closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So it’s going to get hot - big deal

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Probably because the trains and the underground are absolute misery in hot weather, as well as less reliable.

I find it hard to believe anyone could work in London and need it explaining why people struggle in the heat there.

The majority of the underground is either not running or running poorly, even the lines that are ok will be boiling hot.

Even if you live within walking distance of your office, or drive in how can you not know about public transport?

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I don't care about the heat for myself, even though I'm no fan of it... more concerned for my two year olds. Their bedroom was 28 centigrade last night... little chance to cool it today and I can't even imagine how hot it'll be tonight. I think I am going to have to buy an air conditioner going forward just for these odd days / weeks when the weather is so insane, just to give them a chance of not roasting to death in their sleep.
    Similar concern here. I've currently got a portable AC unit running, next to an oscillating fan to direct the cool air into their bedrooms. It's 34.5 outside as I type this, but 23-24 in their rooms. I'll keep it going until the very last minute and hope it doesn't heat up too soon afterwards.

Modern UK house design/regulations aren't fit for this weather.

My attic is so well insulated that it stores heat up, so even if you cool the upstairs rooms with the windows open, as soon as you shut them the temperature rockets to unhealthy levels.

I had to install aircon upstairs for this very reason.

While I feel smug over the last few years in having it, I can't help thinking that the environmental costs of the energy to run it and the greenhouse gasses that make it work means I'm helping contribute to the death spiral we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Similar concern here. I've currently got a portable AC unit running, next to an oscillating fan to direct the cool air into their bedrooms. It's 34.5 outside as I type this, but 23-24 in their rooms. I'll keep it going until the very last minute and hope it doesn't heat up too soon afterwards.
    My kids are also struggling, does not help that they only have small velux windows in their bedrooms, so the heat cant escape unless its very windy. Last night at 2am it was still 28 degrees in there, the house was fully open until that time. We have fans on them but it is very hot for the kids, I plan to use a cold wet flannel on their foreheads to help them fall asleep the next few nights, once they get to sleep they tend to be ok. They are 6 and 7.

Personally its a big uncomfortable but fine really.

Just spent my lunch break having some pasta in the sun, was hot but still nice to sit out, currently 34 here. Might not do that tomorrow though.

So it’s going to get hot - big deal

We have a 19 year old son with Down’s and an associated heart defect. He has a mental age of 3-4 and really has no idea about temperature - he wanted to wear a coat in the garden yesterday afternoon whilst playing basketball!
    We have to keep nagging him to drink and watch him like a hawk. His room is very warm at night regardless of what we do. Because of the strain it can put on his heart we invested in a portable air-conditioner last year, a delonghi model that cost about £400. It really is a game-changer, run for a few hours before he goes to bed on days like today it makes a huge difference. He won’t tolerate it in the room whilst he’s sleeping but it takes most of the heat out that the walls radiate overnight and we get a decent nights sleep knowing he’s ok (and we then put it in our room to stay cool!)
    We’ve only used it about 5 times in 2 years - which makes it expensive - but it’ll be on tonight and Harry will hopefully get a good, safe nights sleep!
    Wont help the energy bill much but some things are more important than money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on

Blog Entries
    Costs are irrrelevant when there’s a good reason to protect your child (or any other person).

It’s currently 38C out on the roads in the eastern part of the Netherlands. My wife and I had the wonderful plan of collecting a MidCenturyModern dining table from an estate sale. And it had to be collected today. From a third floor apartment with no elevator. Great.

And did I mention that the table is 2.2m long and not detachable?

Let’s say we had fun. And I’m glad this is not the first time we hauled furniture.

Btw, it was me who mentioned ‘Mad dogs and Englishmen’. Add a couple of MCM furniture collectors to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    We have a 19 year old son with Down’s and an associated heart defect. He has a mental age of 3-4 and really has no idea about temperature - he wanted to wear a coat in the garden yesterday afternoon whilst playing basketball!
    We have to keep nagging him to drink and watch him like a hawk. His room is very warm at night regardless of what we do. Because of the strain it can put on his heart we invested in a portable air-conditioner last year, a delonghi model that cost about £400. It really is a game-changer, run for a few hours before he goes to bed on days like today it makes a huge difference. He won’t tolerate it in the room whilst he’s sleeping but it takes most of the heat out that the walls radiate overnight and we get a decent nights sleep knowing he’s ok (and we then put it in our room to stay cool!)
    We’ve only used it about 5 times in 2 years - which makes it expensive - but it’ll be on tonight and Harry will hopefully get a good, safe nights sleep!
    Wont help the energy bill much but some things are more important than money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on
    When you read something like this, in a thread with the title 'big deal' and so much hostile 'nanny state' nonsense being spoken, it really answers the question 'so what'?! This is what.

