closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing a Permanent Link on a Tudor / Rolex Oyster Bracelet

Master

Removing a Permanent Link on a Tudor / Rolex Oyster Bracelet

I have a need to remove a fixed / permanent link from the 6 o'clock side of my Tudor 78500 Oyster bracelet - the standard 5 links on this side is too many for my wrist size.
    I've done the usual internet research & seen how some have achieved this by butchering the last link (before the clasp link) to remove it - but have also found the method in the link below :-

https://www.rolliworks.com/post/oyst...link-explained

Removing the clasp link seems the best method as it can be reversed if required - also looks like it could be quite easily achieved by someone with the required skill level / tools.

I would be sending my bracelet off to these guys if they were not in Miami - so i'm wondering if anyone has had this done or could recommend anyone (in the UK) who might be able carry out the clasp link removal for me?
    I know there are quite a few skilled watchmakers on the forum, so hoping someone may be able to help out.

Thanks.

Master
    Silly question but have you ever tried to reverse the bracelet? i.e. remove the bracelet and attach what was the 6 oclock side to the 12 oclock side of the case. It may or may not help.

I have small wrists and I found that on my 14060m it made the bracelet sit far better and also that the clasp was centered. Yes, it feels weird at first because the clasp opens the opposite way but you soon get used to it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 8th July 2022 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Silly question but have you ever tried to reverse the bracelet? i.e. remove the bracelet and attach what was the 6 oclock side to the 12 oclock side of the case. It may or may not help.

I have small wrists and I found that on y 14060m it made the bracelet sit far better and also that the clasp was centered. Yes, it feels weird at first because the clasp opens the opposite way but you soon get used to it.

Cheers
    I have done this and found it fitted better but you can just unscrew the clasp and turn it round.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I have done this and found it fitted better but you can just unscrew the clasp and turn it round.
    You are a smarter man than me! Ha Ha

Grand Master
    Interesting solution too an infuriating problem, the reason I sold a non-date Sub years ago was due to this fault, the 6 side couldn't be made short enough to get the watch to sit nicely on my 6.75" square wrist.

Not sure the making of a rivet is within the skillset of most repairers, I think there's a better way of doing this but I`ve no intention of trying it, messing about with Rolex bracelets isn`t something I wish to get involved with thesedays, back in 2008 when I sold the Sub I didn`t have the skills or experience to sort this out.

For such a prestigious manufacturer Rolex are great at getting the easy stuff wrong! I owned a 116000 OP 36 recently for a while and that needed a half-link purchasing to get it to fit properly. First and foremost priority when designing a watch bracelet is to be fit all sizes, it isn`t rocket science.

Master
    Reversing the bracelet wouldn't work for me as I need 5 links one side & 4 the other.- so need to remove a link.

It's a shame that rivet isn't a screw or spring bar of some kind!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Reversing the bracelet wouldn't work for me as I need 5 links one side & 4 the other.- so need to remove a link.

It's a shame that rivet isn't a screw or spring bar of some kind!
    Send it to Seth (the watch dealer.co.Uk)he’s taking a permanent link out for my sons 93150 for his 5513 so will be down to 9 links

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Send it to Seth (the watch dealer.co.Uk)he’s taking a permanent link out for my sons 93150 for his 5513 so will be down to 9 links
    I would send it to Seth, but sent him a Rolex 7835 folded link bracelet for refurb in April '21 & still don't have it back yet!

Master
    Yeah, send stuff to Seth and forget you own it. Or be prepared to send him an e mail every month asking for an update.

He gets the job done but it’s a painful process.

Why not buy a copy bracelet and modify that, save the real one as one piece .
    You could even swop over the clasp onto the copy if you really want to.

Not too sure what I was really expecting in the link provided by the OP but forming a mushroom on a steel post whilst in the clasp was not it.

Have you not got a set of rivet tubes ?

I bought some to modify an Alsta onto a ratchet clasp

These

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Why not buy a copy bracelet and modify that, save the real one as one piece .
    You could even swop over the clasp onto the copy if you really want to.
    Not sure I want to be messing with an expensive bracelet myself, so could be my best option if I can’t find someone to remove the link for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    These

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Yep.....that’s how I’d do it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Have you not got a set of rivet tubes ?

I bought some to modify an Alsta onto a ratchet clasp
    Yes, does seem a better solution than bashing a hammer on the side of the clasp!

What about removing the original rivet - how’s that best achieved without damaging clasp or link??
    Last edited by ENES; 9th July 2022 at 23:54.

Same problem with my 16570 polar explorer. At first I turned the clasp around too, much better fit but didn't seem right so I replaced the bracelet with a rugged leather strap. Looks way better, really suits the watch in my opinion, flies under the radar much more and I'm not forever worrying about catching the bracelet on a wall, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Yes, does seem a better solution than bashing a hammer on the side of the clasp!

What about removing the original rivet - how’s that best achieved without damaging clasp or link??
    I think they are pressed so it will need to be pulled apart

Removing a Permanent Link on a Tudor / Rolex Oyster Bracelet

The original rivet in the video was removed by cutting in half wasn’t it?
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 10th July 2022 at 15:05.