closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with vintage Rolex purchase

Master

Help with vintage Rolex purchase

Been offered the attached Rolex which matches my exact birthday. I'm not very knowledgeable on vintage watches so I'd welcome any opinions on the authenticity and box/paperwork. Screenshot_2022-07-11-20-37-36-809_com.gumtree.android.jpgScreenshot_2022-07-11-20-37-52-806_com.gumtree.android.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

Is it really from Gumtree?

Master
    And thisScreenshot_2022-07-11-20-38-03-640_com.gumtree.android.jpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Is it really from Gumtree?
    Yep. Which obviously makes it a bit less credible.

I recognise these photos, they (and the watch) belong to a good friend who stays locally (Lanarkshire)
    I seriously doubt he’d be selling so it’s a fraud.

Beware. I’ll let him know, please send me the direct link.
    Edit, I found it. Reported.
    Update, spoke to my friend, he confirms the photos are his, watch is in his possession and is definitely NOT for sale.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 12th July 2022 at 09:09. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I recognise these photos, they (and the watch) belong to a good friend who stays locally (Lanarkshire)

Update, spoke to my friend, he confirms the photos are his, watch is in his possession and is definitely NOT for sale.
    Outstanding bit of forum sleuthing, what are the odds of that

Good work! as a matter of interest, where did they lift the photos from?

Master

Thanks so much for that.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

The "seller" on Gumtree is clearly perpetrating a fraud. With the information in this thread alone, it would appear to be a rather easy case to prosecute. I'd be contacting Police Scotland and offer him up on a plate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The "seller" on Gumtree is clearly perpetrating a fraud. With the information in this thread alone, it would appear to be a rather easy case to prosecute. I'd be contacting Police Scotland and offer him up on a plate.
    What I don't understand is the exact nature of the scam. I was going to his house, so short of an actual attempt to assault and rob me, how was he going to get any money? It wasn't a postal offer.

Agreed but it’s up to the owner to report it I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What I don't understand is the exact nature of the scam. I was going to his house, so short of an actual attempt to assault and rob me, how was he going to get any money? It wasn't a postal offer.

Don’t get it either.
    I assumed he was asking for payment up front and was just gonna bump you.

Master
    Plenty ways to still scam you. Probably ask you for a deposit of some sort, then he gives you a random address to which you turn up and the person who answers the door has no clue what you are on about. If he does that to enough people, he makes a quick buck.

I would strongly advise against buying or even looking at Gumtree for vintage Rolex. You are only asking for trouble to which it seems you have now narrowly avoided.

Master
    Don’t get it either.
    I assumed he was asking for payment up front and was just gonna bump you.
    No, he gave me an address to visit today, no mention of watch being elsewhere or having to pay a certain way prior to inspection.

[QUOTE=stefmcd;6026531]What I don't understand is the exact nature of the scam. I was going to his house, so short of an actual attempt to assault and rob me, how was he going to get any money? It wasn't a postal offer./QUOTE]

Perhaps he was going to sell it to multiple people, or perhaps get your details for some other purpose? Perhaps, he just wasn't thinking it through :)

I am pleased you managed to avoid any grief though!

Gents I have to print a retraction and apologise to the forum.

My friend’s (grandfather’s) watch is a different one to the one in this thread. although both watches are identical, same ref no/strap/buckle/ inner and outer boxes/document/year and month on the guarantee/both from Garrards and both a 25 year presentation piece from Wimpy!

The similarities are quite incredible, however the engraved surname is different.
    Sorry I didn’t notice, one of the hazards of looking on a phone instead of computer.
    I fall on my sword.
    Hopefully the rozzers are not on their way to Grangemouth.

Master
    Gents I have to print a retraction and apologise to the forum.

My friend’s (grandfather’s) watch is a different one to the one in this thread. although both watches are identical, same ref no/strap/buckle/ inner and outer boxes/document/year and month on the guarantee/both from Garrards and both a 25 year presentation piece from Wimpy!

The similarities are quite incredible, however the engraved surname is different.
    Sorry I didn’t notice, one of the hazards of looking on a phone instead of computer.
    I fall on my sword.
    Hopefully the rozzers are not on their way to Grangemouth.
    So could such things as these identical details be easily faked or reproduced?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    So could such things as these identical details be easily faked or reproduced?

Yes but I think it’s extremely unlikely.
    The watch in this thread looks correct to me, from the very poor photos.
    An extremely typical presentation piece, (Rolex and Omega, my own dad has a very similar looking Omega) given from 1950’s to 1980ish.

Inside the snap back should be something like a manual wind cal 1200 movement.
    The whole thing should be yellow gold, 9k or 18k

Steff I’ve deleted your pm’s by mistake.

That explains it. Thank goodness no scam was intended.

BTW I have always had a soft spot from Wimpey, as a friend of my parents, who sadly died too young, was high up in the company and took time to show me, as a young boy, round some of their building sites and have rides on the diggers and dumpers.

Assuming you mean Wimpey construction and not Wimpy hamburgers. Although I had a soft spot for them too.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

Assuming you mean Wimpey construction and not Wimpy hamburgers. Although I had a soft spot for them too.
    Lol, v good.

Try Facebook marketplace for fraud/scams, so many people contact me about a camera I have for sale, always ends up with an offer for the asking price plus postage, normally their profile is some old person who’s had their account hacked or an Eastern European/Russian.

I’m not sure how the scam works but it’s obvious they rid of your expensive goods and don’t pay a penny..