closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So it’s going to get hot - big deal

I'm thankful for it. It's given awareness to employees and the responsibility of care their employers have to ensure they're safe.

That level of heat can be extremely dangerous; our infrastructure and lots of older buildings are simply not designed with this sort of consistent heat in mind.

It's a major risk to the elderly, young and unwell, so hopefully this campaign will mean others are looking out for those they know are at greater risk.

Read up on the 2003 heatwave and what happened in France in particular. Thankfully we don't look to be heading for 40c over multiple days and nights, but it's worth not dismissing the concerns outright.

Master
    There was an old couple in our little cul de sac who must have been 90 if they were a day. Sadly they are now both deceased. One of the neighbours called round during a hot spell a few years ago to see if they were ok and they both took it as an insult and told him to bugger off.

It's an awkward issue.

Well it's scorching down here in Surrey, the lawns are yellow and I can't remember the last time it rained. Ridiculous temperatures forecast for early next week.

I was a a bit of a climate change unbeliever in the past but all the global weather disasters that are reported on a now weekly basis have changed my mind.

Flooding has certainly increased in this country in recent years.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Ho hum. Met office predicting we’ll reach 20 c here in Argyll on Monday. Time to take off my jumper and wellies.

Master
    You can shove this heatwave up your arse. I’m hating every minute of it.

Master
    Some interesting stuff online about geo engineering although I’m no scientist to really understand it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Climate change politics aside, this is yet another example of a media created frenzy. The pandemic really strengthened their grip on the population and now we react to their whim. Daily Mail really has a lot to account for as I feel their sensational "news" creation has really influenced other sources.

Look at what they are running with in their top story right now...."Thousands will die on Monday and Tuesday".
    Not just the Mail apparently....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ted-to-hit-40c
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    My good grief, haven’t people got brains?
    Is that a rhetorical question??

Blog Entries
    As said, my wife and I visited NY in May, June when it was as hot there as it's forecasted here. She tried to learn me how to adapt (after all, she used to live in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan for a few years). She pointed towards a family obviously from one of those Asian countries. They were walking on the pavement and she asked me: "What are you doing wrong?" That was obvious: my movements, my pace was too high. She: "Adapt, lower your pace! You are a novice. Learn new things!"

That's what I will do; don't rush myself! Drink a lot.

Only this afternoon we discussed the situation above and we also discussed a holiday in Tuscany about 9 yrs ago. At a certain moment, the Volvo's outside temp gauge showed '52C'. The car had been standing in the sun on a new tarmac'ed parking, between hills... The moment I hit the ignition, the airco fan went into hyperdrive!

Not all homes in Tuscany appear to have airco. Main tactics there to fight the heat, is closing the windows, closing the curtains during the day. Open all when it cools down and let the air flow through the house. Like in Spain, there's no-one outside during the early afternoon hours.

And then there's the Noel Coward song with: '...only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.'
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th July 2022 at 17:11.

Master
    ............ and yet naked gardening is becoming more popular! Pass the shears and the sunscreen. The bush needs a trim! :)

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    ............ and yet naked gardening is becoming more popular! Pass the shears and the sunscreen. The bush needs a trim! :)

Be careful not to nip off your low hanging perennials.
    F.T.F.A.

I was going to start a thread in the BP about this, when something indifferent happens it turns into headline news with catastrophic predictions which is then followed by obvious pedantic advice, its nanny state over hyped media which now causes over reaction.

Problem is people now are being conditioned into this over reaction propaganda and the public now panic and follow like lemmings on this hype - loo rolls, pasta, petrol, even protests, if news gains social media traction then you can guarantee people will follow and act on it in negative ways.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Dead-heading now has a new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Now you're just whipping up wisteria

Blog Entries
    [/IM[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In Germany...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by thieuster; 17th July 2022 at 12:22.

Master
    I am an old man and I am loving this weather and would like to see it go on for several months. Some people will moan about anything.

Its not bad compared to other countries, we are just so used to being cold all the time

We also don’t tend to have air conditioning at home which makes these extremes more difficult. I enjoy the days but after a few hot, sleepless nights I turn into a bit of a grouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This type of weather is deadly for all those whose preservation instincts are impaired (old age, reduced mobility, mental health issues, etc.)
    Dehydration and heatstroke can affect absolutely everyone.
    When you see how this country comes to a standstill with a few snow flurries it is really worth making them aware of the dangers associated with this weather, even if the «*I’m all right Jack*» brigade takes offence.
    I predict babies and elderly deaths from the 2 causes mentioned, but also insolations, sunburns, possibly a few drownings due to cold shock response.
    Of course all the above is totally insignificant unless one of the victims is somebody you care about.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    We also don’t tend to have air conditioning at home which makes these extremes more difficult. I enjoy the days but after a few hot, sleepless nights I turn into a bit of a grouch!

