closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is it reasonable to spend on a holiday?

How much is it reasonable to spend on a holiday?

I'm not looking for numbers or holidays to mark special occasions (retirement, marriage, divorce), but just an idea for a regular fortnight away in the sun.

I ask as things seem to have got a bit pricey.

We typically go with friends and split costs, and the one being proposed for this year (villa in Portugal, flights, car all with one company so have cover if flights cancelled), outside school holiday time is looking like it'll cost between a months, and about a month and a half's take home.

That feels like a lot.

Am I out of touch?

Blog Entries
    ‘Prices are up for flying and accomodation prices stay the same. Provided you do not need extra gas/electrics (airco…)’ according to my oldest who’s searching high and low for a sun-beach holiday somewhere in Europe in late August.

Pretty volatile if you ask me. Count that in when you split costs.

Rentals are expensive as well. Fleet owners sold a lot during Covid and new cars are hard to find. Although that will not be a problem in September, October, I think.

Looked at doing ferry instead of fly & car hire and not a lot in it.

Problem with that now is that all cabins have gone and spending a couple of nights without a bed may negate the effect of the holiday

Master
    Blog Entries
    Book car hire through one of the comparison sites. Most have free cancellation up to 24hrs before. We did this, then checked 3 days agoi and price had gone down by £500, so cancelled and rebooked it at the lower price.

Flights are a bit pricey but again with all the bad publicity some are getting discounted.

Accomodation seems much the same price as normal to me.

Master
    Different costs depending on what people want out of a holiday. Aside from any other holiday we go to Crete twice a year. Accommodation is €50-60 a night (for a decent size apartment with shared pool). Flights are then on top and are more expensive this year but flights to Faro would be quite a bit cheaper. Fly midweek rather than weekends and tends to be cheaper and quieter. Current prices to Crete are around £250 each and a small hire car is £400 for 14 days.
    So £1600 for two for two weeks in September. We would only hire a car for two three days so £1400.
    Portugal is probably more expensive on accommodation but flights may be a little cheaper.

Master
    We have a 3 bed villa in Spain with sea views and a pool and the going rate for a weeks rent is 1000 euros per week and we have even had agents knocking on the door trying to get us to rent.

We said no because we don't want strangers farting on our sofas and in our beds.

I would stay well away from apartments because you will be sharing the block with loads of rather noisy people who will be coming and going all hours.

The going rate for a Fiat 500 was 600 euros in May was 600 euros but that did include full insurance / no excess which you need to take out.

The beer is still cheap but restaurant prices have shot up by about 25% over last year.

Master
    We’re not long back from Portugal, 7 days in a quite nice kid oriented hotel, all inclusive — complete package £1800 inc flights & transfers

I didn’t think it was overly expensive but it was our first family holiday away, so not much to compare to

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    an idea for a regular fortnight away in the sun.

looking like it'll cost between a months, and about a month and a half's take home.
    That’s about what we just paid for a fortnight in Spain. Definitely cheaper if you book flights and rental separately. In resort spends have rocketed this year too.

YOLO and enjoy

Craftsman
    Me the Mrs and our daughter were looking to get away Scottish half term in October. 1 week in Cala d’ Or from Edinburgh was £2300, same holiday leaving from Manchester was £1200 as the English half term doesn’t start until a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Me the Mrs and our daughter were looking to get away Scottish half term in October. 1 week in Cala d’ Or from Edinburgh was £2300, same holiday leaving from Manchester was £1200 as the English half term doesn’t start until a week later.
    Colleagues from Aberdeen office always drive to an English airport for October half term to save £££££££.

Master
    We are about a month and a half take home of mine for our holidays. We tried spending less, but ended up surrounded by people we’d rather not.

We now upgrade room and flights, as reduces the overall feeling of chaos or being crammed in. The Virgin upper experience was the most amazingly calm experience from LHR recently. Return leg less so as you didn’t get the whole private security screening and lounge.

Tend to drop another few £k on a city break as well just to get away and have a staycation in September, but that gets expensive quickly too

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We are about a month and a half take home of mine for our holidays. We tried spending less, but ended up surrounded by people we’d rather not.
    Don't blame you, imagine booking time off work only to end up sat next to Mick P in Benidorm.

I'm not looking for numbers or holidays to mark special occasions (retirement, marriage, divorce), but just an idea for a regular fortnight away in the sun.

I ask as things seem to have got a bit pricey.

We typically go with friends and split costs, and the one being proposed for this year (villa in Portugal, flights, car all with one company so have cover if flights cancelled), outside school holiday time is looking like it'll cost between a months, and about a month and a half's take home.

That feels like a lot.

Am I out of touch?
    £5k for a week in Malta for 2 adults and 2 kids! To be fair we booked late and it was May half term.
    Last edited by dougair; 16th July 2022 at 14:37.

We're looking at either France, in a mobile on a campsite or a gites, for about £1300-£1500, then tunnel and petrol on top, so probably about £2k all in without spends.

Alternatively, we're considering a cottage in Cornwall for 13 nights at £2,300, not including petrol from London and spends.

It's all about £500 more than we've previously spent but that's how it is this year.

I'm not helping myself by discovering that a nice AirBnB in Barbados isn't that much more than a villa in Cyprus or Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Not worth the risk. You might end up holidaying with the likes of me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Don't blame you, imagine booking time off work only to end up sat next to Mick P in Benidorm.
    Haha I didn’t know he had a place in Spain. He never mentions it!

Master
    Not worth the risk. You might end up holidaying with the likes of me!
    From your posts and sense of humour I would actually enjoy that! Especially is the sister is there too, we could spend any an hour at the bar discussing and watching!

Were off in mid August- 10 day cruise around the Canary Islands -Madeira-Spain and all in with tips and drinks paid in advance it was £2600 for the 2 of us.

Master
    We are starting to change it up now our daughter is getting older (she is now 8). We have gone to Disney in Florida most years and for 3 of us with 1 week out of school term and 1 week in school holidays it’s about 7-8k. That’s not on Disney property.

We are off to Dubai next April for 3.5k for 6 nights, we did use many many BA air miles to get this price.

The following year we looking at all 4* all inclusive hotel in Italy for 7 days and that will be about 3.5k.

Looking forward to not being forced to holiday over school holiday times but that’s a decade away for us.

Master

I used to budget 6K on a holiday for 5 of us about 5 yrs ago
    Always South of France orAlgarve with a nice villa shared with sisters lot.
    The flights to Faro for 5 of us were just over 1K

In Portugal at the moment on last minute booking and apartments have really shot up this year and flights too so yeh I’d say 20-25% up
    Glad it’s only 3 of us this time.
    Cheapest 6 day car hire we got at airport was £260 for a small 4 seater
    Car parking at Edinburgh £120 for 6 days-that’s shot up
    At least this year I’ve remembered adaptor plugs so that’s saved a tenner
    Small victories and all that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post

Looking forward to not being forced to holiday over school holiday times but that’s a decade away for us.
    In a decade from now there will be more retirees than there will be school kids. Its will be more crowded and pricier than ever before.

PS. I don't care because I shall be plucking a harp with a halo above my head.

Craftsman
    Mr & Mrs V usually have an all inclusive to Mexico, Jamaica, Cape Verde or Gambia and it’s around 4K for 2 weeks. 4 or 5 star hotels. We like to be extra lazy on holidays so CBA going on trips anywhere, just be fat around the pool or on the beach.
    Been looking at Egypt mid November, if we did go then would like to go and see those pyramid things, that would be the only trip out.
    We do have a place in north eastern Thailand but it’s a really small village and the nearest beach is far far away. I quite enjoy to stay there for a couple of weeks and it’s really cheap to buy food and drinks.
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    No more than you can afford
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blimey, it soon adds up. I remember taking the family to Mauritius a few years ago for about £3000.

We paid £650 for a self catering place in The Lakes a couple of weeks ago and probably spent about £500 more on fuel, days out, meals, etc.

Just two of us, so would be a bit more for 4, apartment was only for 2, for example.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Just spoke to the neighbours who went to Butlins for some reason. Really wasn't for them and they came home early. A lot of AM drinking and Burberry baseball camps.

I'd say they'll spend more next year.

We were in the Algarve in March. Two weeks B&B in a reasonable hotel was about £1.3k. We spent about £100 a day on a light lunch, refreshments & a decent evening meal. Total spend - £2.7k. Reasonable.

We were in Fuerteventura in June. Two weeks AI in a 4 star was £2.5k for the two of us. Again, reasonable.

We want to go to the Algarve in early/mid- September. I'm not prepared to pay almost £2.5k for B&B plus (at least) £100 per diem, so we'll be going later in the month & spill over into October when prices are much more friendly.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    March next year we are doing a Cruise fly to Sydney 3 nights Celebrity Eclipse 21 nights taking in NZ then French Polynesia islands finishing off in Hawaii for 4 nights includes all flights meals and all drinks on board Mid ship Balcony B&B in Sydney and room only Hawaii. All for the grand sum of £5.5k per person. Great value for money

Good old days when £99 got you a holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

PS. I don't care because I shall be plucking a harp with a halo above my head.
    Or gone to the hot place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just spoke to the neighbours who went to Butlins for some reason. Really wasn't for them and they came home early. A lot of AM drinking and Burberry baseball camps.

I'd say they'll spend more next year.
    Christ
    That was my first ever boys holiday
    6th year at school
    Down to Butlins in Barry Island
    Absolutely brilliant but I was 17

Wasn't South Beach but great at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Christ
    That was my first ever boys holiday
    6th year at school
    Down to Butlins in Barry Island
    Absolutely brilliant but I was 17

Wasn't South Beach but great at the time.
    Was there when I was 7 or 8. Street fighter on the arcade was like crack. Put all my coins in at the start to hog the machine then didn't want to go toilet and lose my money. Full on pissed my pants but kept on playing.

Master
    I took a flyer on a cheap deal in early May.
    My son's at Uni in September, so it was quite possibly our last holiday together as a family.
    We went to a resort in the South of Menorca and stayed at a Hotel complex all inclusive £1,500 inc flights all in for three of us in a two bed apartment.
    It's the first time I've booked an all inclusive holiday, but overall can't complain. Plenty of food/drink - not fantastic but ok and lots of choice. Apartment was very nice and exceptionally clean.

When we arrived and for the first couple of days, it was clear that they had only just opened for the season and the place was only sparsely populated, but as the week progressed it gradually filled up.
    There were a lot of families with small children and generally it wasn't a problem, but as the week went on, the restaurant became gradually more and more busy and louder with screaming kids.
    Generally, it was a pretty good deal, but I was relieved that I hadn't booked it later in the season as we generally prefer something a littler quieter and better standard of food.

I'm looking at the moment at booking something later in October/November - possibly the Caribbean as it's my wife's 60th this year and the prices are different level altogether!

If you are worried about cost, I'd get that big holiday in now. I suspect airlines can currently operate at price levels based on hedged oil prices. Once that protection is lost, I suspect air fares will rise dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    If you are worried about cost, I'd get that big holiday in now. I suspect airlines can currently operate at price levels based on hedged oil prices. Once that protection is lost, I suspect air fares will rise dramatically.
    Pretty sure it’s a lock, even the Ryanair blokes said they’ve been too cheap for too long, never mind long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    No more than you can afford
    This.

We usually do a short break in April / May & 2 weeks in September. For the 2 week holiday £2,500 to £3,500 for the two of us gets us somewhere pretty nice in Turkey / Greece all inclusive.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think they have risen already. I have to go to Boston for work at the end of next week. £1835 return, never known it as dear as that.

As an aside I can wholeheartedly recommend Airportr if you are using BA from Heathrow. They pick up your bags the night before and check them in so you avoid the baggage queue, they automatically get priority handling so they come out first, great updates. I paid £51 for 3 bags picked up from Kingston and going to Heathrow and can simply head to security tomorrow

Really depends on what a month and a half of take home is; could be £1500, could be £10,000; assuming you aren’t a footballer. I have just got back from a very nice 12 night All Inc in Mauritius at around £2k per person, but not long ago was at a nice AirB&B in Norfolk for £65/night. A few years ago we were in the Maldives and I just priced it at £7830/person. Like everything, costs have risen enormously, I just found the cheapest return flights to Spain in September at £128/person, it wasn’t long ago it cost half that. Prices are high and likely to keep rising sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Really depends on what a month and a half of take home is; could be £1500, could be £10,000; assuming you aren’t a footballer. I have just got back from a very nice 12 night All Inc in Mauritius at around £2k per person, but not long ago was at a nice AirB&B in Norfolk for £65/night. A few years ago we were in the Maldives and I just priced it at £7830/person. Like everything, costs have risen enormously, I just found the cheapest return flights to Spain in September at £128/person, it wasn’t long ago it cost half that. Prices are high and likely to keep rising sadly.
    There are good deals out there, we just returned from the Maldives, 10 days for 4 of us (2 girls 7 and 5), all inclusive, beach villa with a pool for around £7500. We did go in June though, so in term time. It was for my 40th so we would not normally spend that much on a holiday, but it was worth it. The girls swam with turtles on a few occasions, one day we ended up snorkelling with 6 black tip reef sharks for about an hour. Got loads of great videos, pictures and memoires, its a holiday we will never forget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I took a flyer on a cheap deal in early May.
    My son's at Uni in September, so it was quite possibly our last holiday together as a family.
    We went to a resort in the South of Menorca and stayed at a Hotel complex all inclusive £1,500 inc flights all in for three of us in a two bed apartment.
    It's the first time I've booked an all inclusive holiday, but overall can't complain. Plenty of food/drink - not fantastic but ok and lots of choice. Apartment was very nice and exceptionally clean.

When we arrived and for the first couple of days, it was clear that they had only just opened for the season and the place was only sparsely populated, but as the week progressed it gradually filled up.
    There were a lot of families with small children and generally it wasn't a problem, but as the week went on, the restaurant became gradually more and more busy and louder with screaming kids.
    Generally, it was a pretty good deal, but I was relieved that I hadn't booked it later in the season as we generally prefer something a littler quieter and better standard of food.

I'm looking at the moment at booking something later in October/November - possibly the Caribbean as it's my wife's 60th this year and the prices are different level altogether!
    If you don't like screaming kids Spain will be bad during July and August when the touristas come over in their millions. The other ten months are fairly quiet.

You soon get to know which areas do the tourista slop and those with the better standards. Anything directly on the coast is best avoided and anything more than 5 miles inland is usually good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Madness.

We went to Cala d’Or in June. Been plenty of times before. Really pleasant place but just wish the food was better. Got the bus to Palma one of the days and spent hours in a market and a decent restaurant to knock the edge of the food there haha.

In terms or what to spend, I always think about this in terms of household income.

We are going to the US/Hawaii in Sep. Have managed to do it (with provisional spending money estimate) for 1.3x our monthly household take home. Probably over the year spend around two months take home on various holidays. Seems excessive and will have to cut down when we move house but for now just enjoying it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As an aside I can wholeheartedly recommend Airportr if you are using BA from Heathrow. They pick up your bags the night before and check them in so you avoid the baggage queue, they automatically get priority handling so they come out first, great updates. I paid £51 for 3 bags picked up from Kingston and going to Heathrow and can simply head to security tomorrow
    Thanks for that, one to remember in the future. The Virgin Upper experience in May was wonderful, private check in and security. Briefly mingled with others getting through tax free shopping before drinking champagne in an Eames lounge chair until our flight.

Was not a cheap trip to NYC but was by far the most enjoyable travel I have experienced. And to think 7yrs ago my wife had to force me to upgrade to Premium Economy!

I'm in Morzine right now for 2 weeks.
    2 adults 2 kids aged 8+10
    Flights £550 booked a long time ago, watching the Easyjet website for release.
    Car hire £650 which is for 50% more than usual.
    Accom would be £200/night in a self cater appt, so £2800.
    Food with a mix of self cater and meals out is about £70/day, so £1000.

Total £5k but I pay no accom, as the appt is mine.

This is our cheap holiday We've spent too much on a house rebuild!
    Usually £7-8k on a Greek villa, you're gonna hate this, sometimes we tag on a week in Morzine to the Greek villa. Nothing better than not flying home but going on to another destination. Flights come to about the same price!

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    There are good deals out there, we just returned from the Maldives, 10 days for 4 of us (2 girls 7 and 5), all inclusive, beach villa with a pool for around £7500. We did go in June though, so in term time. It was for my 40th so we would not normally spend that much on a holiday, but it was worth it. The girls swam with turtles on a few occasions, one day we ended up snorkelling with 6 black tip reef sharks for about an hour. Got loads of great videos, pictures and memoires, its a holiday we will never forget.
    Did you get a Headmistress Lecture when you got back? I can't take the kids out of school in term time anymore. It's just a no-no in a small (excellent) school.

Thanks to this stupid thread I've just changed our booking (for the last two weeks of September) from an Air BnB in Los Cristianos to the Jardines de Nivaria in Adeje. Doubled the cost in one fell swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Did you get a Headmistress Lecture when you got back? I can't take the kids out of school in term time anymore. It's just a no-no in a small (excellent) school.
    Same, it’s a big no-no.

Luckily ours break up two weeks before the vast majority of schools so we still get away while relatively quiet.

Grand Master
    For me travel is priceless and always a good investment. Couldn’t care less if I spend £1000 or £10000 its always worth it for the memory and experience. So many trinkets have come and gone but I remember each and every vacation / adventure. As I get older I tend to indulge in a more pleasant transit with everything from Airport parking to lounges to good flight times with a decent hotel but not too much emphasis on where I will only sleep.
    RIAC

Deleted
    Last edited by RobDad; 24th July 2022 at 15:37.

Grand Master
    Spending depends how much of a premium you place on holidays, since I retired I’ve become less enthusiastic and that’s partly due to the getting away from work factor being removed, retirement us like a ling holiday in itself.

I’ve generally found that expensive holidays have been more disappointing than the budget- priced ones. Until the travel situation returns to pre- covid normality I’ve no urge to endure delays and overcrowded airports, I’ll give it a miss (again) this year.