closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any suggestions for a motorbike for son to strip down and rebuild

Any suggestions for a motorbike for son to strip down and rebuild

Bit of a random one but my son has a passion for cars and would one day love to buy a clapped out car and rebuild it.
    We don't really have the space for him to tinker around on a car but I suggested a motorbike to start with just so he gets a feeling for using tools and learning basic mechanics.
    I thought he'd be able to go on ebay and buy a clapped out Yamaha dt/tzr 50/125 as these were what we had in my youth and a couple of mates used to fix them up.
    I'm obviously out of touch because the prices seem to be nowhere near what I was expecting.
    I've looked on fb marketplace and autotrader with him but nothing seems to fit the bill
    I'm not massively interested in mechanics but want to help him get his hobby of the ground.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by leo1790; 18th July 2022 at 13:53.

Blog Entries
    Not glamorous I know but when we were 14-15 we started by rebuilding old mopeds. They were cheap to buy and do up.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thanks, mopeds a good shout. He has had a look at a few but most seem to go for £500.
    I think I'm stuck in the dark ages of picking up loot/classifieds on a Friday evening and coming home with a dt50 Saturday morning for £80

My suggestion of a petrol lawnmower, which got laughed at, looks like it might be a contender

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Thanks, mopeds a good shout. He has had a look at a few but most seem to go for £500.
    I think I'm stuck in the dark ages of picking up loot/classifieds on a Friday evening and coming home with a dt50 Saturday morning for £80
    Ooops, yes, times have changed somewhat from NSU Quickly's or Raleigh Runabouts for a few quid!

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    My suggestion of a petrol lawnmower, which got laughed at, looks like it might be a contender
    Not a bad call really.

I was always given the tools and told how to do it, by my late father who was an engineer, rather than him fixing it for me. From pedal bikes upwards and by the time I had a Triumph Tiger Cub I was able to strip it down and rebuild it no problem.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ooops, yes, times have changed somewhat from NSU Quickly's or Raleigh Runabouts for a few quid!

Not a bad call really.

I was always given the tools and told how to do it, by my late father who was an engineer, rather than him fixing it for me. From pedal bikes upwards and by the time I had a Triumph Tiger Cub I was able to strip it down and rebuild it no problem.
    There was a Bantam cub that went for well under a grand a few days ago. It's odd that anything in a mess seems to be pricy - I'd go for something like a bantam as they are stupidly easy to work on and then when it's finished it's actually worth something. A moped is still a moped.

Prices higher on everything used. Not working or extra spare time. People are looking for hobbies to pass the time.

Maybe buy in parts. Frame, wheels etc. rather than whole

DON

If it's to learn how they work he would be better off with a four stroke

Thinking slightly outside the box, but how about a pedal bike for him to restore. No engine or electrics obviously, but bearings, cables, gears etc to service/replace. Frame etc to rub down and paint. Dirt cheap and its something he can use when finished.

Blog Entries
    Building mean-looking 'cafe racers' from run-of-the-mill mopeds is a thing here. Tomos, Puch. You can buy them for next to nothing. Parts are cheap and parts supply is good. Then the fun starts! Google 'Tomos cafe racer' or 'Puch cafe racer'.

Another interesting moped model is a Honda Cub. Rare as hen's teeth here in the Netherlands but I think that it used to be a fairly common model in the UK.

Maybe look for something in the 'free pages' on fb marketplace or Gumtree. Perhaps there is an old junker that somebody would rather give away than have to pay to get rid of after their wife makes them get it out of their garage!

Master
    I have a Honda C90 in my shed, pushed it in there 17 years ago after getting knocked off it on my way home from work.. Then I got into cycling so never used it again.

If you were closer to me (I was in Derby & Matlock last Wed/Thursday!), I would say you could have it for nothing. If you ever get down to S London with a van the offer is open :)

it has a broken windshield and the clutch cover has a hole in it but it still ran, many moons ago though...
    Last edited by bry nylon; 19th July 2022 at 09:04.

Journeyman
    Honda CG 125??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I have a Honda C90 in my shed, pushed it in there 17 years ago after getting knocked off it on my way home from work.. Then I got into cycling so never used it again.

If you were closer to me (I was in Derby & Matlock last Wed/Thursday!), I would say you could have it for nothing. If you ever get down to S London with a van the offer is open :)

it has a broken windshield and the clutch cover has a hole in it but it still ran, many moons ago though...
    The C90 has a bit of a following

Thanks for all the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If it's to learn how they work he would be better off with a four stroke
    This was his suggestion to start off with, he's seen a couple of damaged cbr600's at a more affordable price but I thought he might be better off starting on a 2 stroke just to give him a feel for starting out. He's explained to me that a four stroke would be more comparable to working on a car engine so he's got a valid point. I just don't want him biting off more than he can chew and becoming disheartened with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Thinking slightly outside the box, but how about a pedal bike for him to restore. No engine or electrics obviously, but bearings, cables, gears etc to service/replace. Frame etc to rub down and paint. Dirt cheap and its something he can use when finished.
    He stripped down his 2nd hand cannondale and put it all back together. He's dead set on working on an engine now.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post

Very kind of you, thank you. If I'm ever passing I might give you a shout although I wouldn't expect anything for free.

There's a couple more mechanics near us that he could try. He's tried the closest 3 but they've all said no due to insurance.
    Bloke in the village, who's coming up for retirement, has very kindly offered him use of his ramp and tools on weekends.