closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Real Ray Ban ??

Real Ray Ban ??

Is there a sure fire way of telling if your Ray ban are genuine?

I’ve had a pair of new Wayfarer sunglasses stuck in a draw since 2013. I’m pretty sure they are the real deal, but of course I don’t want to ruin my eyes wearing fake ones.
    I originally got the glasses from Discount sunglasses, but when they arrived the box looked a bit battered, and the little RB engraved logo instead of being on the outside of the lens, was on the inside? I was unsure so I just never wore them, been in a drawer even since. Real of fake do you think?

Any help would be appreciated, just tell me what pictures you need.

Thank you,

Pete.

Last edited by Zephyr; 10th July 2022 at 12:10. Reason: Pictures.

It will be pretty hard to tell from pictures they are just plastic and glass after all. As a start maybe some images of the markings on the inside of the arms, the RB engraving and general pictures may help. The engravings are on the outside for all Raybans I own (either B&L or Lx)
    The key is the quality of lenses and you can only really tell with them in hand
    Any idea on what lenses they have? B15, G15, polarised?

G15 based on the label on the lens?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It will be pretty hard to tell from pictures they are just plastic and glass after all. As a start maybe some images of the markings on the inside of the arms, the RB engraving and general pictures may help. The engravings are on the outside for all Raybans I own (either B&L or Lx)
    The key is the quality of lenses and you can only really tell with them in hand
    Any idea on what lenses they have? B15, G15, polarised?

Thank you, a few pictures added. The lenses seem really good when wearing them, fit and finish seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    G15 based on the label on the lens?
    I’ve only just uploaded them lol

SydR
    The fakes generally deviate from the genuine article in the arm hinges. Your look very much like those used in real thing, which is a good sign.

Master
    I have wayfarers with a G-15 lens. I cannot read the white writing on the arm through the lens in the way I can with your photo.

Equally to see the engraving of RB I need to hold it up to a light source. I put it on a black leather mat, like yours and it was just black. Unless it is the lighting triggering it.

Blog Entries
    In all honesty you have had these nine years unworn instead of asking on a forum if they are the genuine article just bite the bullet and get a new pair from an RB authorised dealer?
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    In all honesty you have had these nine years unworn instead of asking on a forum if they are the genuine article just bite the bullet and get a new pair from an RB authorised dealer?

I have got other Ray Bans, I was just going though some stuff and found them so I thought I’d ask.

Looks like they are the real deal.

Before.

Through the lens.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect thank you. Looks like they are real, much appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Glad I could help. They may or may not be the real thing (I think they are) but at least they won’t damage your eyes.

Look real to me, and made in Italy to boot!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    Was that an intended pun?
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Look real to me, and made in Italy to boot!

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    They look ok to me on the face of it and I sell them.
    Script on the inner side appears to be the correct font and layout, model and colour code check out, 2132 are the new wayfarer. I've had red ones but I don't think I have any now.
    Lens engravings are what I would expect so all in all, without actually handling them, which can be critical too, they look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    They look ok to me on the face of it and I sell them.
    Script on the inner side appears to be the correct font and layout, model and colour code check out, 2132 are the new wayfarer. I've had red ones but I don't think I have any now.
    Lens engravings are what I would expect so all in all, without actually handling them, which can be critical too, they look ok.

Perfect. Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Was that an intended pun?

No, sadly I'm not that witty!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I’m pretty sure they are the real deal, but of course I don’t want to ruin my eyes wearing fake ones.
    Even Poundland sunglasses and cheaply £1.99 sunglasses from Primark carry the CE mark, guaranteeing UV protection.

I used them all the time for my kids as disposable beach sunglasses in the knowledge they had the CE mark

So, I’m sure you would have nothing to worry about even if they were not real deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    No, sadly I'm not that witty!

Lol but clearly that honest.

