closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hitler's watch going to auction

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Hitler's watch going to auction

It's all over the news and i do not think i have seen a posting here.

A very controversial historical artefact from the evilest man the world has ever seen.

However an object of colossal historical importance.

My guess is that it will do more than $4mln.

Reading a little on the subject, it seems that he only ever worn a pocket watch?

https://www.watchpro.com/hitlers-gol...f-2-4-million/

Curious to know if anyone knows more details about the history of this watch?

It should be locked away in a museum safe, never to be seen by the public. Who would want to be associated with this item?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    ah thank you, had not seen the thread.

Will read other thread.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There was a similar discussion elsewhere years ago about this or some other watch and I vaguely remember that the symbol of an eagle looking left while clutching a swastika wasn't introduced until 1935 as a symbol of the Nazi party, when the eagle looking right while clutching a swastika, originally the symbol of the Nazi party became the symbol of the Reich.

This a vague memory backed by five minutes googling, but I'm sure more competent folk will be able to confirm or not.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    There was a similar discussion elsewhere years ago about this or some other watch and I vaguely remember that the symbol of an eagle looking left while clutching a swastika wasn't introduced until 1935 as a symbol of the Nazi party, when the eagle looking right while clutching a swastika, originally the symbol of the Nazi party became the symbol of the Reich.

This a vague memory backed by five minutes googling, but I'm sure more competent folk will be able to confirm or not.
    I recall that there was quite a famous story about the Longines watch that used to belong to von Ribbentrop which was bought by Laurence Marks and turned into a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    It should be locked away in a museum
    Brill. Dr Jones on TZUK.

Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    It's all over the news and i do not think i have seen a posting here.

A very controversial historical artefact from the evilest man the world has ever seen.

However an object of colossal historical importance.

My guess is that it will do more than $4mln.

Reading a little on the subject, it seems that he only ever worn a pocket watch?

https://www.watchpro.com/hitlers-gol...f-2-4-million/

Curious to know if anyone knows more details about the history of this watch?
    Slightly off topic but isn’t every dictator routinely called the most evil person in history by the media?
    I’m certainly not a fan of Hitler and deplore the actions of the Nazi regime but it seems unfair to ignore the efforts of Joesph Stalin and Mao Zedong who both surpass Hitler in terms of number of deaths attributed to them.
    In terms of personal cruelty to others the list could well be extended to include many more highly deserving candidates given the rather miserable roll call of human history.
    All in all it’s a fairly grim aspect of human endeavour and one that I (hopefully) suspect few here would seek to excel at.
    Keep safe in the heat

It should be locked away in a museum safe, never to be seen by the public. Who would want to be associated with this item?
    Why lock away history? I agree it should be in a museum, but shown in the correct context. Assuming it's even real that is.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Why lock away history? I agree it should be in a museum, but shown in the correct context. Assuming it's even real that is.
    Totally agree. Whats the point in locking it away? Might as well be done with it and melt it down. There are waxwork effigies of Hitler, should they be melted down and have him cancelled from history...?

Put the watch in a museum but secure enough so a Nazi fanboy isn't able to steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Slightly off topic but isn’t every dictator routinely called the most evil person in history by the media?
    I’m certainly not a fan of Hitler and deplore the actions of the Nazi regime but it seems unfair to ignore the efforts of Joesph Stalin and Mao Zedong who both surpass Hitler in terms of number of deaths attributed to them.
    In terms of personal cruelty to others the list could well be extended to include many more highly deserving candidates given the rather miserable roll call of human history.
    All in all it’s a fairly grim aspect of human endeavour and one that I (hopefully) suspect few here would seek to excel at.
    Keep safe in the heat

Pol Pot has a claim too.

I guess you could argue that everyone who died in WW2 was a victim of Hitler though, so on numbers alone he would win.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Pol Pot has a claim too.

I guess you could argue that everyone who died in WW2 was a victim of Hitler though, so on numbers alone he would win.

M

Unfortunately for Hitler and Stalin they fail to match up to the total of around 40 million attributed to Mao which can’t be attributed to WW2; Stalin is possibly more likely to outdo Hitler as he was in power for longer so had more time to build his total.
    Stalin was also notoriously cavalier with the lives of Russian soldiers in WW2 which needlessly inflated casualties.
    Historically it would be interesting to look at deaths as a percentage of total population so the likes of Ghengis Khan might get a look in at claiming the top spot yet!
    However you look at it it’s possibly not a league table you would want to lead.

Journeyman
    This watch should be destroyed and disposed off. It's garbage from a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    I hate to disagree but an inanimate object like a watch can be neither good nor evil.
    If we agree that the policies of Hitler and the Nazis, like those of Stalin, Mao, Pot, Khan and those behind other bleak parts of human history - such as the slave trade - were abhorrent, surely it is better for us to learn from our past mistakes?
    If we erase them from our history we forget them and in doing so condemn ourselves to repeating them in the future.

Last edited by adg31; 19th July 2022 at 06:58.

Somebody with $2m - $4m by the sounds of things.

Like many on here I believe that it should be in a museum on display in the right context but inevitably it will end up in the hands of a private collector.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    As others have said erasing history is not a good idea and the fact is Hitler wore the watch he didn't make it so garbage from a monster is incorrect. It seems quite fashionable for today's Liberals to erase the history they despise and only keep the parts they agree with. With your mindset and others how long before you decide museums should be closed as well

Since this is watch talk the merits of the watch and the maker should be the topic and I hope all history good and bad is saved for future generations to learn from.

Master
    It's an extraordinary historical artefact if genuine. Should be in a museum where people can see it, ideally.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    As others have said erasing history is not a good idea and the fact is Hitler wore the watch he didn't make it so garbage from a monster is incorrect. It seems quite fashionable for today's Liberals to erase the history they despise and only keep the parts they agree with. With your mindset and others how long before you decide museums should be closed as well

Since this is watch talk the merits of the watch and the maker should be the topic and I hope all history good and bad is saved for future generations to learn from.
    I agree John.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Wonder when putins watch will hit the auction house? lol

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    You mean "watches". He has a few.

.... the fact is Hitler wore the watch
    There is no evidence that Hitler ever wore it. He never wore wristwatches but had a pocket watch in his outside jacket pocket. I believe it was a Junghans.

Daily Mail also reporting this story. Readers comments, as always, are a total embarrassment.
    “French family should be arrested for looting.”
    “The French never stormed the Berghof, they just ran away.”
    “There was no resistance, all the French collaborated.”
    “All profit should go to Britain, we won the war.”
    “We need someone like Hitler in charge now.”

They live among us!

Personally I have nothing against it being for sale, it’s part of history and shouldn’t be forgotten, so long as it’s not used to glorify the unforgivable. I have more of a problem with modern brands glorifying a very dodgy past, like Ennebi’s obsession with Decima Mas, and with brands denying any part of supplying these tyrants, such as JLC here and Rolex denying knowingly supplying Panerai with both movements and complete watches for supply to the Nazis. Just accept it, apologise if you feel the need, and move on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    There is no evidence that Hitler ever wore it. He never wore wristwatches but had a pocket watch in his outside jacket pocket. I believe it was a Junghans.
    Good to see you have entered the thread john. I am basing my statement solely from the fact if I was given a watch I would wear it so your correct in this thread no one has stated for a fact he wore it nor do I have proof. But, it is from his personal belongings and was given to him so did he wear once or twice maybe, maybe not and that is why history is so interesting at least to me.

History is one of the things that really interests me like a dime store detective novel the in's, out's, maybe's and possibilities just gets the brain moving so I appreciate the thread and the fact about the watch manufacturer, which I am going to have to research, which is defunct. Surprised no one has brought the name back from the dead yet.

Cheers

Since this is watch talk, you should probably not have brought the term "Liberals" to the discussion or made assumptions about the person you're criticising, wanting to close all museums.

Nice to see you though, on a Hitler thread.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I read the same also.

However I'm sure like all dignitaries Hitler and his crew were presented with all sorts of gifts (especially before the war) and I would imagine the JLC was one of them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    such as JLC here
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    and I would imagine the JLC was one of them
    "The gold Andreas Huber reversible wristwatch was likely given to Adolf Hitler himself most likely on April 20, 1933, his 44th birthday"

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    "The gold Andreas Huber reversible wristwatch was likely given to Adolf Hitler himself most likely on April 20, 1933, his 44th birthday"
    Including a movement made and supplied by?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Since this is watch talk, you should probably not have brought the term "Liberals" to the discussion or made assumptions about the person you're criticising, wanting to close all museums.

Nice to see you though, on a Hitler thread.
    Good to see you in his thread as well I guess we both have an interest in watches with historical attributes.

Back in 1933 Hitler had just become Chancellor of a failing country and was seen by many - both inside and outside Germany - as being a potential national saviour.
    As such, many brands were quite keen to be associated with him at the time as the true horror of the Nazi regime was still largely unknown and only became visible to the wider world over the coming years.
    With the benefit of hindsight many brands have seemingly been content to suffer in silence from selective amnesia!

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Back in 1933 Hitler had just become Chancellor of a failing country and was seen by many - both inside and outside Germany - as being a potential national saviour.
    As such, many brands were quite keen to be associated with him at the time as the true horror of the Nazi regime was still largely unknown and only became visible to the wider world over the coming years.
    With the benefit of hindsight many brands have seemingly been content to suffer in silence from selective amnesia!

Indeed.

Siemens, Bayer, Hugo Boss etc etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Vergangenheitbewältigung. German companies are much more proactive in dealing with their past than English companies /families /institutions with theirs, for example (slavery, Amritsar, etc.)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Not soon enough.

Where is Hitler’s Watch?
    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...hitlers-watch/

The only clip of Hitler consulting a watch
    https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...-with-officers

does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Vergangenheitbewältigung. German companies are much more proactive in dealing with their past than English companies /families /institutions with theirs, for example (slavery, Amritsar, etc.)
    Is it not because there are discernible differences between an entire country/nations actions and those of private enterprises or individuals?

to be completely matter of fact, many European countries have companies currently operating in a less than ethical manner and linked to suppliers operating with what could be considered slave like conditions in the present day so there's a long way to go.

His progeny will take em over and I don't think there ever will come a time when they will have to auction one of his watches for money.

Is it not because there are discernible differences between an entire country/nations actions and those of private enterprises or individuals?
    Which would be the entire country? Which would be the individuals? Add to that I posted after Neil C.’s

to be completely matter of fact, many European countries have companies currently operating in a less than ethical manner and linked to suppliers operating with what could be considered slave like conditions in the present day so there's a long way to go.
    So it’s okay because it’s still going on? Or at least it justifies moving on rather than making sure people acknowledge what has gone on, reflect upon it and remain vigilant?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Not soon enough.
    Correct. Sooner the better.

SydR

Apparently sold for $1.1m. Well short of the $2m to $4m estimate.
    Last edited by SydR; 29th July 2022 at 22:32.

Master
    A little history on the maker now a part of Bucherer.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/doku.php?id=andreas_huber

Don't forget to add Bucherer, A. Lange and Sohn and Panerai with many more to your do not buy list if history truly bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Apparently sold for $1.1m. Well short of the $2m to $4m estimate.
    I'm surprised, I thought a lot of museums would contend for it.

Perhaps most see it as of little historical interest, if not an outright fake?

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?