closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it’s going to get hot - big deal

Master

So it’s going to get hot - big deal

Listening to advice on when the weather tops 30c ish. My good grief, haven’t people got brains? Drink more water, stay out of the sun etc. well I never who’d have thought it.
    I’m totally sick of this nanny state society advising as to the bleeding obvious. Rant over…

Master
    all part of the climate change rhetoric and the laws and violation of our freedoms to follow.

Just like whats going on with Dutch farmers currently.

Got my Mrs Son from Saudi staying currently and he finds it most amusing still mooching about in a jacket and trousers!!!

It's pathetic. It happens every time there's sun or snow.

Master
    Having lived and worked in very hot (and cold!) countries I can only concur. Personally I'm not happy until we get into the high 20s and anything over 30 is a bonus. The high 30s is just luxury.

Blog Entries
    Must admit I find it funny rather than annoying - there are (literally) millions, probably billions, of people living in countries with average Summer daytime temps above 30C.

We adapt - isn't that what humans do? Having said that, in the UK we don't seem to be geared up for extremes, hot or cold. I bet trains will stop running because the lines will warp and I'd be surprised if tarmac doesn't melt on a stretch of motorway somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    all part of the climate change rhetoric and the laws and violation of our freedoms to follow.

Got my Mrs Son from Saudi staying currently and he finds it most amusing still mooching about in a jacket and trousers!!!
    Yes because the climate is literally changing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Is it?
    Yes, exactly as predicted temperatures are rising at a faster rate than could be explained by natural variation. It's noticeable how much milder winters are now than 20 years ago.

Master

And on the back of it....... who will prosper the most? The billionaires who shape our day to day lives without having to follow any democratic process perhaps?

We will be the ultimate casualties in the climate change fight and used to off set the big global corporations.... IMO of course.

Master
    Yes, exactly as predicted temperatures are rising at a faster rate than could be explained by natural variation. It's noticeable how much milder winters are now than 20 years ago.
    Yes, fair enough it is changing but, is that a good or bad thing? The climate has been changing for thousands of years and sometimes it heats up and sometimes it cools down.

Having said that the OP is right, sick of the nanny state telling everyone what they should or shouldn’t do and treating people as brainless.

Craftsman
    It seems a lot of people are brainless, though...

Journeyman
    We work in an air conditioned modern building in London, and yet, we have colleagues demanding and moaning that they should be allowed to work from home due to the hot weather. But why? i just don't understand the rationale.

Master
    We just aren't set up to deal with the heat as well and our bodies aren't used to it so it becomes more dangerous. Predicting up to 40 now and above 35 the average body cant cool itself meaning some of the most vulnerable will be in trouble. Extended periods of that heat cause organ failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    My good grief, haven’t people got brains?
    Sadly, no, that's the bottom line with an awful lot of folk, you'd be surprised...

Master
    Yes, fair enough it is changing but, is that a good or bad thing? The climate has been changing for thousands of years and sometimes it heats up and sometimes it cools down.

Having said that the OP is right, sick of the nanny state telling everyone what they should or shouldn’t do and treating people as brainless.
    Possibly billions...???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Services issue advice for avoiding heat-stroke.

sIcK oF tHe NaNnY sTaTe.

Quote Originally Posted by ryip88 View Post
    We work in an air conditioned modern building in London, and yet, we have colleagues demanding and moaning that they should be allowed to work from home due to the hot weather. But why? i just don't understand the rationale.
    Have you ever travelled on the Victoria line when the outside temp is above 30C? Or in fact when it's any temp outside?

I'll be working from home on Monday and Tuesday. I'll miss the air-conditioned office but not that journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    In general or climate change deniers?

FFS - 'Run away' arrrrghhhh !
    I for one can't wait it's the kind of weather we normally have to pay to go and find in other countries but without the hassle of airports

usual media over reaction, no different to when we get a few snowflakes and the country comes to a halt.

Blog Entries
    The climate changes in cycles. Nothing new.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

As it’s so dangerous will the Government be providing a Heat Furlough so us outdoor workers don’t have to risk our lives?

Master
    Government warns citizens that conditions may be bad for them.

People get annoyed by this.

Yes but not this rapidly due to man made causes. It's already having negative effects in hotter countries and that's only going to get worse. We also rely on ecosystems for food and messing about with nature isn't likely to have good results. The number of flying insects has already dropped dramatically.

And the heat alert is just advice not evidence of a nanny state. The extreme heat is going to cause extra pressure on the NHS so clearly some people do need advice. We're not used to 40 degrees heat here.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 15th July 2022 at 20:54.

A few years ago I met/interviewed a very interesting and softly spoken chap who it turned out was one of the worlds leading experts on climate change. I asked the obvious layman’s questions and he answered that he’d once been extremely sceptical but the evidence that it was now changing was so vast it was irrefutable. Imho anyone who doubts it is only has to look at the amount of previously unprecedented global weather-related disasters to see it’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Previously over many millennia, not decades.

How can people be so stupid?

Human beings have had a massive impact on this planet since the industrial revolution in particular and the burning of fossil fuels has clearly made an impact. I’m only in my early 50’s and I’m shocked how many fewer insects/birds/butterflies there are - and the rock pools that were teeming with life in the 1970’s are now almost lifeless. It’s not something I’m imagining or have read in a book, it’s been noticeable for a long time imho

So it’s going to get hot - big deal

43 Here in Marrakesh today, 34 atm.

Still alive.

Master
    Congratulations

It is new when it's changing this rapidly. And temperature changes in the distant past have hardly been benign.

Master
    It is new when it's changing this rapidly. And temperature changes in the distant past have hardly been benign.
    The problem is we, in this country can do very little about it when the likes of Russia, China and India are building new coal power stations and doing nothing to reduce their CO2.

Good grief. No wonder the planets f*cked.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Human beings have had a massive impact on this planet since the industrial revolution in particular and the burning of fossil fuels has clearly made an impact. I’m only in my early 50’s and I’m shocked how many fewer insects/birds/butterflies there are - and the rock pools that were teeming with life in the 1970’s are now almost lifeless. It’s not something I’m imagining or have read in a book, it’s been noticeable for a long time imho

Exactly, it's amazing how many people are deniers when the evidence of rapid change is this obvious. And all the more scary given human existence is dependent on these animals.

Just come up North, still grey and normal up here next week....

Cheers,

Adam.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't throw 'Dutch farmers' in the mix. Close to the 'no politics' rule here in the G&D. Because that's what it is. I can tell you lots more, but that would be somewhere else on this forum.

Climate change or not: a fact is that super-hot days are stacking up over the last few years. They follow quicker and quicker.

In the Summer of 2018, my oldest son and I travelled through large parts of NW Europe. Rostock, Kiel, Plymouth, Gdansk. The grass outside our country was not even yellow anymore. It was brown or there was no grass at all! Even close to the Ost See; all was scorched. We went to Plymouth late July. Belgium was brown, France, Wiltshire and the area around Essex. But the weather was fine there: on the water 23, 24C. On land it was easily 10C hotter. Long term staff of the UK Laser Open told us that '... every single event in the past 25 yrs had an off-day due to rain or storm! Not this year...' At the same time, it was 40C in the Netherlands...

I also remember telling (here?) that I'll always remember the scenery of the brown/yellow Devonian hills with green patches. And the answer came: "It shouldn't be yellow. It should be green with dark green patches!"

We're about to hit high 30s on Tuesday, perhaps even hitting the 40s. Last May, in New York, inside an Uber, I watched the outside temp meter hit 107F when being driven through Queens from Midtown to the airport. 107F is 41C. In May...

The trees in my forest are suffering. A lot! Spruce trees and birches are suffering the most. Spruce trees are dried-out on the sandy soil and are then eaten by bark beetles (Ips Typographus). I have to get them felled before they fall over and knock down other trees. True, I can have them cut in planks for building purposes. I can make some money. But I don't own my own forest for the building trade! I have no idea what to do to get that right again.

We haven't had serious rain since the first week of... March. True, some wet days. But mainly drizzle or a shower. And yes. Severe thunderstorms. Lasting about 20mins, dumping loads of water. But that's not enough.

My b'day is in May. And the weather on the 13th has always been 'above par' so to speak (I even looked it up a few years ago). This year I told my wife that the perfect weather on my b'day would be lots and lots of rain. 24 or 36 hrs. At least. Well, it was dry and sunny.
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th July 2022 at 21:56.

Master
    Taking a long-view, the scientific evidence is clear enough that the the globe is coming out of an unusually colder spell

On a shorter timescale, the oscillations since the end of the last Ice Age match notable times in human history. We're in an upcycle within an overall upwards trend.

Last edited by J J Carter; 15th July 2022 at 23:26.

It will be 18 degrees C in Shetland on Tuesday (hottest day this year I think) according to the Met Office. Fortunately, in the cooling breeze it will feel like 16 degrees C. You can keep your high temps as I was never happy in them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Previously over many millennia, not decades.

How can people be so stupid?
    Not always milennia.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief. No wonder the planets f*cked.
    I don’t think understanding that these cycles exist is actually putting the planet at risk.
    Probably not understanding they could have a cumulative effect along with man made effects does though.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/ccrc/educatio...climate-cycles
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 15th July 2022 at 23:30.

Grand Master
    OK, it’s going to get a bit warm for a couple of days, just like being overseas on holiday..........just deal with it! Can’t see why it’s such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    Genealogists using DNA have estimated that at one time the total of homo sapiens on earth was just 12,000.
    That’s an interesting fact but wouldn’t there have been fewer in previous generations)?

Certainly interesting stuff, to me anyway!

Blog Entries
    Apparently it may not be new that it's changing rapidly.

"As a consequence, the data leads us to believe that climate change was always much slower in geological history than it is today, even when the greatest catastrophes occurred. However, that is not the case,' Prof. Kießling says. If we consider these scaling effects, the temperate increase over the Permian-Triassic boundary was no different to current climate change in terms of speed."

But no less dangerous apparently.

"The increase in temperature during this event is associated with a mass extinction event during which 90 percent of marine animals died out."

https://phys.org/news/2015-11-global-fast-today.html

Master
    50 Years of Failed Eco-pocalyptic Predictions

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-...c-predictions/

Master
    Will invest in some new flip flops. Job done.

Our new extension has just been plastered and I'm aiming to get a mist coat applied on Monday or Tuesday. So I'll welcome this latest warm snap with open arms.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It can cure too rapid. No 2-pack epoxy floor for me next week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Will invest in some new flip flops. Job done.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Climate change politics aside, this is yet another example of a media created frenzy. The pandemic really strengthened their grip on the population and now we react to their whim. Daily Mail really has a lot to account for as I feel their sensational "news" creation has really influenced other sources.

Look at what they are running with in their top story right now...."Thousands will die on Monday and Tuesday".

The pandemic really strengthened their grip on the population and now we react to their whim
    Who is this “we”?

What absolute tosh on this thread.

There's no question that the elderly, young and infirm could (and in some cases will) be at risk from 40 degree heat. I'd rather there was too much information and support for them than too little.