I'm with you 100% though in regard to the air con. Ours lives in the garage for most of the year but when it comes out, it's the best investment we've made. Think about the energy bill though... you'll spend maybe £5-10 in electricity? If somebody said to you 'give me £10 and I'll make your house cooler and your son safer' you'd hand that tenner over without thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

My attic is so well insulated that it stores heat up, so even if you cool the upstairs rooms with the windows open, as soon as you shut them the temperature rockets to unhealthy levels.

While I feel smug over the last few years in having it, I can't help thinking that the environmental costs of the energy to run it and the greenhouse gasses that make it work means I'm helping contribute to the death spiral we're in.
    Keep the windows and curtains/blinds shut, and that insulation will keep the heat OUT.

2nd teenager to drown in the Maidenhead area in the last few weeks, when will they learn

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    2nd teenager to drown in the Maidenhead area in the last few weeks, when will they learn
    2 up here drowned.... 13yr old boy in the River Tyne yesterday. Sad

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

Surely the insulation will keep the heat out, the house would probably be warmer without it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely the insulation will keep the heat out, the house would probably be warmer without it.
    Not exactly; A lot of lofts are only insulated for the living space (i.e. the floor of the attic/ceiling of the rooms upstairs), not the loft itself (i.e. the roof) unless it's converted and even then: hot air goes up. The bedrooms upstairs are significantly hotter than the ground floor here. The loft will be worse.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

When you read something like this, in a thread with the title 'big deal' and so much hostile 'nanny state' nonsense being spoken, it really answers the question 'so what'?! This is what.

I'm with you 100% though in regard to the air con. Ours lives in the garage for most of the year but when it comes out, it's the best investment we've made. Think about the energy bill though... you'll spend maybe £5-10 in electricity? If somebody said to you 'give me £10 and I'll make your house cooler and your son safer' you'd hand that tenner over without thinking about it.
    In regard to the cost I was being flippant tbh - I’m in the lucky position to be able to afford the air conditioning in the first place, and a few quid on the energy bill won’t affect us here or there. I am aware however there are lots of people not in our financial position - with kids with similar conditions - and it’s them and their kids I worry about in extreme weather conditions like today. For them I’m sure it really is a ‘big deal’ sadly. And much more important than the cost of the newest Tudor release!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Add a couple of MCM furniture collectors to that list.
    I'd like to see a picture of the table.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not exactly; A lot of lofts are only insulated for the living space (i.e. the floor of the attic/ceiling of the rooms upstairs), not the loft itself (i.e. the roof) unless it's converted and even then: hot air goes up. The bedrooms upstairs are significantly hotter than the ground floor here. The loft will be worse.
    Then keep the hot air out of the house, then you won’t get the hot air rising. As long as the insulation is between the living space and the sun/loft- who cares how hot the loft gets?

This thread is up there with the annual Winter tyre debate

Master
    Load of fuss over nothing if you ask me. This is no more dangerous than walking down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Load of fuss over nothing if you ask me. This is no more dangerous than walking down the road.
    Just not a road in Spain, whilst wearing a blingy watch. That, I've heard, can be dangerous. Who said that?

Well- by the weekend, we will have the news reports, obituaries and statistics to prove or disprove your theory/glib comment…………

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Well- by the weekend, we will have the news reports, obituaries and statistics to prove or disprove your theory/glib comment…………
    Well me aged 73 and wife aged 70 are perfectly ok with the curtains pulled across and a fan whizzing away. If we can survive comfortably, anyone can.

Well me aged 73 and wife aged 70 are perfectly ok with the curtains pulled across and a fan whizzing away. If we can survive comfortably, anyone can.
    Post #108

Sometimes headlines don’t surprise me…………..

