closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What qualifications are actually needed to become an AD?

Master
    Blog Entries

What qualifications are actually needed to become an AD?

An experience yesterday got me thinking - what qualifications does one actually need to become an AD (except deep pockets and a busy shopfront) and what does your status give you?

I went in for what (I thought) was a simple request for a strap only to be told they couldnt order one unless I brought my watch in so they could get the model and serial number (my word on the model wasn't acceptable). Apparently they needed to give all this information to someone else for them to order it instead....

Am I being unreasonable in assuming they would require some level of product knowledge and be given access to catalogues? Do they even have a choice about what they stock?

Master
    Surely a 22mm strap is a 22mm strap? Why do they need to see the actual watch?

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Surely a 22mm strap is a 22mm strap? Why do they need to see the actual watch?
    They want to supply the one that’s an option for the particular watch, not a random one?

I had a similar experience with a local Omega AD in 2020. I posted about it in this thread -

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ations-problem

'My wife's Seamaster bracelet decided to fall to bits in April. Tried to contact the Glasgow boutique by phone & email to buy a replacement - both methods were unsuccessful.

After lockdown eased, I contacted my local Omega AD. I was told I had to bring the watch in for inspection, as they wouldn't order a bracelet without having the watch in hand.

It took about five days from dropping the watch off to getting it back with a new bracelet (and, wait for it, complimentary new spring bars!).

I know someone will want to know how much it cost. £570...'
    ______

​Jim.

I genuinely think the owner of my local Greggs knows more about the sausage rolls he sells than an AD - or watch shop - knows about their stock of watches tbh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably only slightly more than you heed to be an mp

Grand Master
    Imagine how frustrating I find it!

Besides being active as a repairer I’m still a collector at heart, I tried to buy a replacement rose gold buckle for a 1950 Omega Seamaster a couple of years back from the ‘Omega Boutique’ in Leeds. The attitude of the staff was total disinterest with vague comments about having to bring the watch in and have it fitted. I wanted a 16mm buckle, I could even give the Omega part number, but all I got was a stony look that said it all. I’m sure some ADs are still helpful but they’re in a minority thesedays. Trying to establish any rapport with the monkeys at Leeds was impossible, absolutely no help whatsoever.

Regarding the buckle, it’s an item I would've ordered from Cousins with no trouble a few years ago for approx £15. I usually kept a steel and a yellow gold one in stock, I often fitted them to watches I’d fixed, but they’re no longer available. Predictably, fakes/replicas/ copies are available on ebay but quality is variable, especially the gold plated stuff.

How the attitude towards supplying parts helps anyone is beyond me, its trivial and its silly, just sell people what they want to buy.

I suspect many of the folks running ADs nowadays don’t know much about watches!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps some brands wont supply bracelet or strap parts that aren't commensurate with the model of watch, regardless of whether it fits or not.

Just received a strap from Nomos. Wasn’t asked to go there to present the watch. How cavalier.

I agree. Same with all that crap about wanting to know you before they sell a watch.

What a load of owd b0ll0cks

At a guess, most ADs will be chiefly populated by minimum-wage salesdrones working to a distributor's 'hymn sheet' and motivated by sales incentives - their job is to sell you what They want to sell you, not what You want. To do that, they need sales training, not product knowledge. 99% of punters will know nothing whatsoever and thus be easy meat; I've no doubt WIS are a minority arse-pain for them.

I'd imagine the average Joe walking in with an elderly Omega with a knackered bracelet is going to be upsold pretty hard - not just an entire new bracelet (as evidenced above), but also servicing, or even a new watch if the dealership can swing it.

Master
    I tried to order a leather strap for my Zenith pilot through an AD 2 or 3 years ago. They would not order one until they had the watch in their hands. Seems Zenith don't want an OEM strap/bracelet on a non Zenith watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Perhaps some brands wont supply bracelet or strap parts that aren't commensurate with the model of watch, regardless of whether it fits or not.
    To flesh this out a little - the watch in question was a GO Panomatic Lunar:

- I knew the model number of the watch
    - It's a current retail model
    - The AD had an example in the window (albeit in another colour)
    - The manufacturer actually supplies the watch with the strap I wanted as an option.