Install ceiling fans, cheap to buy and run and just as effective. Be positive not a grouch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This type of weather is deadly for all those whose preservation instincts are impaired (old age, reduced mobility, mental health issues, etc.)
    Dehydration and heatstroke can affect absolutely everyone.
    When you see how this country comes to a standstill with a few snow flurries it is really worth making them aware of the dangers associated with this weather, even if the «*I’m all right Jack*» brigade takes offence.
    I predict babies and elderly deaths from the 2 causes mentioned, but also insolations, sunburns, possibly a few drownings due to cold shock response.
    Of course all the above is totally insignificant unless one of the victims is somebody you care about.
    We all know the climate is getting hotter so we need to do something about it. Whinging is pointless.

Good advice - but for the 3 nights every couple of years I’ve bought a portable air conditioner. For 362 days of the year I don’t need another thing to sweep clear of spiders webs!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    We all know the climate is getting hotter so we need to do something about it. Whinging is pointless.

Providing we follow pure science and not billionaires I am all for it. We already have Bill suggesting we should be shifting to synthetic beef for example Nice opportunity for the select few and their mates. One mans catastrophe and all that

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    ...snip

Problem is people now are being conditioned into this over reaction propaganda and the public now panic and follow like lemmings on this hype - loo rolls, pasta, petrol, even protests, if news gains social media traction then you can guarantee people will follow and act on it in negative ways.
    You forgot Moonswatches

Blog Entries
    I was going to start a thread in the BP about this, when something indifferent happens it turns into headline news with catastrophic predictions which is then followed by obvious pedantic advice, its nanny state over hyped media which now causes over reaction.

Absolutely as an aside i am just wondering which of the four horsemen of the apocalypse will show up first?
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Absolutely as an aside i am just wondering which of the four horsemen of the apocalypse will show up first?
    I think they are currently trying to stir up panic in the BP Covid thread so you'll find them there I reckon

Blog Entries
    The UK is responsible for 1% of global emissions. How do you suggest we 'do something about it'?

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have been out all day at a car show, before we went we shut all the blinds and windows, on our return this afternoon the whole house was cool. Simples.

Master
    Can’t harm anybody with a warning surely as if it saves a life or two then it’s done it’s job:)
    It is amazing that basics for survival aren’t common sense to everybody. A great example of this is people complaining about their weight when it’s pretty obvious that if you eat more calories than you use then you will put on weight and it may kill you. But sadly it takes a doctor to tell them that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The UK is responsible for 1% of global emissions. How do you suggest we 'do something about it'?
    I am referring to changing the way we live. Air con or fans in buildings, live like the people around the Med live. Change working hours if needs be and the times when you go out. Mad dogs and Englishmen etc.

Moaning about high temperatures is pointless as it is going to happen and you either adapt or suffer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So beautiful going for a little stroll this evening. The temperature was high but low enough not to sweat. I'll be trying to stay out the crazy heat but lap it up in the evenings. Need to get some pizza dough made up...

there will be a twitter/facebook/media/G&D meltdown when it ends up being 38-39° and not 40°
    some will feel they have been proved right about climate change, most will totally miss the point and fail to recognise this fact that this will be one of the coolest summers of the decade...

Blog Entries
    I am referring to changing the way we live. Air con or fans in buildings, live like the people around the Med live. Change working hours if needs be and the times when you go out. Mad dogs and Englishmen etc.

Moaning about high temperatures is pointless as it is going to happen and you either adapt or suffer.
    How many days a year are temperatures going to be this high?

5? 10? 14?

What about the other 345 odd days a year when it's not that hot?

Master
    We haven't been abroad since Covid, so I'm just treating it like a holiday abroad. Working fine so far, apart from not having a pool (but I'm only five minutes walk from the sea!). Must get on to Amazon to top up my Ouzo and Metaxa. The mint is growing well in the garden so the Spanakopita is sorted!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How many days a year are temperatures going to be this high?

5? 10? 14?

What about the other 345 odd days a year when it's not that hot?
    Good point, as climate change is solely about why we don't have Mediterranean weather in the UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    We haven't been abroad since Covid, so I'm just treating it like a holiday abroad. Working fine so far, apart from not having a pool (but I'm only five minutes walk from the sea!). Must get on to Amazon to top up my Ouzo and Metaxa. The mint is growing well in the garden so the Spanakopita is sorted!

