closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: So it’s going to get hot - big deal

Master
    Deepest condolences to you and your family. Such sad news to hear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    For those who think the heat isn’t dangerous… I just heard that my sister who was only 50 years old passed away a short while ago. Suspected heart attack from heat exhaustion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So sorry, my condolences.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My deepest condolences to you and your family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I am so sorry to hear that.. absolutely shocking news and precisely why these flippant comments about it being “a bit hot” are so infuriating.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stuie - I'm so sorry. That is just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Then keep the hot air out of the house, then you won’t get the hot air rising. As long as the insulation is between the living space and the sun/loft- who cares how hot the loft gets?
    Yep, that works. If you have curtains or shades on all windows exposed to sunlight.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Yep, that works. If you have curtains or shades on all windows exposed to sunlight.
    It worked to an extent, here until really later into the afternoon where the sun blasting on two walls of the house (semi detached) and the roof was too much and heated up like crazy. I worked only on my laptop all day, never ran any heat generating appliances or didn't even use hot water.. though all that went out of the window when the kids came home from nursery and wanted TV, a bath, etc etc.

Bedrooms were around 30 centigrade overnight though I suppose given the outside was 36-37, then it did work.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    It worked to an extent, here until really later into the afternoon where the sun blasting on two walls of the house (semi detached) and the roof was too much and heated up like crazy. I worked only on my laptop all day, never ran any heat generating appliances or didn't even use hot water.. though all that went out of the window when the kids came home from nursery and wanted TV, a bath, etc etc.

Bedrooms were around 30 centigrade overnight though I suppose given the outside was 36-37, then it did work.

It will work as best it can, given the insulation you have in your house. Opening windows overnight should cool the interior down to give you the best start in the morning.

Insulation is insulation. What works to keep your house warm in winter, with the heating on - will work in summer to keep the higher ambient temperature OUT.

Many people ignore this principle. It prevents transfer of heat from hot to cold in whatever direction that is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Seems to be a lot of flippant remarks about the heat, yet when there was no warning about the hurricane Mr Fish failed to report, everyone was up in arms over it because of the damage it caused to property. That was just a gale lasting hours.
    This is heat and just as deadly.
    There will be deaths, drownings, heat stroke, driving accidents (dehydration) dogs dying etc so fair warning by the Met Office.
    Yes it's common sense, but given the millions of non take up of vaccines, it doesn't surprise me that there will be suffering.
    Ah yes, but that was different, it affected the South East!!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I am sitting here gently sipping a glass of water and am fine. I have probably acclimatised to the hotter weather due to spending more time in Spain but I am acting Spanish.

I stay in the house between 10am - 4.00pm, all curtains pulled across and have a fan on in the room where we are in. We have a large ceiling fan turning slowly in the dining room. I really do not have any difficulty coping with this and it is worth noting that the Spanish tend to live longer than us even with the hotter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am sitting here gently sipping a glass of water and am fine. I have probably acclimatised to the hotter weather due to spending more time in Spain but I am acting Spanish.

I stay in the house between 10am - 4.00pm, all curtains pulled across and have a fan on in the room where we are in. We have a large ceiling fan turning slowly in the dining room. I really do not have any difficulty coping with this and it is worth noting that the Spanish tend to live longer than us even with the hotter weather.
    Spain has always been hotter than the UK, so the buildings are designed with it in mind. Most here aren't, so that changes things dramatically.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nearly 35c already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Spain has always been hotter than the UK, so the buildings are designed with it in mind. Most here aren't, so that changes things dramatically.
    Yes but I am currently in the UK living in my UK house and I really am coping very well. Even my wife who is recovering from a stroke is ok, it's all down to how you behave.

Grand Master
    We build houses wrongly in the UK to cope with heat. South-facing gardens with conservatories or rooms with far too much window area or glass doors, far too hot in even moderate summer weather and unbearable in a heatwave......yet still we do it!

When my bungalow was extended we avoided this trap deliberately, building a proper roofed extension with french doors and windows on one side but avoiding the temptation for too much glass and definitely avoiding the bi-folding door craze. In hindsight I would've liked a bit more light in the room and considered adding a window on the south-facing side but this last few days has convinced me otherwise. The room has stayed comfortable and OK to use. Contrast this with my sister's house which I`m currently helping to sell, the nicely-built conservatory is absolutely unbearable, I was there yesterday and it was like an oven.

Hotter summers are here to stay, even the global warming deniers must now accept it's happening.......as with many other things we have learn to deal with it!

Craftsman
    Car claims it's 41°C in London

@ stuie-t - my condolences.

All windows closed here as well as blinds and curtains shut, put the bins out a few minutes ago and the house felt like it's air-conditioned when I closed the door. A fan blowing in the lounge helps, tried the same yesterday and it works. Feel a bit stupid not following this technique before, I've used the shade before however keeping all windows closed is new to me. I've no issue in admitting that.

Noted all my neighbours have windows open, one side has a conservatory that'll have the sun on it from now until it sets - and they're sitting in it!

Craftsman
    43°C now

I don't think its very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    43°C now

Nor is the fuel gauge. You did 4 miles and it didn't drop

100F+ here is NE Surrey.

All windows and curtains shut. Dust sheets over rooflights. Tarpaulin covering bifolds.

