss our saloon as the family car): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...z-compliant=on

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Must admit I'd be going Jap if being sensible (I found the Golf R estate rather meh over 23k miles, only liked it on French roads) but if not being too sensible and similar size to an Octy, a for me perfect spec nippy, 5 series SE but with those seats (I miss our saloon as the family car): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...z-compliant=on
    That awesome! Got everything bar a posh stereo. Tempted by that

That awesome! Got everything bar a posh stereo. Tempted by that
    They face lifted in late 2017 / 2018, much nicer interior IMO.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02112070306609

Or the 530i - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02206287247667
    Last edited by dougair; 21st July 2022 at 21:43.

That's still the opposite of badge snobbery though :)

Master
    I’ve got a Volvo v90 as a loan car while the xc60 is being serviced it’s massive and is very nice you may get an early one for 20k

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    …I get 47-51mpg and it drives like an electric car with instant torque…
    I am thinking of buying a CRV (next year possibly) and the MPG is usually listed 38~ to 40~ for 2.0 petrol hybrid. I would have expectation that it is lower in reality, rather higher.

Sorry OP. I may need to start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

I'd searched 40k miles and under as sounded like keeping for a while so missed these newer leggier ones, weirdly I still prefer the pre-facelift interior but could be just those photos as not been in one of the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    the Volvo XC40, but it was very dull to drive.
    Which engine did you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Which engine did you drive?
    T4 diesel, but it was mainly the overly light steering that irked.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

Sorry to be pedantic but the first 5 series linked is a facelifted or "LCI" version of F11 5 series touring - both the ones you have linked above are actually the next gen 5 series G11 (F10/G10 is the saloon, F11/G11 is the touring), which were launched in 2017. During a BMW model's evolution - the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) is launched as a facelift + minor updates to the current generation approximately halfway through that model's life.

I did say I was being pedantic, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic but the first 5 series linked is a facelifted or "LCI" version of F11 5 series touring - both the ones you have linked above are actually the next gen 5 series G11 (F10/G10 is the saloon, F11/G11 is the touring), which were launched in 2017. During a BMW model's evolution - the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) is launched as a facelift + minor updates to the current generation approximately halfway through that model's life.

I did say I was being pedantic, sorry.
    You’re right, my clumsy terminology, they are the next generation as you say. Which I prefer personally. I like the new interior and dash. A lot of car for £22/23k.

Master
    Lexus RX450h decent mpg, comfy, badge and very reliable.

If you can get over the badge kia or Hyundai are amazing vfm are relentlessly reliable and in the rare case where something does break the warranty is excellent
    A sportage or Tucson are right in your strike zone.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Lexus RX450h decent mpg, comfy, badge and very reliable.

If you can get over the badge kia or Hyundai are amazing vfm are relentlessly reliable and in the rare case where something does break the warranty is excellent
    A sportage or Tucson are right in your strike zone.
    Colleague had a Kia in the earlier days and the service charges (to keep the warranty) were extortionate, is that still the case?

Master
    Colleague had a Kia in the earlier days and the service charges (to keep the warranty) were extortionate, is that still the case?
    Just seen this. Not particularly although for both the Hyundai and Kia we had a service / mot plan which was about £30 a month… the only extra we spent was tyres and brake pads.

With our first kia we had it serviced by an independent using group on vouchers and when we needed to use the warranty they didn’t even blink. That was wolverton kia in Milton Keynes which are probably the best main dealer experience I’ve had, maybe matched by Lexus but that was spendy.