closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How long for buyer to pay/get in touch?

How long for buyer to pay/get in touch?

I sold my dreadnought on sales corner on Tuesday, buyer pm’d me within minutes of writing the advert saying he’d take it. A message a few minutes later saying he’d pay shortly and give me his address. I followed up yesterday and again today but no reply. How long before I assume it’s not happening and sell to someone else? I hope nothing has happened to him, but given i can only contact here, there must be a line when too long is too long?

What do you think on this one?

Grand Master
    I would give him 7 days, if there's no response sell to someone else.

I sometimes have this problem with repair jobs, someone will agree to send me a watch after exchanging a couple of PMs, I give out my address then I hear nothing and the watch doesn't arrive. Not quite the same but still annoying, if someone changes their mind about having a watch fixed or (in your case) buying the watch all it takes is an e-mail or PM to communicate, failing to do so is ill-mannered to say the least.

Two days seems fair enough

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I'd check feedback if there's some and its good, i'd say 3-4 days. Message after 48hrs, could give another 36/48 hrs after that.

Oh, and check their profile to see if they've been on the site :-)

I certainly wouldn't give it 7 days. 3 days max then relist it.

7 days???

One more day tops IMO. In fact, that's longer than I'd wait.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th July 2022 at 06:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I certainly wouldn't give it 7 days. 3 days max then relist it.
    Agreed. Message to the member that said they would take it to say I’m waiting for your payment, if nothing received in three days; it’s back on sale .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I cannot see why it should be any longer than 24 hours. If they were keen enough to message twice in minutes, why not pay in minutes also? Maybe it’s just me but if you say you want it and you say you will pay, do as you say and don’t dilly dally over it.

I give 24 hours. Anywhere in the world and 24 hours is long enough

When I was selling watches. An international buyer emails when I'm asleep and I email back when he's asleep, so I give a reasonable amount of time to reply

Anything more and item sold to the next buyer

DON

I had this recently and asked the same question, I am pretty sure that I gave around a week and sent multiple messages and never received a reply to any of them, even to say they had a change of heart, I wouldn’t do that again. I think 24 hours should be plenty for a purchase, after all you do know that you’ve just agreed to buy it and the seller will be waiting for the next step to commence. That said, I would probably go 2-3 days, just in case there are extenuating circumstances.

Did they commit to buy it of an evening by chance? A couple of drams may have helped convince them, which have since worn off and they've had second thoughts.

I'd only give 24hrs max. If I agree a sale, the money is transferred almost immediately and if I can't I'll PM the seller why.
    It's only courteous. It's rude not to.

The other thing is, is that very little sold/offered on SC is particularly rare.

So if a buyer missed out on item A due to poor comms and slow payment, they don't need to be too upset, as another similar/same item will be along in a few days/weeks etc

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Personally I cannot see why it should be any longer than 24 hours. If they were keen enough to message twice in minutes, why not pay in minutes also? Maybe it’s just me but if you say you want it and you say you will pay, do as you say and don’t dilly dally over it.
    I agree with this. Unless they specifically confirmed the payment will follow in x hours/days, I would pay straight away and would expect the same if I was receiving.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If they have not responded back in 36 hrs they ain’t getting it

I’m also of the opinion that if I say I’ll take something I’ll pay there and then unless I agree with the seller to delay or defer for some reason. Anyway, it’s coming up 3 days so decided to post it up for sale again as no reply to my last 2 messages and no other means of contacting them.

You don't know why they've stopped responding. It could be that they have had a change of heart, it could be that they have had a family tragedy or been taken ill.
    I'd give them 7 days, it's polite and costs you nothing. If your item sold once on SC, it will sell again.

That said, if there is any hint of account activity within that time and still no contact, then I would relist the item immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    You don't know why they've stopped responding. It could be that they have had a change of heart, it could be that they have had a family tragedy or been taken ill.
    I'd give them 7 days, it's polite and costs you nothing. If your item sold once on SC, it will sell again.

That said, if there is any hint of account activity within that time and still no contact, then I would relist the item immediately.
    I do agree with this, and that’s why I said I hope all is well. Also they may work away, have family issues etc so I want to be as fair as possible. To me though if someone can spot an advert and reply in minutes, it would then seem curious timing to go several days without even a message.

Seen this before on the forum and the delay was a message in drafts they thought they sent, bad news in the family, even went to a wedding and got absolutely smashed and forgot they’d half bought a watch.

Check their profile and see when they were last active.

How long you give it depends on how much/soon you want the money. I’d give a couple of days or a week depending on that.