Spanakopita, yum!

Master
    I don't care about the heat for myself, even though I'm no fan of it... more concerned for my two year olds. Their bedroom was 28 centigrade last night... little chance to cool it today and I can't even imagine how hot it'll be tonight. I think I am going to have to buy an air conditioner going forward just for these odd days / weeks when the weather is so insane, just to give them a chance of not roasting to death in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I don't care about the heat for myself, even though I'm no fan of it... more concerned for my two year olds. Their bedroom was 28 centigrade last night... little chance to cool it today and I can't even imagine how hot it'll be tonight. I think I am going to have to buy an air conditioner going forward just for these odd days / weeks when the weather is so insane, just to give them a chance of not roasting to death in their sleep.
    Downstairs (if you have one) not cooler?

Master
    It is but we don't have any blackout blinds and the like down here so not sure how well they'll sleep but.. yeah, might be the way to go.

Seems to be a lot of flippant remarks about the heat, yet when there was no warning about the hurricane Mr Fish failed to report, everyone was up in arms over it because of the damage it caused to property. That was just a gale lasting hours.
    This is heat and just as deadly.
    There will be deaths, drownings, heat stroke, driving accidents (dehydration) dogs dying etc so fair warning by the Met Office.
    Yes it's common sense, but given the millions of non take up of vaccines, it doesn't surprise me that there will be suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Seems to be a lot of flippant remarks about the heat, yet when there was no warning about the hurricane Mr Fish failed to report, everyone was up in arms over it because of the damage it caused to property. That was just a gale lasting hours.
    There will be deaths, drownings, heat stroke, driving accidents (dehydration) dogs dying etc so fair warning by the Met Office.
    Yes it's common sense, but given the millions of non take up of vaccines, it doesn't surprise me that there will be suffering.
    Well said Rod,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Totally agree.

100% and needlessly if notice was taken of the warnings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryip88 View Post
    We work in an air conditioned modern building in London, and yet, we have colleagues demanding and moaning that they should be allowed to work from home due to the hot weather. But why? i just don't understand the rationale.
    Probably because the trains and the underground are absolute misery in hot weather, as well as less reliable.

So it’s going to get hot - big deal

Big difference between a full force hurricane and a hot spell, hurricane and high winds cause damage and death by power which are often unavoidable, the heat causes people to do stupid things like wild swimming with little experience, taking dogs for a walk in the heat of the day or worse leaving them in cars.

Educating stupid is difficult but I suppose if it’s rammed down our throats it might stop the odd idiot ’jumping in a weeded up quarry.

As you say common sense should prevail but unfortunately people now need to be told how to handle obvious situations - nanny state!

Big difference between a full force hurricane and a hot spell, hurricane and high winds cause damage and death by power which are often unavoidable, the heat causes people to do stupid things like wild swimming with little experience, taking dogs for a walk in the heat of the day or worse leaving them in cars.

Educating stupid is difficult but I suppose if it’s rammed down our throats it might stop the odd idiot ’jumping in a weeded up quarry.

As you say common sense should prevail but unfortunately people now need to be told how to handle obvious situations - nanny state!
    Not really, just catering to the lowest common denominators in society,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

The millions who have not taken the vaccine must be regretting it now! thick bastards

The last time we had conditions like this thousands died. Thousands are likely to die this week.

I know a certain fraternity don't care about the elderly or those unlucky to have a "pre-existing conditions" but normal people see a health crisis and want to be informed.

We have vulnerable neighbours so we're having them round for lunch and dinner to enjoy our aircon.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately dogs die in hot cars every summer. Simply because people are thick. No doubt there will be some more during this heatwave. It really boils my...

What absolute rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    https://www.healthline.com/health/sy...y#risk-factors

In case you can't be bothered to read this.... The elderly, for several reasons are a group most likely to be dehydrated in normal weather and are more
    at risk of serious medical conditions as a result.
    The awareness propagated by the media may achieve a reduction in deaths/serious illness in this group. Thereby keeping them out of overcrowded hospitals.
    It may also cause neighbours to take an interest in their welfare.

Any carer for the elderly will confirm that it's common for an older person to have no idea when they last had a drink, they don't have the same 'thirst response as younger people ...it's part of their working practice to make sure the client is hydrated and has access to water.

Similarly a small child is at increased risk during hot weather.

Hope that's enough common sense for you.
    Precisely.