closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC July 22 - it’s been a while…….

Blog Entries

SOTC July 22 - it’s been a while…….

So, following my post yesterday about watches looking similar I decided to do something that I haven’t done for far too long. Since my last SOTC my stable has ballooned, I was - and remain - a serial flipper. However, in recent times I have been buying but not moving others on - to the chagrin of my good (and long suffering lady wife). I keep promising myself to shift some of these but, even though some barely/ ever get worn, I decide not to.
    So, apologies in advance, this is a photo heavy post - and I am no professional but hopefully you will get the idea (My name is James and I am a kleptomaniac).
    First up, G Shocks, a selection of MTGs and one MRG, I like these because people have no idea of their value. Additionally, the quality of finish is right up there.

Then we have CWC SBS, Synchron Military, TAG Heuer Nightdiver, Omega Seamaster Ceramic

Next, MB Microtec Audi Sport Chrono, MoonSwatch Jupiter, and Prestige Watches International (Orfina) Hand winding Chrono

Then we have a TAG Heuer Ti5 Chronograph, quite rare in this condition these days - and a full set.

Followed by my sole Rolex at the moment, the Hulk

Then the Porsche Design Date Timer Eternity, in bronze PVD’d Titanium. I just love the class that this design projects.

Another design inspired choice, Ventura Ice Hardened Titanium by Hannes Wettstein. The simplicity of the creamy silver dial combined with the heat blued hands and appliqué indicators just work perfectly.

A left field one now, Bulgari Aluminium Steve Aoki LE, full lume dial which shows Aoki’s logo when ‘lit up’. Boutique only LE and quite rare.

Another unusual watch, ZRC Grand Fonds 300m diver, fantastic level of quality of finishing. Crown lock is also quite quirky too.

Zodiac Super Seawolf Liberty limited edition. Comes with a purple Tropic rubber which really pulls out the purple details on the dial. The lume also is a pink/ purple colour, not the usual blue/ green.

Early limited edition Ennebi Fondale PVD 1 of 150, Ennebi Bronzo 1 of 100. Hand made in Firenze and forum darlings in the early 2000s.

Ennebi Tridente X Mas Destro in Titanium. Series was 20 watches made for serving combat divers (the case number matches their helmet number), this particular watch was the only Destro. As an aside I also have a copy of the original owner’s Combat Diver qualification certificate.

Hamilton Ventura, Elvis Presley 75th (?) anniversary LE, I just like the shape of this one - but never enough to have actually worn it.

Oakley Timebomb 2, I am a sucker for modern hi tech materials, Ti, forged carbon and carbon fibre - ground breaking when this watch came out.

Grand Seiko SBGX293 Anti-magnetic HAQ, in the words of Alan Partridge ‘this is like a Japanese Milgauss’

Laco Type A B-Uhr LE 55mm, a big beast but actually surprisingly wearable on my 8 1/4” wrist. I love the history and style of these but the 42/44mm versions just don’t look ‘right’ - other opinions may vary.

Original, and complete, WW2 Elgin USN BUShips watch. I was very pleased to find this in America and even managed to source a genuine USGI strap to put it on. The polar opposite size wise relative to the Laco, but even though it is small the canteen crown makes it wear bigger.

Vietnam war period Benrus DTU 2A/P on original period USGI nylon, obviously spring bars showing were not so important to the US Army as they are to us WISs.

Vietnam war period disposable field watch, again on original nylon, like a forerunner to Swatch if you will…..

Benrus field watch - reissue

Sturmanskie Handwound reissue - the first Space watch per se, which will lead us nicely into my Space based aspect of the collection.

Undone Spacex Crew Dragon LE, released to celebrate the first manned Spacex docking with the ISS. The full lume dial is lovely on this.

Omega X33 type 1, a cracking under the radar watch that really in so distinctive in its appearance. Crazy that this style is 35 years old next year.

Casio G Shock STS 1 LE, to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Space Shuttle programme.

Werenbach Soyuz Material, Russia/USA collaboration delivering Astronaut to the ISS LE. This watch has a piece of the US flag that painted onto the Soyuz Rocket Booster inserted into the dial. It also has an NFC chip that links your smartphone to the ISS Live Feed, gimmicky but pretty cool.

Bulova Lunar Pilot watch

Seiko Pogue, a watch the really is like a snap shot of the 70’s - and all the better for it.

Bulova Accutron Astronaut GMT, the watch of choice for the Gemini Astronaut and USAF Blackbird pilots. Amazing technology for it’s time - and the hum that they make, just lovely.

Finally (I hear you say….) last, but not least, Bulova Accutron Spaceview. Another of those watches that almost seems to tell the time as well as looking like something from the future.

If you’ve got this far congratulations, I’ve had enough typing it - let alone reading it. Apologies that some of the pictures are a little blurry, I hope that you get the idea in spite of this.
    Thanks for looking in, my name is James and I’m a watchaholic.

And I thought I had a problem..

Kidding of course :)! Love your collection, thanks for sharing.

That’s a great collection, some very interesting watches featured.
    The ZRC, Acutron and Tridente X are all watches I would like to own but the UDT - Buships is the best I have seen. Fantastic watch.

Master
    That is quite a lot of watches. If you had to wind and set them all it would be like painting the forth bridge!

OMG
    Great collection.
    But I wouldn’t even know which one to wear!
    Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the outsider it looks like quite the mishmash, but I'm sure there's logic and reason to them all. I do like the Pogue.

A fabulous and varied collection you have there. You might not believe this but I swear it’s true. This morning I saw someone on TV wearing an unusually shaped watch that I thought reminded me of those Oakley watches from a good few years ago. I couldn’t remember the name of them so left it to have a Google tonight and then waddya-know, yours appears!!

Master
    I think that’s the most varied collection I’ve ever seen!

Some really interesting pieces in there.

Great eclectic collection.

Good to see someone wearing watches they obviously enjoy rather than stuff they think they 'should' be wearing.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    ... rather than stuff they think they 'should' be wearing.

Mitch
    Don't berate yourself, I'm sure you're not the only one.

Master
    A lovely collection, thank you for sharing . All of your typing is much appreciated.

I do like the Prestige and the Undone. Very cool.

Master
    An extensive collection - I should have read this on the phone and it would have been easier to digest all the pics... Nonetheless, a great selection and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the positive comments guys, this was by far the most time consuming post that I have ever made. The collection falls into three distinctive areas Space themed, military issued/ inspired, and then other stuff……
    Those that know me from the many face to faces over the years will know that I am ‘an individual’. I like different, and I like to wear watches that I am unlikely to see another of.
    The Rolex was a 50th birthday present to myself, in the days when you could walk into an AD and buy there and then. To that end it is a true keeper that will be passed to my son at some point.
    I have a Snoopy Moonwatch that has been paid for for about 18 months now, that will be passed to my daughter (Given I have paid in full and have an Omega order number I was told I will get one - at some point).
    Anyway, again thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.
    James

Master
    That is one seriously varied collection there, many of those are new to me.

Bonkers collection, I love it. The "Japanese Milgauss" is one I wouldn't mind trying one day.

Not sure why but scrolling through I was expecting to see a Marathon.

Fantastic collection so many stand out watches there but love the vintage stuff and the Ennebi watches. Space watch stuff was also great to see.

Sturmanskie Gagarin reissue all day long

Nice collection bud.

Enjoyable read through your post, thanks for sharing the varied collection!

Great collection and a really enjoyable, positive read.

Love the Elgin and Benrus' and we have a similar taste in general, especially the Undone Spacex and other space related watches.

Kind of made the Hulk look a bit 'run of the mill' in the middle of such an interesting collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Great eclectic collection.

Good to see someone wearing watches they obviously enjoy rather than stuff they think they 'should' be wearing.

Mitch

Superb!

Awesome collection and a great post. Many thanks.

That’s a great collection, thanks for sharing.

My favourites are the three from Ennebi, bonkers yet brilliant.

Dave

That’s a mega collection, great post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great collection James and nice to see you still have the Bulova Astronaut going strong.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a lovely collection! Really like the GS "Milgauss"

Craftsman
    Fabulous collection.....there's something for everyone in there.

Love a SOTC thread & you sir most defiantly have a collection. Several stand out for me, the Porsche Design (how does that leather strap attach to the case / lugs)? Orfina, Tag Heuer Night Diver, Zodiac LE purple & gotta love a Seiko Pogue. Wear them all in good heath sir.