Being a lifelong glasses wearer, the wife lets me buy Ray Bans when I need new glasses, they are not as exclusive as they used to be, others like Oakley and Saint Laurent are more expensive, what they are though are good solid frames that can take a bit of stick as the frames are quite thick, apart from the Ray Lites which are lovely and light but absolutely rubbish for everyday wear, as I found out, the hinges are a vert simple pivot and sprain as soon as you wear them, this hinge was only on sale for 1 year and I rarely wear mine, the sunnies you have look very similar to mine with the colours reversed, I think they are the same model but there are slight differences, all mine come from Vision Express and are prescription so I know they are all genuine but if you want any detailed pics of the sunnies let me know.

Oh and if they are new, the lenses will be by LuXOTICA

Just noticed the hinges are also different to mine, the red sunnies are from the same era as yours.

Last edited by Dangermouse64; 13th July 2022 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    Being a lifelong glasses wearer, the wife lets me buy Ray Bans when I need new glasses, they are not as exclusive as they used to be, others like Oakley and Saint Laurent are more expensive, what they are though are good solid frames that can take a bit of stick as the frames are quite thick, apart from the Ray Lites which are lovely and light but absolutely rubbish for everyday wear, as I found out, the hinges are a vert simple pivot and sprain as soon as you wear them, this hinge was only on sale for 1 year and I rarely wear mine, the sunnies you have look very similar to mine with the colours reversed, I think they are the same model but there are slight differences, all mine come from Vision Express and are prescription so I know they are all genuine but if you want any detailed pics of the sunnies let me know.

Oh and if they are new, the lenses will be by LuXOTICA

Being prescription you might not be able to help: your lenses may not be BL (or RB) and even if they are they will not be standard.

Being prescription you might not be able to help: your lenses may not be BL (or RB) and even if they are they will not be standard.
    Rayban do produce prescription lenses to the same standard as the non prescription. It’s the reason I prefer them.
    I have 2 pairs of G15 that are equal quality to my non script pairs.

Some opticians will put non RB lenses in RB frames though, so you have to be careful and specify what you want. I had this exact argument with them when I had bought my first pair.

But the frames will or should be identical, I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Even Poundland sunglasses and cheaply £1.99 sunglasses from Primark carry the CE mark, guaranteeing UV protection.

I used them all the time for my kids as disposable beach sunglasses in the knowledge they had the CE mark

So, I’m sure you would have nothing to worry about even if they were not real deal.
    Except some crafty Chinese companies mark their products 'CE', which they say, all innocent like, means Chinese Export. Quite coincidentally, the typestyle they use for these two letters is uncannily similar to the European quality mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Rayban do produce prescription lenses to the same standard as the non prescription. It’s the reason I prefer them.
    I have 2 pairs of G15 that are equal quality to my non script pairs.

Some opticians will put non RB lenses in RB frames though, so you have to be careful and specify what you want. I had this exact argument with them when I had bought my first pair.
    Indeed. What I meant was that as it would be a special order the lenses would be non standard, and as such any difference with the OP's would not be conclusive. And yes, the frame should be identical; yet I recently purchased from RayBan directly a pair of New Wayfarer to replace the one Mrs SJ had broken in a bike fall. She wanted exactly the same, and she got them (same everything, especially the sizes) but with a slightly different marking (I don't have the old one anymore so cannot remember exactly where the difference was, but confirmed by phone with RB customer support that it was indeed the very same model). The old ones also came from RB direct, albeit in the US.

Master
    OP, I wear New Wayfarer as my daily glasses and have done for the last 5 years. As such, I have a rather large collection of G-15 lenses left over. All my family have left over frames and lenses.

If you want me to post you a pair of genuine lenses for you to fit yourself, then drop me a pm with your address. Popping them out is very easy to do. At least you are 100% they are then genuine lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    OP, I wear New Wayfarer as my daily glasses and have done for the last 5 years. As such, I have a rather large collection of G-15 lenses left over. All my family have left over frames and lenses.

If you want me to post you a pair of genuine lenses for you to fit yourself, then drop me a pm with your address. Popping them out is very easy to do. At least you are 100% they are then genuine lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s very kind of you thank you. Sending PM.