I actually sent the manufacturer an email asking for the strap reference code and cost, to which I got a reply within an hour with the reference and RRP and they advised that any dealer could order it....

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I tried to order a leather strap for my Zenith pilot through an AD 2 or 3 years ago. They would not order one until they had the watch in their hands. Seems Zenith don't want an OEM strap/bracelet on a non Zenith watch.
    Exactly, it’s more about proving you’ve got the watch to go with the strap rather than anything else.

I’m not sure how much ADs know either really. One recently told me the watch I was buying was waterproof…

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Omega store on Regent Street has posted me out the correct rubber strap for a 2007 SeMP - which Berrys in Notthingham failed to do, twice, and wanted to try drilling the case to get the springbars to fit (they were determined to use a Planet Ocean strap) - and also sent me the adjustable clasp for the modern screw-adjustable SeMP bracelet. On neither occasion did I have to show the watch.

Boutique 2, High Street AD 0 so far

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Exactly, it’s more about proving you’ve got the watch to go with the strap rather than anything else.

I’m not sure how much ADs know either really. One recently told me the watch I was buying was waterproof…
    well - some do say so on their website

as regards bracelets and straps I guess it’s to show you own the watch. I certainly couldn’t get an Oysterflex without presenting my 126655 first.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    as regards bracelets and straps I guess it’s to show you own the watch. I certainly couldn’t get an Oysterflex without presenting my 126655 first.
    I suppose for some brands where fakes are a real issue, they could argue necessity but even then mostly these straps can be found from the OE suppliers online at 25% of the cost? It wasn't as if I wanted the clasp also, though I may do if I like the strap enough.

Anyway, I got them to order it, but it was a faff I wasn't really expecting for a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I don’t even think that is necessarily the case. I reckon that it depends on the AD.

Me: I think my 114060 would look good on an Oysterflex, can you order me one please?

AD: well if you really want one, then yes. But we won’t fit it to your submariner for you, as it isn’t a factory option. You will have to do it yourself.

Me: Thanks, I will let you know if I want one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I don’t even think that is necessarily the case. I reckon that it depends on the AD.

Me: I think my 114060 would look good on an Oysterflex, can you order me one please?

AD: well if you really want one, then yes. But we won’t fit it to your submariner for you, as it isn’t a factory option. You will have to do it yourself.

Me: Thanks, I will let you know if I want one.
    You are missing the point.

Companies such as Rolex, Omega and Zenith want everyone of their watches to be fitted with genuine parts including straps which you will only be able to buy either through them or an accredited outlet/repairer. The last thing they want as part of the brand enhancing programme is watches floating around with the integrity of the product being compromised.

I suppose up until now buying the watch was the expensive bit but now maintaining an expensive watch is about to become more expensive.

It will almost certainly upset many WIS's but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Companies such as Rolex, Omega and Zenith want everyone of their watches to be fitted with genuine parts including straps which you will only be able to buy either through them or an accredited outlet/repairer. The last thing they want as part of the brand enhancing programme is watches floating around with the integrity of the product being compromised.

I suppose up until now buying the watch was the expensive bit but now maintaining an expensive watch is about to become more expensive.

It will almost certainly upset many WIS's but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    Rolex, Omega and Zenith can't control what strap I choose to put on my watch. If the restrict me from buying a strap I want from them, I just buy a non-OEM strap from elsewhere. How exactly does that help the brand?

The reality is it's most likely an exclusivity thing. If you want that Oysterflex or that Snoopy strap or w/e, then queue up and buy the watch mentality. Not saying that's right/wrong, just how it is.

Master
    I have to admit that even though I support the watch makers in trying to restrict the supply of parts, I do think that some flexiblity could be given on the fitting of a non OEM strap. The only argument in support of it is that a cheap looking strap degrades the brand image but it is a ropey argument to be honest.

Master
    No hint given as to what the watch is but as an example here any swatch group brand now sells on a strictly limited basis. No third parties, no grey market. Rolex, who would happily supply parts in years gone by, now insist on seeing the watch and keeping whatever comes off it.