Not a very well insulated house, but it is a comfortable temperature inside now no sunlight can get in anywhere.

Half the neighbours have their windows open! Unless it is 100F in their house, they are only letting the warm air in.

What is with the temp being quoted on TZ in F recently?? Is it a Brexit thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A llb to a bushel it is
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Nor is the fuel gauge. You did 4 miles and it didn't drop
    Also not wearing a seat belt is irresponsible regardless of the weather.

Heat related deaths top 1,100 in Spain and Portugal.

Their expertise in heat management didn't save them unfortunately.

Plus of course large swathes of Iberia and France are on fire.

We moan here but at least we have nothing like that

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=86972928
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yes but I am currently in the UK living in my UK house and I really am coping very well. Even my wife who is recovering from a stroke is ok, it's all down to how you behave.
    A lot of people that have to work don’t have that luxury in this weather.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Its a summer thing, heat in F cold in C

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Spain's population stands at just under 46.7 million. Their annual death rate for everything is 418,000pa so in all fairness 1100 for both Spain and Portugal does not denote that it is out of control.

The Brits just love to moan and the BP is the living proof of that.

Master
    I remembered seeing a film where a young lady opened the fridge door, to get cool and she was stark naked. I just tried it and it works. The neighbours may not be too happy as the kitchen blinds were a bit slatty! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I suspect that if in 1976 they had social media and multiple TV stations that it would have made big news but as it was they had 3 channels or was it 2 and newspapers. In fact I’ve just looked on utube for the some material from 1976 summer heatwave and there is lots and lots. So it was a big deal even then but media back then isn’t what it is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It was a big deal, not because of the temperature, but because it didn't rain from 2nd week in February until mid September and all the reservoirs ran dry. We had water rationing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    blowing a red hot gale here in the mids. Washing has dried in 5 minutes.

I’m my workshop, think I’m going to complain to management

However on the back wall in the garage along from us which is radiating through

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Spain's population stands at just under 46.7 million. Their annual death rate for everything is 418,000pa so in all fairness 1100 for both Spain and Portugal does not denote that it is out of control.

The Brits just love to moan and the BP is the living proof of that.

No, not out of control at all.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

18 degrees C here but humid. With the WNW wind of 7mph I didn't feel a t-shirt was appropriate so I put my jacket on and opened the pit zips. By the time I got back with the rucksack full of shopping the jacket didn't seem such a good idea. It will be going up to 20 in the next couple of hours, which means that it will have been the hottest so far this year. We are normally 6-12 degrees cooler than the south of England.

The thermostat in the kitchen is reading 27. I popped in to the garden to give the chillies and tomatoes a bit of water as they were looking rather distressed and it’s roasting out there. Coming back in the warm kitchen is like walking in to an air conditioned building. 40.2 down the road at Heathrow apparently and 39.1 across the river at Kew.

At 1538hrs this afternoon the skies darkened & the wind rose. It's now raining moderately. I expect thunder shortly.

That's summer over on the Costa Clyde for this year!
    ______

​Jim.

Showing 39 here in North Norfolk, and judging by the smoke outside it looks like our local nature reserve is on fire. Probably a visiting city dweller who ignored the warnings and set up a disposable barbecue near the long dry grass - there really are some dopey, selfish morons around

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This post is useless without pictures!

Snowing here in Central Bedfordshire.

😁

(sorry, that’s ash. My mistake.)
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    The pictures don't count if they don't tell everyone you have a ferrari.

Been a fantastic day today for gardening now off for a refreshing pint

Craftsman
    Rain cleared up, now quite pleasant here in Dawlish...

Usual 40c in Nicosia
    Fully ac when needed

A little earlier today

Well, our HQ building was evacuated today after a heat sensor on the roof set the fire alarm off. Luckily I was WFH and my FM there handled it all as efficiently as always... close shave, though

Grand Master
    Like most people I’m finding the weather way too hot for comfort. Today should’ve been split between working in the garage and catching up on some watch work, garage is too hot so I decided to stick to the watches........my patience is a limited commodity at the best of times and it seems to have evaporated in the heat, decided to call it a day and drink cool beer instead! Sitting outside in the shade with a strong breeze blowing at the moment, feels quite pleasant (Mr Cold Lager is definitely contributing to the ambience).

Reminds me of being in Cyprus in July many years ago!

All I can smell is vegetation smoke as North Kent burns. Dartford heath is ablaze and several hectares of Bexley grassland has gone. Several houses have gone up over the Thames in Essex from adjacent grass fires. This is all very sad.

Blog Entries
    I wrote in the 'good movies' thread about our escape to the cinema this afternoon. The movie started around just after noon and ended around 3PM. Including 2x30mins in a car with properly working airco, nearly 4 hrs of heat skipped!

The dog stayed in the hallway all that time. Normally we let him roam around the house, but I was afraid that he would pick the wrong spot for an extended nap, so we gave him the coolest part of the house + plenty of water. He was fine when we returned. The cats had found a cool spot under the trees in the garden, behind some bushes.

(We went to see the movie Elvis. Halfway, I realized that these temps are normal in the Southern part of US!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    43°C now

Never mind the temp, show me the rest of the car!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Khan saying no one to have a barbecue in London for the next few days!