closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serica

Serica

Just ordered one of these , anyone else got one? Wouldn't mind seeing pics on leather

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

There's been one through SC recently, so there's at least one on here. I quite fancy the look of them.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I really liked mine but the screw down crown on a mechanical is what annoyed me.

Non screw down and I'd have kept it. Or a screw down with auto.

If that doesn't bother you then I highly recommend one

Apprentice
    I have a 4512 Cali dial, normal crown. The Bonklip bracelet is very comfortable, so much so that I've never swapped straps so you won't get a pic on leather out of me :). The watch keeps very good time, very readable (although the lume is terrible). Sturdy, easy to wind (once you unscrew the crown of course). I really like the simple aesthetics and I can relax wearing it — it's all brushed, sapphire crystal, etc. I did list it for sale a while ago, had no interest and I'm glad it stayed with me. I wear it a lot in the summer.

You'll find a few pics on my Instagram eg: https://www.instagram.com/p/CX1nS9VDdM3/

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I really liked mine but the screw down crown on a mechanical is what annoyed me.

Non screw down and I'd have kept it. Or a screw down with auto.

If that doesn't bother you then I highly recommend one

I didn't realise that, would been a deal breaker for me also. Unnecessary wear and tear on the crown/tube threads would have me wincing every time I wound it.

That aside I really like these watches, although not the Cali dial at the top there, I really dislike Cali dials.

Was close for me, the Commando and Cali, but just wanted something different

Apprentice
    Love my Commando dial Serica - very versatile and works well on leather, fabric or bracelet. The manual wind/screw down crown hasn't been an issue for me at all.

Great pics, I'll certainly be getting a good leather

The guy who was involved in Serica who made the Bonklip also makes this

.https://www.josephbonnie.com/fr/prod...cordovan-noir/

Last edited by Daveya.; 20th July 2022 at 09:02.

Master
    I've come close to buying a Serica a few times. I owned the bonklip, which was really well made and super comfortable . I only sold it because I no longer had a watch that it would fit. I like the looks of the Serica in general, and it appears to be a well made watch. I like cali dials but their version wouldn't be my favourite interpretation. The additional dots and markers don't lend to a harmonious design IMHO. I decided against buying one in the end due to the screw down crown and the fact that I already had a very similar style of watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post
    Love my Commando dial Serica - very versatile and works well on leather, fabric or bracelet. The manual wind/screw down crown hasn't been an issue for me at all.

[/url]
    Looks great on the black leather.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have the commando dial and like it very much. The reservations people have about a screw down manual wind never occurred to me and doesn’t worry me now (but maybe it should!).

The bonklip is very comfy although I have a very skinny wrist so the clip but attaches right up near the top of the bracelet which perhaps doesn’t look as good.

I’ve currently got it on an amaretto horween strap but like the look of that black horween on the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    I have the commando dial and like it very much. The reservations people have about a screw down manual wind never occurred to me and doesn’t worry me now (but maybe it should!).

The bonklip is very comfy although I have a very skinny wrist so the clip but attaches right up near the top of the bracelet which perhaps doesn’t look as good.

I’ve currently got it on an amaretto horween strap but like the look of that black horween on the link above.

Yes, Watch Obsession have a nice leather with white cross stitch , Rios a nice cordocan, with white stitching , and the nicest are two from Joseph Bonnie, the guy that makes the bonklip for them, a proper horween cordovan and a leather with white contrast stitching

The horween looks gorgeous but not contrast stitching at all, hence why I'm torn

I’ve also come close to picking one up a couple of times. If a cali dial came up for sale used, I might well jump on it.

I'll be honest these pics (mine included) are making me want to pick up another

Craftsman
    It was your pics that brought them to my attention and made me want one!

Apprentice
    Here's another one (if you need further persuasion)!

Blog Entries
    This was my one that was sold recently, lovely watches and very well made. I would try to buy used though.

Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post
    Here's another one (if you need further persuasion)!

These pics persuaded me to buy decent black leather

Just spent 250 quid on two Joseph Bonnie straps , will post pics

Craftsman

Serica

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

Similar story here! Went for one of the Star 69 in black from Joseph Bonnie, which I believe are the ones you can also buy from the Serica website and which they are pictured on.

Was also going to buy one of their black cordovan straps for my IWC mark xii but it would be too long for my skinny wrists. Instead, for the mark xii, I have gone for an IWC style strap from The Strap Tailor in extra small.

It all adds up pretty quickly when you start buying nice straps!

Last edited by benshep; 21st July 2022 at 13:54.

Craftsman

Serica

Deleted
    Last edited by benshep; 21st July 2022 at 13:53. Reason: Duplicate post

Similar story here! Went for one of the Star 69 in black from Joseph Bonnie, which I believe are the ones you can also buy from the Serica website and which they are pictured on.

Was also going to buy one of their black cordovan straps for my IWC mark xii but it would be too long for my skinny wrists. Instead, for the mark xii, I have gone for an IWC style strap from The Strap Tailor in extra small.

It all adds up pretty quickly when you start buying nice straps!

Certainly does!

Are JB straps not sold with Serica watches? Thought it would be easier to get one on a bracelet and buy an extra strap with it (That’s what I am thinking of doing)

Quick question to anyone who has bought one, how is the VAT removed for UK buyers? It says on the site that it can be done but not how to. Tried to message them but it’s a dead link.

You don't pay vat at time of purchase, I assume it will go through customs and you get a letter for the tax later

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Are JB straps not sold with Serica watches? Thought it would be easier to get one on a bracelet and buy an extra strap with it (That’s what I am thinking of doing)
    Yes JB make the bonklip and you can also buy one of their others, which is a tropic leather, I wanted their horween cordovan plus their calf with contrast stitching. Couldn't choose so bought both

I bought mine from Crouchy and his pics are far better than anything I could manage to add. It has barely been off my wrist for the last couple of weeks. The Bonklip bracelet is so comfortable, even more so than my vintage Rolex Oyster riveted bracelet, which is a benchmark for comfort for me. The Bonklip has been a revelation in the hot weather as it it so easy to adjust.

I have pre-offered it through the WTB if I were to sell, but to be honest I am not sure I that will be happening anytime soon I would love to see Serica offer a white or silver dial variant and this might encourage me to sell it. Maybe! This watch feels every bit as high quality as other Swiss watches I have owned and I would highly recommend trying one out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    I bought mine from Crouchy and his pics are far better than anything I could manage to add. It has barely been off my wrist for the last couple of weeks. The Bonklip bracelet is so comfortable, even more so than my vintage Rolex Oyster riveted bracelet, which is a benchmark for comfort for me. The Bonklip has been a revelation in the hot weather as it it so easy to adjust.

I have pre-offered it through the WTB if I were to sell, but to be honest I am not sure I that will be happening anytime soon I would love to see Serica offer a white or silver dial variant and this might encourage me to sell it. Maybe! This watch feels every bit as high quality as other Swiss watches I have owned and I would highly recommend trying one out.
    Have you seen the California TXD dial? https://www.serica-watches.com/en/pr...alifornia-txd/

Yes that is lovely but personally I am not a fan of California dials. If they offered that colour with the standard dial I would be very tempted...

The XD Cali is a ceramic dial with lumed numerals, quite spectacular I think but I still prefer the lacquered black dial

The XD Cali is a ceramic dial with lumed numerals, quite spectacular I think but I still prefer the lacquered black dial

Ceramic dial? Do you mean enamel paint? I actually prefer enamel paint dials to modern fired enamel dials, they just don’t look as nice as the old pocket watch enamel dials.

Ceramic dial? Do you mean enamel paint? I actually prefer enamel paint dials to modern fired enamel dials, they just don’t look as nice as the old pocket watch enamel dials.
    Yeah sorry meant enamel

I've done vids and it does look very nice , applied lumed indices, the standard Cali is lacquered printed numerals but I just prefer it to the newer XD thing.

Yeah sorry meant enamel

I've done vids and it does look very nice , applied lumed indices, the standard Cali is lacquered printed numerals but I just prefer it to the newer XD thing.

Do you have any links to videos of this dial? The brand promo ones are terrible you hardly see the watch same goes for most of the reviewers I have found. I am not so sure of the "vintage lume" so I would like a better look otherwise I really like the look of this.

Do you have any links to videos of this dial? The brand promo ones are terrible you hardly see the watch same goes for most of the reviewers I have found. I am not so sure of the "vintage lume" so I would like a better look otherwise I really like the look of this.
    I just googled and found a few

There aren't many and some are embedded in articles

Last edited by Daveya.; 26th July 2022 at 15:15.

that worked lol

Try again

Craftsman
    Try again

Looks great. The Cali dial has grown on me. What are your first impressions?

Looks great. The Cali dial has grown on me. What are your first impressions?

Lives up to all the expectations having read all the reviews, the bonklip lovely and light. The dial has real charm. Really screaming for a good black leather though, and they are on the way . Very nice watch

Nice, I like that. (I've been a fan of a Cali dial for a while, I need to get one back in my collection.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Looks really good (Thought you were going for the tuxedo dial?) Thats a pretty quick arrival too, did you get the spare straps? I have bought a couple of JB straps in the past and found them to be really good.

Looks really good (Thought you were going for the tuxedo dial?) Thats a pretty quick arrival too, did you get the spare straps? I have bought a couple of JB straps in the past and found them to be really good.
    Backed off the tuxedo, just kept coming back to the black so went with the guy

The JB straps should be here end of the week, cost 300 quid with tax eeek

Ok, so I ordered the Coltrane calfskin with white contrast stitching, and the genuine horween cordovan.

The cordovan is amazing, and a lot more expensive, but the calf skin really hits the spot, subtle matt lighter black, v the cordovan silky inky back. The white stitching is beautifully done, really credit to their workmanship and sets the watch off beautifully.

Might list the cordovan ,look out for it

https://www.josephbonnie.com/fr/prod...cordovan-noir/

Craftsman
    Ok, so I ordered the Coltrane calfskin with white contrast stitching, and the genuine horween cordovan.

The cordovan is amazing, and a lot more expensive, but the calf skin really hits the spot, subtle matt lighter black, v the cordovan silky inky back. The white stitching is beautifully done, really credit to their workmanship and sets the watch off beautifully.

Might list the cordovan ,look out for it

https://www.josephbonnie.com/fr/prod...cordovan-noir/

That really looks great. Good purchases!

Thanks, bloody Pixel 6 over processed rubbish pics, the strap is Matt with a lovely subtle texture , pics don't do it justice

Very nice but I would not sell the Cordovan strap, probably the most comfortable watch straps there are out there.

Very nice but I would not sell the Cordovan strap, probably the most comfortable watch straps there are out there.
    Yeah and cost 140 quid which on the sales corner I'll probably get offered a jumper or shoes in part ex

Right, cordovan is one , but thicker and fills the lugs very nicely and yes, it's very very nice and adds a bit of class, think I might keep it

I really like the Cordovan on that one, I agree I think this one fills the lugs better which was one thing I did notice in your photos. I think a dark brown cordovan strap would look really good with that watch (I have one on a Seiko) there used to be an ebay seller who sold them at very reasonable prices a lot of them were Nomos seconds (When I say seconds I mean like the print on the back had been out of place) Ill try and have a look to see who it is.

Think a few of Pav (Of this forum) has some straps that would look good on this too.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the Cordovan on that one, I agree I think this one fills the lugs better which was one thing I did notice in your photos. I think a dark brown cordovan strap would look really good with that watch (I have one on a Seiko) there used to be an ebay seller who sold them at very reasonable prices a lot of them were Nomos seconds (When I say seconds I mean like the print on the back had been out of place) Ill try and have a look to see who it is.

Think a few of Pav (Of this forum) has some straps that would look good on this too.