Lots of guesswork as to AD staff training, I found it much like anywhere else, i.e. a basic level of training given and extra information there if you want it. Most brands will choose a store ambassador and send them on expensive courses, making them the go-to store guru, I've no idea if that's the case still. Personally I liked to be gen'd up on what I was selling but only because I had a fascination with watches anyway.
    Please remember these are sales staff ("drones", if you want to be a condescending p***k, though I'd give a good hiding to anyone that called me that). It's a job, not a lifestyle or a hobby, getting someone who shares your interest is not the normal, and if they do share your interest it's probably a show to sell you more stuff. If I was selling glasses frames in an opticians or cupboard door handles, I'd be putting in the bare minimum effort too.
    Trying to show up sale staff by quoting the model number of your watch instead of its commonly known name is not the super impressive "boss move" you think it is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    No hint given as to what the watch is but as an example here any swatch group brand now sells on a strictly limited basis. No third parties, no grey market. Rolex, who would happily supply parts in years gone by, now insist on seeing the watch and keeping whatever comes off it.
    Unless you pay for it - Rolex were happy to let me keep a replaced bezel for a fee. It seems they change policy to suit themselves, which speaks to me about money rather than any "brand protection".

Trying to show up sale staff by quoting the model number of your watch instead of its commonly known name is not the super impressive "boss move" you think it is.
    See my above clarifying post - it was GO - and I did not quote a watch model, they said to me that they needed to know the model number as justification for requiring me to go home and get the watch, so I provided the model number (notwithstanding they actually had the same model in their window and then said they needed the serial number too).

Anyway, it's on order and it seems that really this is all down to the inconsistent whim of retailers and manufacturers
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 11th July 2022 at 15:59.

I'd say a minimum of A*/A*/A* at A-level. It's not like anyone can do it.

Well given that I am talking about a Rolex oysterflex being fitted to a Rolex, I am not sure what point I am missing!🤣

Also Rolex St. James had no problem giving me a couple of new springbars for my 14060M, when I called in wearing the watch on a tatty old NATO.

They didn’t say that sir really shouldn’t wear the watch on a tatty old NATO.🤣

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Well given that I am talking about a Rolex oysterflex being fitted to a Rolex, I am not sure what point I am missing!藍

Also Rolex St. James had no problem giving me a couple of new springbars for my 14060M, when I called in wearing the watch on a tatty old NATO.

They didn’t say that sir really shouldn’t wear the watch on a tatty old NATO.藍
    The point is that many makers will not now allow an AD to work on one of their watches unless it leaves their premises totally original and that includes the strap or bracelet. It's a bit harsh but it's the new ruling. You were asking for the wrong strap on the wrong model so it's a no - no.

Grand Master
    The point is that many makers will not now allow an AD to work on one of their watches unless it leaves their premises totally original and that includes the strap or bracelet. It's a bit harsh but it's the new ruling. You were asking for the wrong strap on the wrong model so it's a no - no.
    Rolex need to remind themselves who owns the watch. Arrogant Swiss twats, Most of the big Swiss manufacturers are no better. Once they’ve sold rhe watch they no longer own it, the arrogant bastards need reminding of that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rolex need to remind themselves who owns the watch. Arrogant Swiss twats, Most of the big Swiss manufacturers are no better. Once they’ve sold rhe watch they no longer own it, the arrogant bastards need reminding of that.

You need reminding that the parts belong to them and they have the right to sell them to whomever they chose.

But they didn’t say no!😀

It’s almost as though you didn’t bother to read what I had typed.🤣🤣

Master
    >what qualifications does one actually need to become an AD<

Obsequious, condescending, deceitful, venal, ingratiating.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    It's a job, not a lifestyle or a hobby, getting someone who shares your interest is not the normal, and if they do share your interest it's probably a show to sell you more stuff. If I was selling glasses frames in an opticians or cupboard door handles, I'd be putting in the bare minimum effort too.
    Shows an incredibly poor work ethic which is the problem that the OP has been referring to. When I was first starting out in the working world, I was motivated to be the best I could be at whatever job that was (some of which most of the posters on this forum wouldn't entertain). I think that your comment shows what the problem is with modern retail in general. Most people working there are simply clock watching for the moment they are able to go home and don't really care about the hours preceding that. Many will be dreaming of that perfect job which in their eyes means doing sweet f.a. for the maximum amount of income, completely oblivious to the fact that the company paying their wages has to make a profit and when that company goes under, they just move on to the next retail outlet and repeat the process.

One less recognised qualification is the ability to deal with whinging self entitled customers looking to blame someone for the difficulty in getting desired watches or at desired prices.
    Like most/all sales professionals.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 12th July 2022 at 04:50.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rolex need to remind themselves who owns the watch. Arrogant Swiss t***s, Most of the big Swiss manufacturers are no better. Once they’ve sold rhe watch they no longer own it, the arrogant b******s need reminding of that.
    You may want to remind yourself that this is Watch talk and tone your language down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update on said strap order:

16/7/22: Received price by email along with estimate of 2 week wait - gave go ahead for it to be ordered, along with request for pricing on OE pin buckle/clasps

No communication since.

Was passing through town today so dropped in to enquire....

- Sales assistant on holiday
    - No record of them having ordered the strap
    - No record of buckle/clasp price requested.
    - Extremely embarassed new assistant promises to chase it all up.

Great service chaps, awesome.

Some years ago I tried to order a rubber strap for a 2254 from an Omega boutique.
    The SA said they couldn’t order it without seeing the watch.
    Another boutique said that “that watch was never available on a rubber strap and one wasn’t available”
    When I quoted the part number they again said it wasn’t for that watch and wouldn’t supply it.
    Eventually an assistant at Westfield took my order for a 98000085 strap.
    I didn’t mention the words 2254 and they didn’t ask.
    It arrived a few days later with free postage and a complimentary buckle.

BTEC Drama?

Craftsman
    Asian ADs are not that bad, same for some European ones. This mess in predominantly a UK thing at the moment, which hopefully is not expanding.

I experienced something similar 3yrs ago when a 'prestigious' AD requested to see papers to sell me a leather strap for a Cartier Ballon bleu. Although I showed them the watch, B&P were at my house in China but they insisted they need to see the papers to do so.. I evenually purchased it from a Chinese AD when I got there, it took 45 minutes as item was in stock..

I now want to send my Oysterquartz for service via the same UK AD and I sh*t my pants knowing to expect the unexpected..

Master
    Wow, so glad I use the AD that I do -not Rolex- always helpful nothing too much bother, ordered a strap(s) from a different model due to a better colour match to the face and fitted it while I waited, maybe I’m just lucky.
    When I worked as parts adviser in a garage always happy to order by part number, get paid up front and non returnable if wrong, very rarely did it go wrong though, always treat the customer as you’d like treated yourself was my motto, even if they are stroppy for whatever reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update 2:

6/9/22
    No email or phone call, dropped into AD. Third different sales assistant. No idea whats happening, emailed "their contact at Glashutte". Apparently they were waiting for the buckle to arrive before sending it with the strap. Estimate another week.

15/09/22
    Phone call: "Your buckle has arrived".
    Me: "What about the strap?"
    Assistant: "No idea, erm, I'll chase it up"

15min later:
    Phone call: "Oh we do have it for you"

Exceptionally high staff turnover? Lack of staff training? No idea. But 2 months to get a strap and buckle that Glashutte in Germany told me by email was in stock and readily available.

At this rate it would be shop retailers' own fault if brands decided to put their items online for purchase.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 15th September 2022 at 17:08.

Craftsman
    Wherever possible I bypass ADs and deal with the manufacturer direct.

Craftsman
    Most boutiques are the same, particularly with straps. The exception, for me at least, was the JLC boutique, who couldn’t be happier to supply within me with whatever strap I wanted without seeing the watch; albeit I did pay £240 for a bit of fabric and some leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    Most boutiques are the same, particularly with straps. The exception, for me at least, was the JLC boutique, who couldn’t be happier to supply within me with whatever strap I wanted without seeing the watch; albeit I did pay £240 for a bit of fabric and some leather.
    Not so for the JLC boutique in Harrods. I wanted a strap for my MC Geographique. They wanted to see the watch. Wasn't wearing it at the time and I don't live in London nor do I visit very often but I did have the warranty papers with me and even showed them pictures of me wearing it.

Not good enough sir we have to see the watch.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Not good enough sir we have to see the watch.
    I can't imagine what they are trying to prove, other than that they are purveyors of second rate customer service!