“English pensioner found dead in house in Spain with ligature marks around neck - Wife who was in same room, claimed that the heat made her do it”

Master
    Thanks everybody forgiving us Posties light refreshments today:) Makes a nice difference when walking 10 miles a day carrying stuff in this heat. I can see why it may be dangerous for some if you happen to leave your air conditioned lounge for a walk up the road especially if you are old or overweight. Stay safe :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it's 37c here in Leicestershire this afternoon and wonderful. Some of you are so dramatic :)

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Thanks everybody forgiving us Posties light refreshments today:) Makes a nice difference when walking 10 miles a day carrying stuff in this heat. I can see why it may be dangerous for some if you happen to leave your air conditioned lounge for a walk up the road especially if you are old or overweight. Stay safe :)
    My postie is old and overweight.

That push along trolly helps.

Another scenario which you don’t think of - ahead of time……………

Hang on! Are you just talking about water/juice or were they giving you sausage rolls and scotch eggs too?????

I took the opportunity to remove two motorcycle tyres from spare wheels (rubber nice and hot), cleaned and polished the wheels, and left the new tyres for tomorrow - no point in busting a gut over it.

Very dry heat up here in The Borders - hardly any condensation on the cold beers.

Touched 41 in my workshop this afternoon which was almost unworkable, I'm glad i cracked on first thing this before it got too hot. Just taking the bins out now and that wind is almost stinging the skin.

Then keep the hot air out of the house, then you won’t get the hot air rising. As long as the insulation is between the living space and the sun/loft- who cares how hot the loft gets?
    Open the loft hatch, let the hot air up there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    My postie is old and overweight.

That push along trolly helps.
    Ha, we don’t get trolleys as the hills are too steep. Trolley rounds are for the old and overweight. :)

Master

Another scenario which you don’t think of - ahead of time……………

Hang on! Are you just talking about water/juice or were they giving you sausage rolls and scotch eggs too?????

I took the opportunity to remove two motorcycle tyres from spare wheels (rubber nice and hot), cleaned and polished the wheels, and left the new tyres for tomorrow - no point in busting a gut over it.

Very dry heat up here in The Borders - hardly any condensation on the cold beers.
    We carry water and food of course. Forward thinking and all that.
    But it’s nice to be offered a drink or two as some appreciate that it’s not that pleasant to work in these temps. I did have some nice beers when I got home at 1300:)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 18th July 2022 at 18:38.

Blog Entries

Cool

This post is useless without pictures!

And some night time entertainment at the weekend - can get a little hot.

We have no AC - just keep the curtains closed and doors shut during the day - leave them open at night.

I find once it reaches 27C indoors it’s a little uncomfortable.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Open the loft hatch, let the hot air up there.
    The loft will invariably be hotter than the upper floor rooms…………. So that ain’t gonna work.

Might let the wasps into the bedrooms though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    https://www.healthline.com/health/sy...y#risk-factors

In case you can't be bothered to read this.... The elderly, for several reasons are a group most likely to be dehydrated in normal weather and are more
    at risk of serious medical conditions as a result.
    The awareness propagated by the media may achieve a reduction in deaths/serious illness in this group. Thereby keeping them out of overcrowded hospitals.
    It may also cause neighbours to take an interest in their welfare.

Any carer for the elderly will confirm that it's common for an older person to have no idea when they last had a drink, they don't have the same 'thirst response as younger people ...it's part of their working practice to make sure the client is hydrated and has access to water.

Similarly a small child is at increased risk during hot weather.

Hope that's enough common sense for you.
    What you say is obvious to the average brain cell, I look out for 2 old dears across the road so I know how difficult it can be for them and thats all weather extremes - but that is not my beef.

I'm just watching the 6.00pm news and they are showing extra drinks being given to a hospital ward, interviewing tourists eating ice creams (with some saying its laughable how we deal with it) the patronising coverage goes on and so far we have not had a record temperature recorded bar Wales.

YES the heatwave is news worthy but the apocalyptic talk is just ridiculous, trains having problems, airports having issues, god forbid if we had a summer like 1976, we hit the panic button on 2 days of extra warm summer days.

I did see 37C while driving on the M5 earlier but every house I went into today was below 30C..

But it’s nice to be offered a drink or two as some appreciate that it’s not that pleasant to work in these temps. I did have some nice beers when I got home at 1300:)
    Yeah, I knew what you meant…………

Some areas have a good interaction with all the services (inc delivery drivers and contractors) and some never see them or think about them.

Postman didn't ring the bell today but the Hermes guy got an ice cold can of coke. First thing he did was put it all over his face and neck!

Cotton t-shirt and a hi viz vest over it. Madness, should have you guys in gym/football kit.

As a side note: drink hot tea or coffee or any herbal.
    A cold drink is lovely. But when you get it inside you your body needs to react to maintain core homeothermia.
    So it will start exothermic reactions to correct the fall. Drink hot and the opposite will happen.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    What you say is obvious to the average brain cell, I look out for 2 old dears across the road so I know how difficult it can be for them and thats all weather extremes - but that is not my beef.

I'm just watching the 6.00pm news and they are showing extra drinks being given to a hospital ward, interviewing tourists eating ice creams (with some saying its laughable how we deal with it) the patronising coverage goes on and so far we have not had a record temperature recorded bar Wales.

YES the heatwave is news worthy but the apocalyptic talk is just ridiculous, trains having problems, airports having issues, god forbid if we had a summer like 1976, we hit the panic button on 2 days of extra warm summer days.

I did see 37C while driving on the M5 earlier but every house I went into today was below 30C..
    I suspect that if in 1976 they had social media and multiple TV stations that it would have made big news but as it was they had 3 channels or was it 2 and newspapers. In fact I’ve just looked on utube for the some material from 1976 summer heatwave and there is lots and lots. So it was a big deal even then but media back then isn’t what it is today.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Postman didn't ring the bell today but the Hermes guy got an ice cold can of coke. First thing he did was put it all over his face and neck!

Cotton t-shirt and a hi viz vest over it. Madness, should have you guys in gym/football kit.
    What a gent:) I bet he really appreciated that. We got our new uniforms yesterday actually. Shorts and T-shirt all day long .
    I can’t complain actually as I love the exercise /fitness factor and brain in a jar aspect at times:) .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 18th July 2022 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    As a side note: drink hot tea or coffee or any herbal.
    A cold drink is lovely. But when you get it inside you your body needs to react to maintain core homeothermia.
    So it will start exothermic reactions to correct the fall. Drink hot and the opposite will happen.
    I thought a hot drink was only good in some circumstances? If you're sweating like hell a hot drink will make absolutely no difference what so ever, in fact it will make you sweat more by increasing your core. Got to say I've tried both over the years and never seen any difference and reason that an icy drink is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I thought a hot drink was only good in some circumstances? If you're sweating like hell a hot drink will make absolutely no difference what so ever, in fact it will make you sweat more by increasing your core. Got to say I've tried both over the years and never seen any difference and reason that an icy drink is better.

Take water or drinks in at room temperature for best intake, but cold drinks that don't cause cramp - aren't poison.................

Avoid 'purified' water - as they tend to be low on salts, and actually leach the salts from your system as they try to become saturated.

Seen some horrendous cramps in people who were drinking large amounts of purified water.

We had a pug from the block of flats down the road sat in my room (air con) for the day as their flat was too hot for him. He just slept and farted all day

Master
    For those who think the heat isn’t dangerous… I just heard that my sister who was only 50 years old passed away a short while ago. Suspected heart attack from heat exhaustion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    For those who think the heat isn’t dangerous… I just heard that my sister who was only 50 years old passed away a short while ago. Suspected heart attack from heat exhaustion.

Oh blimey, so very sorry to hear that.

Master
    Terrible news, very sorry to hear of your loss Stu.

I'm gutted for you and your family. Hoping you all find strength at this time

Very sorry to read this Stuie, that's awful

Master
    Thanks guys, still in complete shock at the moment

Stuie that's awful, really sorry to that. Condolences to you and your family.

Master
    We experimented yesterday and today, with leaving all teh windows open over night and then closing them all and shutting curtains/blinds as soon as we woke up. it worked house has stayed cool inside all day.

First time we've ever done that and I was sceptical. Only room that got warm was the off shoot kitchen and bathroom above (Victorian house so double skin no air gap walls, which got brunt of afternoon sun). Ground floor 24degrees, only the attic hit high temps of 30+ degrees and that's the rooms we had windows open. Tomorrow we're going to try keeping attic velux windows shut as well. Garden hit 38 degrees in the shade today on the non-sunny side of the house. (Leeds)

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, still in complete shock at the moment

So sorry. That must be devastating. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG