closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skip Finds

Master
    Blog Entries

Skip Finds

My friend runs a skip business and every so often he comes across some interesting watches.

This time it is this Oris.

Anyone know anything about it?

Nice find! I can't walk past a skip without a glance inside.
    I'd have a real problem if I had my own skip business, be going through each with a fine tooth combe lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'd have a real problem if I had my own skip business, be going through each with a fine tooth combe lol.
    He use to just give bags of them away. But then I went through one bad and it had two omegas in.

Im always surprised at stuff I see when doing a tip run, most of the time its not accessible, but a few weeks ago I saw what looked like the contents of a 'man drawer' right near the top, cables, ear buds, lots of loose change, and half a dozen Thai banknotes, I got those and did the conversion and there was about £30 worth.

There are a few skip diving YouTube channels out there but you never know if they are legit or set up, there have been some crazy finds.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Sorry buddy, just spent 20 mins surfing google images for:

vintage oris watch
    70's oris watch +orange second hand

And didn't find anything that looked like the one your mate found.

Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I'm sure someone else will be able to ID it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    He use to just give bags of them away. But then I went through one bad and it had two omegas in.
    Blimey!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    A relative of mine used to refer to it as “skip truffling” which always stuck with me as it made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post

vintage oris watch

It definitely looks like one of those dodgy Indian fakes - probably with a ST96-4 movement inside.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 12th July 2022 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    A relative of mine used to refer to it as “skip truffling” which always stuck with me as it made me chuckle.
    Lol, I've always referred to it as 'skip diving', but truffling definitely trumps that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These were the omegas

I must admit I have a glance in a skip if I pass one. I did pick up a couple of old Oxo tins recently.

A couple of years back I was in Rye and the workmen were clearing out an old hotel prior to renovation.

Their skip was full of old framed prints etc etc and people were diving in and taking it away.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Never rummaged through a skip myself, but the amount of stuff I've put into them over the years that has subsequently been removed has been an eye-opener!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post

vintage oris watch

That was my assumption as well. Indian Ebay special (although they also appear to be available from Pakistan).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I've got a vague recollection of an antiques roadshow from about 20 years ago of a family who had the local rubbish tip concession. The table was awash with jewellery that made you think "what idiot threw that away".

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    These were the omegas

We need to know more about these!

Sent them off to the service centre and they came back like new I hope!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I've got a vague recollection of an antiques roadshow from about 20 years ago of a family who had the local rubbish tip concession. The table was awash with jewellery that made you think "what idiot threw that away".
    I vividly remember that episode, the lady was very defensive and made sure it was known it was legitimately hers after it had been thrown away.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    We need to know more about these!

Sent them off to the service centre and they came back like new I hope!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Afraid not. He isn't a watch guy so he just sold them on eBay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 24hr numerals on the blue ‘seamaster’ are ropey. I don’t think that model had a bezel. No idea about the other but looks like it belonged in a skip!
    Pic stolen from
    OmegaForums

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    No idea about the other but looks like it belonged in a skip!
    Think it was once a Ref. 145.007 -

...but horribly fornicated-about with by someone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    The 24hr numerals on the blue ‘seamaster’ are ropey. I don’t think that model had a bezel. No idea about the other but looks like it belonged in a skip!
    Pic stolen from
    OmegaForums
    No for some reason who ever had them before had glued a bezel on! It pulled off pretty easily. Same with the strange number they had stuck on.

I don't have a photo after he took the bezel off but It didn't do any damage.

He was desperate to polish them up but I convinced him to just clean them with a toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    You'd be surprised.

A chap I used to know would turn up at Wimbledon dog track every Saturday morning with a Luton full of stuff which would be unloaded with punters falling over themselves to sort through it.

He had the rights to sorting through the tip and he turned up all sorts. He found an old Rolex bubble back in an old bureau and a friend of mine tried to buy it but he wouldn't sell.

Somebody else I know bought some watches from a tip mans hoard - 1000 watches for £1000!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This week's haul. Doesn't look like too many winners here:

I suppose it’s easy to have a go at those who throw things away as stupid etc, but we are in the process of clearing out the MILs house and also clearing our house as much as possible at the same time so we can downsize and move into her house and all the stuff from our 5 bed house simply won’t go into her bungalow.

You reach a point were you simply want rid of stuff, house clearance, donations to charity, tip runs, anything just to get rid of the stuff.

For example I loaded these two boxes with DVDs and CDs.

Most buyers now like Magpie will pay 0.01p each for them. I really cannot be bothered listing them on e-bay and having to do multiple trips to the PO for peanuts. So they will probably go to house clearance or charity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair it's a sizeable business and I think they have to go through the skips to check for certain things not being put in them. It's not him going through the skips.

He said he use to give sacks of them away but then after getting into watches a bit more he had a nosey and the two omegas were in there

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I suppose it’s easy to have a go at those who throw things away as stupid etc, but we are in the process of clearing out the MILs house and also clearing our house as much as possible at the same time so we can downsize and move into her house and all the stuff from our 5 bed house simply won’t go into her bungalow.

You reach a point were you simply want rid of stuff, house clearance, donations to charity, tip runs, anything just to get rid of the stuff.

For example I loaded these two boxes with DVDs and CDs.

Most buyers now like Magpie will pay 0.01p each for them. I really cannot be bothered listing them on e-bay and having to do multiple trips to the PO for peanuts. So they will probably go to house clearance or charity.

Some good albums there!

I've sorted through a few boxes of CD's that people were chucking out and found dozens of quality albums to add to my collection.

Probably best to take them to the charity shop though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Some good albums there!

I've sorted through a few boxes of CD's that people were chucking out and found dozens of quality albums to add to my collection.

Probably best to take them to the charity shop though.
    Back in the 90s when new CDs were £12 to £14 new, second hand record shops would give you £3 each and put them out at £6 each. Sadly those days are long gone, people below the age of 30 have probably never bought a CD or DVD, they think everything is free and don’t want the physical ownership cluttering up the place. I used to have hundreds of CDs, but I think my two don’t own a single CD between them.

Charity Shop is the best place for them, some old fart our age will go in for a rummage and cherry pick a few favourites from the batch.

Master
    Back in the 90s when new CDs were £12 to £14 new, second hand record shops would give you £3 each and put them out at £6 each. Sadly those days are long gone, people below the age of 30 have probably never bought a CD or DVD, they think everything is free and don’t want the physical ownership cluttering up the place. I used to have hundreds of CDs, but I think my two don’t own a single CD between them.
    I still have plenty of CDs but I have way more on Vinyl. My 26 year old daughter has started buying a few records but pays far too much imho. My son has Spotify

Charity Shop is the best place for them, some old fart our age will go in for a rummage and cherry pick a few favourites from the batch.
    I get encouraged by my wife to mooch through the vinyl and cds at charity shops she visits. Never once found anytime worth buying. I’m sure any good stuff rarely reaches the actual sales floor

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I get encouraged by my wife to mooch through the vinyl and cds at charity shops she visits. Never once found anytime worth buying. I’m sure any good stuff rarely reaches the actual sales floor
    I used to stumble on decent finds when I went to record fairs in the 80s and 90s. Found a 2nd press of Sgt Pepper by The Beatles that omitted A day in the life on the label for £25, that was worth about £150 at the time and I found a copy of The Who Sell Out at a Birmingham fair for £6 that had the original poster in it, which was another three figure album at the time.

Not found any bargains at Charity shops though.

Biggest bargain that I walked away from was a mail order only album issued by Track Records and quickly withdrawn ‘Who Did It’ by The Who which was £1.35 at the time, last copy on e-bay was listed at £700. At the time I didn’t know what it was so left it.

Master

Skip Finds

Got a couple of rarities album wise. Not by anything other than chance.

1st pressing of Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin. Bought a week or so after release. My first album purchase.

1st pressings of Highway to Hell and Back in Black - AC/DC. Both bought in release weeks.

Copy of Led Zeppelin 4 where the labels are on the wrong sides. Bought new in the late 70’s

Apologies for going off topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk